Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor took delivery today - received 2022 build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Uh, as long as the model year is right. And there are nothing wrong from the inspection and test drive. I think one should just move on. Probably a left over inventory model refused by someone over the small defects. Some people are really really picky you know. I bet the restock takes time too.

If she’s happy with the car then let her be happy. As long as the car was never registered before, they can legally sell it as new even if it was 10 years old.
There is at least one exception. In Colorado a vehicle can't be sold as new once it has more than 1500 miles on the odometer. (Even if it is only a month old and has never been registered before.)

She bought it new, and she doesn’t speak much English, so she wouldn’t have had the wherewithal to purchase an inventory model.

Really? When going through the standard order process there is a step that offers faster delivery with a discount for an inventory vehicle, and it is the default:

1695401923114.png

You actually have to try and do extra clicks to get a non-inventory vehicle.

When we picked up our inventory vehicle in April I was surprised to learn it was built less than three weeks earlier. It was right before the Fed deadline and they were selling like the proverbial hot cake. No discounts or free miles, etc.

Any chance Tesla would clean up those chips and trim issues gratis?

OP, it’s your lack of precise information, and at the same time asking what recourse is available that is causing these responses. You need to provide some more concrete information if you want people to offer a view.

What was her order date (a few months is hugely vague)?

Was it an order from inventory, or a regular order?

Did she postpon delivery at any point in the process?

How many miles were on the car when she took delivery?

If you don’t know the answers to any of these questions, you might want to find out if you feel some sort of recourse is needed with Tesla. Having hard data and facts is important before thinking about legality of the transaction.

Could the OP provides additional and clear information regarding this car. So far we get only speculation discussions.

First, there's nothing illegal or unethical about selling an early 2023 model later in the year.

Second, there's nothing unusual about getting a dirty dinged up Tesla. With no dealership inspections, the cars go straight from factory to consumer and mobile service takes care of "dealer prep" after the fact.

Third, even if she didn't buy an inventory or demo model for some reason, there are still legitimate reasons for a stale new car. Perhaps it had an issue on the assembly line or was damaged in transport. There's a reasonable legal limit to the amount of rework/repair that automakers can do and still sell the car as new.

First, there's nothing illegal or unethical about selling an early 2023 model later in the year.

Second, there's nothing unusual about getting a dirty dinged up Tesla. With no dealership inspections, the cars go straight from factory to consumer and mobile service takes care of "dealer prep" after the fact.

Third, even if she didn't buy an inventory or demo model for some reason, there are still legitimate reasons for a stale new car. Perhaps it had an issue on the assembly line or was damaged in transport. There's a reasonable legal limit to the amount of rework/repair that automakers can do and still sell the car as new.
So, it's perfectly normal for someone to wait months for delivery, only to be presented with a 10 month old vehicle? Come on...

This happens to cars from other manufacturers all the time. A car is built in Dec. 2022, gets shipped to a dealership in early 2023. Sits on their lot unsold for many months. Perhaps then dealer traded to another dealership, where it can hopefully sold. Finally gets delivered to a customer in early Fall. Not all that unusual.

Manufacture date clearly posted on the drivers door sticker. Still labled as a 2023 model year.

Imagine that this particular car sat around all that time, waiting to be matched to a buyer.

My Son works for a Dealership group and the cars they get from the Factory and storage lots that the Factories use always need some sort of detail cleanup. RAM Is the worst with the Trucks looking like they sat in Muddy Dirt Fields, His words not mine. One of the very few good things that dealerships do is clean the cars before you get them. Vehicles get dirty during transport. But I would expect a car that was delivered to my House to have a clean interior.

So, it's perfectly normal for someone to wait months for delivery, only to be presented with a 10 month old vehicle? Come on...

Yes. Of course. The production and distribution processes are not 100% perfect, so a small percentage of cars inevitably end up in a rework queue. And a small percentage of a million cars is a pretty long queue. Once the car has been restored to satisfactorily new condition, it goes right back into the delivery queue mixed in with all the fresh production as if nothing happened. There are many laws governing the amount of damage, time, and mileage that can be incurred before they have to re-classify the car as less than new.

• Funny
Reactions: Mike728
That does seem odd that a Dec 2022 build is being delivered in September. Even though, technically, it is a 2023 model, I would wonder why it wasn't delivered to someone else already? My guess would be that it was rejected by someone at delivery for something else and then sat around waiting for Tesla to correct the issues.

If your neighbor didn't order it from inventory that would raise another red flag. Why would Tesla deliver a car sitting around for a few months instead of straight of the factory line?

I'm sure if your neighbor involved you in the purchasing and delivery process you would have helped catch these issues before she drove it home.

That's exactly what I was thinking - a damaged/rejected car that got repaired and redelivered. 9 months still sounds awfully long even for that. It must also have HW3? Very unfortunate and I cannot think of anyone who wants this for a new car. I would at least raise the concern to Tesla.

Yesterday, Sept 23, I received my new MY that I ordered from inventory on Sept 18. I didn't pay close attention to the VIN and assumed it was a recent build. On delivery the car looked great and only noticed a weird layer of dirt/dust in some areas and low tire pressure (35 psi).

After I got the car home I started noticing more dust/dirt in various ares like under the charge port door, between the door jambs, and on the frunk trim. It looked like the car had been sitting in a dirt lot for awhile. I then looked at the build date on the door jamb and it's 4/2023! I'm surprised to see a 5 month old MY sold as new. It made me wonder why? Any ideas? It only had 28 miles. It has the older HW4/cameras. Maybe it had some defect or was a rejected delivery and it just took awhile for the issue to get repaired and sat in a dirt lot for months?

droflow: Have you read the entire thread?

A delay between manufacture and delivery isn't unusual in the auto industry.

In droflow's defense, the answer to that question ("did they read the entire thread") is "probably not" since I moved their newly created thread into this one, as its the same general discussion and might answer their questions.

Reactions: Pianewman