Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEMA 14-30 dryer outlet and Camco 14-50 extension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bad idea to connect a Tesla via a NEMA 14-50 adapter to a 30A circuit. If closely monitored, it's likely going to be okay, but you shouldn't make it a regular habit if possible. If you do, I recommend that you build a 14-30 to 10-30 adapter cable and use it with Tesla's 10-30 adapter to prevent overcurrent (or see if you can find a Tesla 14-30 adapter still hanging around).

With the number of Model S's on the road today, and a corresponding number of UMC's, I don't understand why Tesla does not make more adapters. This would make connections easier and safer for Tesla owners.

Here is my list in priority order; I could probably live without the last few, but up to 10-50 would be useful in a reasonable number of locations. The current ratings are connector and breaker ratings. All charging should be at 80% of these current ratings.

1. 14-50 — Most common RV and kitchen range outlet. 240V/50A
  2. 5-15 — The standard 3-prong, 120-Volt, trickle-charge outlet. 120V/15A
  3. 5-20 — 20 Amp, 120 Volt 3-prong outlet. 120V/20A
  4. 10-30 — Old dryer outlet. 240V/30A
  5. 14-30 — New dryer outlet. 240V/30A
  6. TT-30 — 120 Volt RV outlet. 120V/30A
  7. 6-50 — Welder outlet. 240V/50A
  8. 6-20 — Air Conditioner outlet. 240V/20A
  9. 10-50 — Old range outlet. 240V/50A
  10. 6-30 — 240V/30A
  11. 6-15 — 240V/15A
  12. 14-20 — 240V/20A

With just a few more adapters, Tesla could make connecting the UMC to a variety of sources much simpler and safer.

With just a few more adapters, Tesla could make connecting the UMC to a variety of sources much simpler and safer.

I agree. This is one of those things you think would be relatively simple.

(At one point about 18 months ago, I e-mailed Tesla, asking if they would be willing to share their engineering specs for the adapters in exchange for permitting production via third-party. I heard no response.)

The problem here is that some of them require you to manually set the charge amps to a safe level. Most forum members should by now know what the safe levels are, but I suspect a large number of Tesla owners don't. With a Tesla supplied adapter, that problem goes away.

I agree. This is one of those things you think would be relatively simple.
(At one point about 18 months ago, I e-mailed Tesla, asking if they would be willing to share their engineering specs for the adapters in exchange for permitting production via third-party. I heard no response.)
Would you mind asking this question again?

From a safety point of view, I think this is something important that Tesla should address.

The problem here is that some of them require you to manually set the charge amps to a safe level... With a Tesla supplied adapter, that problem goes away.
Hmmm... is that correct? A plug type adaptor, even the 3 Tesla-supplied adapters that come with the UMC (or the no longer available Tesla 14-50 to 14-30 adaptor) , is just a piece of hardware that does not contain any special internal circuitry that figures out what the allowed max amperage can be, as far as I know. Of course I could be wrong. Please explain. Thanks.

Hmmm... is that correct? A plug type adaptor, even the 3 Tesla-supplied adapters that come with the UMC (or the no longer available Tesla 14-50 to 14-30 adaptor) , is just a piece of hardware that does not contain any special internal circuitry that figures out what the allowed max amperage can be, as far as I know. Of course I could be wrong. Please explain. Thanks.

What HankLR said. If you put the 14-50 adapter on it won't go beyond 40 amps. The 5-15 adapter is similar, but if you use a converter to plug in a 14-30 it will still allow 40 amps--not good.

What HLR said. The Tesla UMC adapters each contain a programing resistor that indicates to the UMC what is the maximum current that can be drawn from that plug configuration. The J1772 Pilot signal from the UMC then indicates the maximum current to the Tesla.

With the number of Model S's on the road today, and a corresponding number of UMC's, I don't understand why Tesla does not make more adapters. This would make connections easier and safer for Tesla owners.

Here is my list in priority order; I could probably live without the last few, but up to 10-50 would be useful in a reasonable number of locations. The current ratings are connector and breaker ratings. All charging should be at 80% of these current ratings.

1. 14-50 — Most common RV and kitchen range outlet. 240V/50A
  2. 5-15 — The standard 3-prong, 120-Volt, trickle-charge outlet. 120V/15A
  3. 5-20 — 20 Amp, 120 Volt 3-prong outlet. 120V/20A
  4. 10-30 — Old dryer outlet. 240V/30A
  5. 14-30 — New dryer outlet. 240V/30A
  6. TT-30 — 120 Volt RV outlet. 120V/30A
  7. 6-50 — Welder outlet. 240V/50A
  8. 6-20 — Air Conditioner outlet. 240V/20A
  9. 10-50 — Old range outlet. 240V/50A
  10. 6-30 — 240V/30A
  11. 6-15 — 240V/15A
  12. 14-20 — 240V/20A

It should just come with the car. Including an extension cord. I'm building most of these with a 25' extension cord for $150. Combo 10-30/10-50 by cutting the neutral pin in half, BTW. I hope to _never_ use these, but if I even use them once for the life of the car, it will have been worth it. I'll probably get some cheap 6-* plugs and throw them in the back with a screwdriver, because I've never actually seen these sockets in real life.

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't want to make it yourself, there is a pre-built one available from EVSE Adapters:

NEMA 14-50R to 14-30P or 14-50P Adapter

Yet another thing to carry around instead of just cutting of the neutral?

If Tesla were really clever, they would have made a spring loaded neutral pin that communicated the amperage to the UMC automatically.

It should just come with the car. Including an extension cord. I'm building most of these with a 25' extension cord for $150. Combo 10-30/10-50 by cutting the neutral pin in half, BTW. I hope to _never_ use these, but if I even use them once for the life of the car, it will have been worth it. I'll probably get some cheap 6-* plugs and throw them in the back with a screwdriver, because I've never actually seen these sockets in real life.

This is what I do (carry plugs and screwdriver) - I have a road trip charging kit, where I carry a Camco 14-50 receptacle, connected to an insulated polaris connector in a PVC junction box. Using a number of different plug ends with short conductors, I connect them to the Polaris connectors. These are used for emergency charging only on road trips. In the past two years, however, I've only used the kit twice, the availability of Superchargers for me is really reducing the need.

I've come across them all and have used them for charging.

6-15 and 6-20: Window A/C units (6-20 at my parents' home, 6-15/6-20 in many hotel rooms). For this one, I carry small pigtail adapters that allow me to plug the Tesla 5-15 / 5-20 adapters into the 6-15 / 6-20. They're labeled six ways from Sunday.
6-30: Brand new Best Western, Arcola, IL - in the maintenance office - used primarily for an air compressor.
6-50: Welding shops.

It's important to note that I use these for emergency charging only, and I don't rely on them for daily, weekly, or even as infrequent as monthly basis.

The EAVES Adapters "Universal" adapter - which I bought - simply has the neutral removed....so it you are at least semi-awake and can check out the situation (or look at the circuit breaker on the circuit you are plugging into, which I do), this generic adapter is really convenient - it does it all...

I would have just cut off the neutral on the Tesla adapter, but I got the EAVES with a 10 ft extension, which has helped me reach where I needed to go...