Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New 75D faster than 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I took my 2015 85D to service for squeaking roof and wind noise last week, and they gave me a 75D with 10k miles on it as loaner for a about a week.

Almost immediately I felt that the acceleration was just a lot more immediate and “violent” than my 85. Didn’t get to do any 0-60 tests with the 75, but it seems pretty apparent. Just got my 85 back yesterday and again, the difference is pretty noticeable from a standstill.

Per specs they should be same/similar. I wonder if my 85D is somehow defective. It’s not slow by any means, but pretty noticeable difference to the 75D. Or maybe the added weight of the 85 makes it feel more stable and less violent?

Going to do a 0-60 with my 85D tomorrow but this has been bugging me.

85D was uncorked to 4.2 a long while back. It has less initial power but better passing power.
75D uncorking started June 2017 and worked backwards on previously released cars in batches.

75D has higher torque limits for faster acceleration but the 85D has a 400v battery (as opposed to the 350v 75D) and has higher max battery power and less very high speed backEMF. Both result in better high speed passing.

Ah, that makes perfect sense.

I did feel that the 75 wasn’t as fast from 60 onward compared to the 85. I.e. 85 has more to give.

So assuming both 0-60 is equal at 4.2, the 75 prob just has a faster 0-30 or so to give that harder initial punch but 85 catches up in the 30-60 or something like that.

So assuming both 0-60 is equal at 4.2, the 75 prob just has a faster 0-30 or so to give that harder initial punch but 85 catches up in the 30-60 or something like that.

Just as a reference, I used to own an AWD ICE car that would do the 1/4 mile in 11.8 @ 119 mph. This car would do 0-60 in 3.9 seconds and put out 427 hp at all four wheels on a dyno. With that in mind, the car weighed 3400 lbs with me in it so to move a car that weighs almost 5000 lbs from 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is an AMAZING feat.

I had s 2018 75d loaner and did some 0-60 times and was consistently 3.8 to 4.2. Not sure how accurate this was but it felt pretty quick up to 60 and after 60 it felt horribly slow compared to other variations I have driven.

Reactions: croman