Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Neighbor took delivery today - received 2022 build?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

My neighbor took delivery of a Model Y today after waiting a few months - she was excited to show it off and called me over. She mentioned that the car was extremely dusty when she took delivery, which was the first red flag. She then showed me a few paint chips and trim issues, which didn’t seem right to me for a new car.

Realizing I could check the manufacture date by looking at the door jamb, I checked, and sure enough, saw that it wasn’t a new vehicle, but rather one manufactured in December of 2022. The VIN pointed to a 2023 build, which made sense, but I couldn’t help but feel bad for her. What is the legality of Tesla selling her a 10 month old vehicle as new? Does anyone know if she has any recourse? She has already taken delivery of the vehicle and drove it off the lot. This doesn’t change anything, but she’s the sweetest lady and has been looking forward to the car for a while.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Reactions: David Sowden
Unless you bought it for them, you dont know the particulars of the transaction, like, for example, did they buy an inventory model, perhaps for a discount? If so, thats what you are buying, a "car in stock".

The first part of your story:

My neighbor took delivery of a Model Y today after waiting a few months

There is no model Y that has taken " a few months" to have delivered, so that doesnt make sense either unless your neighbor delayed it themselves. Unless you reviewed the entire purchase transaction, talking about "recourse" doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

Unless you bought it for them, you dont know the particulars of the transaction, like, for example, did they buy an inventory model, perhaps for a discount? If so, thats what you are buying, a "car in stock".

The first part of your story:

There is no model Y that has taken " a few months" to have delivered, so that doesnt make sense either unless your neighbor delayed it themselves. Unless you reviewed the entire purchase transaction, talking about "recourse" doesnt make any sense whatsoever.
Why the hostility? She bought the vehicle with my referral, so I maybe do have an idea of the particulars of the transaction. I am asking about the legality of Tesla delivering a 10 month old vehicle to a customer who bought it as new. Not sure why the validity of this story is being questioned, and with all due respect, your post doesn’t really add to the discussion.

Why the hostility? She bought the vehicle with my referral, so I maybe do have an idea of the particulars of the transaction. I am asking about the legality of Tesla delivering a 10 month old vehicle to a customer who bought it as new. Not sure why the validity of this story is being questioned, and with all due respect, your post doesn’t really add to the discussion.

If you know the particulars of the transaction, perhaps you could share the answer to the question I asked, which was "was it an in stock vehicle purchase, perhaps with a discount?" and "why was the purchase several months?" which are both relevant to any discussion about "why did this take so long.

A new car is one that has never been registered. Its possible to buy a new car thats 2 or even 3 years old.

She bought it new, and she doesn’t speak much English, so she wouldn’t have had the wherewithal to purchase an inventory model.

Thanks for your answer - though it would’ve been much easier to employ some empathy and say that initially rather than for everybody to wade through the snark - not sure what I did to deserve the condescension. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
A vehicle is considered new when it has never been registered before. If a Dealership had a 2012 Corvette that was never sold or registered and sold that car to someone in 2023 it would still be considered a new car. Granted Tesla should have cleaned the car and inspected it. Maybe she got a great deal on it. I would have no issues purchasing a new leftover vehicle. You can usually get thousands off from a current year model.

Reactions: richyrich
It does raise some suspicions as to why it’s such old stock. Possibly had some transportation damage and has just been waiting on parts this whole time.

But again if shes happy and you don’t see any major issues with it then let her enjoy it instead of raising these concerns with her and making her worry or regret it. Not much can be done about it now after she’s accepted delivery anyways.

Did the order really take a few months to fulfil and have a Dec '22 build date? When was it delivered and do you know where she picked it up from? I would ask her what they told her was the reason for the delay. I've also never heard of a service center delivering a dirty car. Something isn't adding up.

There is no model Y that has taken " a few months" to have delivered, so that doesnt make sense either unless your neighbor delayed it themselves.

That's not true. Look in the Order sub forum. There are many people with long wait times, > 2 months. Mine took 6 weeks from order date to delivery. Not quite "a couple months", but close.

Just one example, there are many more:
Post in thread 'MYLR / MYP - March Order Waiting Room'
3/22 ordered, delivered 6/28.

And besides that, I don't see much of a reason for the snotty response to begin with. From a moderator? 😳

Last edited:
That's not true. Look in the Order sub forum. There are many people with long wait times, > 2 months. Mine took 6 weeks from order date to delivery. Not quite "a couple months", but close.

Just one example, there are many more:
Post in thread 'MYLR / MYP - March Order Waiting Room'
3/22 ordered, delivered 6/28.

Thats not right now, though. What happened in March doesnt matter as far as someone taking delivery right now, but ordering "a few months" ago. In any case, rather than get into more back and forth as to why I responded the way I did in the first post, I decided It didnt matter, so I am not going to get into it further here.

Thats not right now, though. What happened in March doesnt matter as far as someone taking delivery right now, but ordering "a few months" ago. In any case, rather than get into more back and forth as to why I responded the way I did in the first post, I decided It didnt matter, so I am not going to get into it further here.
Ok, I see your point.
In all fairness though, I responded to this statement of yours:
"There is no model Y that has taken " a few months" to have delivered, so that doesnt make sense either unless your neighbor delayed it themselves."
Which is more general than "recent". I can still see it happen. Tesla's ordering process and priorities seem random.
I also agree with you that it's not worth it going into this any deeper, so this is my last comment on the topic also.

I’ve owned 4 Teslas in the past so I’m familiar with the order/delivery process.

Do you know the price and mileage of the car and if there was
any discount from the car been used as show room demo or test drive?

Can you look at her car Tesla Purchase Agreement and DMV documents
and compare with yours to see if there was anything mentioned about the car condition and age?

I am just curious about the 10 months yatus. I pass by a Tesla show room on my way to work every day,
and I can tell you that around every quarter end, the show room is always completely empty of cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Hi all,

My neighbor took delivery of a Model Y today after waiting a few months - she was excited to show it off and called me over. She mentioned that the car was extremely dusty when she took delivery, which was the first red flag. She then showed me a few paint chips and trim issues, which didn’t seem right to me for a new car.

Realizing I could check the manufacture date by looking at the door jamb, I checked, and sure enough, saw that it wasn’t a new vehicle, but rather one manufactured in December of 2022.
Have you already pointed out the manuf date to her, or did you quietly take note? If she's happy and the vehicle is decent overall, I say let her be. You might open a can of worms which will necessitate your involvement for a longer time than you might like.

Last edited:
Reactions: GWord
That’s why I made this post. Nothing about it makes sense. Again, not sure why the validity of the story is being questioned, I’ve owned 4 Teslas in the past so I’m familiar with the order/delivery process.
It's being questioned, because you aren't answering important questions, or you just don't know. If you don't know, then the validity goes out the window.

Hi all,

Realizing I could check the manufacture date by looking at the door jamb, I checked, and sure enough, saw that it wasn’t a new vehicle, but rather one manufactured in December of 2022. The VIN pointed to a 2023 build, which made sense, but I couldn’t help but feel bad for her. What is the legality of Tesla selling her a 10 month old vehicle as new? Does anyone know if she has any recourse? She has already taken delivery of the vehicle and drove it off the lot. This doesn’t change anything, but she’s the sweetest lady and has been looking forward to the car for a while.

Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

That does seem odd that a Dec 2022 build is being delivered in September. Even though, technically, it is a 2023 model, I would wonder why it wasn't delivered to someone else already? My guess would be that it was rejected by someone at delivery for something else and then sat around waiting for Tesla to correct the issues.

If your neighbor didn't order it from inventory that would raise another red flag. Why would Tesla deliver a car sitting around for a few months instead of straight of the factory line?

I'm sure if your neighbor involved you in the purchasing and delivery process you would have helped catch these issues before she drove it home.

Reactions: JeffEV
OP, it’s your lack of precise information, and at the same time asking what recourse is available that is causing these responses. You need to provide some more concrete information if you want people to offer a view.

What was her order date (a few months is hugely vague)?

Was it an order from inventory, or a regular order?

Did she postpon delivery at any point in the process?

How many miles were on the car when she took delivery?

If you don’t know the answers to any of these questions, you might want to find out if you feel some sort of recourse is needed with Tesla. Having hard data and facts is important before thinking about legality of the transaction.