Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Negative reputation points need to be eliminated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heh. :) No. Ask JRP3, who's met both of us in person; we went out to dinner.
I can confirm.
As to the topic, I don't pay too much attention to rep points. In all the time I've been here I've only had a handful of positive and one or two negative that I've noticed, so I guess I'm doing a good job of heading right down the middle. Or else no one is paying attention to me :biggrin: I rarely give out rep points either, preferring to reply directly.

Really? Because I see plenty of criticisms of Tesla and the Model S in many threads. Just because some peoples personal vendetta against the company has little support on this forum doesn't exactly mean we are all a bunch of sycophantic fan boys, but it also should not come as any surprise that most people on the site are mostly happy with the car, the company, and the direction they are going. Personally I don't spend much time on the forums for products or companies I don't like.

If you eliminate the negative then you should also eliminate the positive, and just have a "private comment" button for comments that either are a bit off topic or that don't add anything to the thread but aren't long enough to warrant a PM. The two things that I don't really like about TMC are that you can't mark a thread permanently read (aka ignored), and that all the posts don't get emailed.

@jerry

As I said in a previous post in my opinion negative points are not to be eliminated but filtered through the moderator. In fact I think that sometimes negative points are given for personal feelings (or even for no reasons at all) and not for substantial reasons.
It's not nice to be given negative points, so at least they should be grounded and substantiated.

It's not nice to be given negative points, so at least they should be grounded and substantiated.
If the choices are:
(1) Keep negative (and positive) reputation system as is.
(2) Remove negative reputation from the system.
(3) Remove negative and positive reputation from the system.
(4) Change negative reputation reporting such that it's publicly visible with a limit of 100 characters commentary.
(5) Something like 4 but with the impact revoked for banned members.

I think my preference: 5, 4, 1, 3, 2.

Also, I'd like to see another bar showing what kind of reputation the poster has provided as well as the current received bar.

Screen Shot 2013-07-27 at 11.39.40 PM.png

So is Brian really satan squared with 6,666 posts?!

I don't mind the reputation system as is. I give positives, I give negatives, I sign them "-FZ".

[..QUOTE=brianman;396273]Putting aside your (I think) moderator focused concerns about the advertisement drama of late...

Do you really agree with the portion of Kevin's post that you quoted? I'm somewhat surprised if that's actually the case.

Or are you just saying that you feel frustration with TMC generally?[/QUOTE]
You I will answer. Your a cool guy and came up to me and introduce yourself @Teslive unlike some of the others who went scampering like church mice when the lights go on as I approached. Made me laugh! My comments have nothing to do with issues of late. Strictly with critique of Tesla. Used to be able to air your dirty laundry which everybody has. Its the same it like in the political realm, where even know this is the best country in the world, we still have things to fix... point em out people say you hate your country! I won't get into it further, you can certainly ask some people for further details including smoothoperator. I'm in it with TESLA for the long haul.

- - - Updated - - -

sorry for all the spelling mistakes on the previous post. I will probably get negative reputation points for them. On my stupid phone, for some reason there's no edit button what I can find. That being said, reading this thread, I will stop those green squares underneath your name how to do with the number of posts that you had made cumulatively I never realized they were reputation specific. Off to now commit Harry Carey! ;-)

Speaking as someone who did not scamper on your approach (Hi, Ian!), I hope you will agree that a view contrary to yours does not mean the other person is [insert insulting term here]. It is just someone with a view contrary to yours.

If we want to encourage discussion, we don't accuse people of ulterior motives. At least in my world. I've been a moderator here on TMC for awhile & I can assure you there is no direction to force conversation a certain way. There IS direction to encourage contrary opinions, without insulting the other person. There is also direction to keep people from abusing the forum - whether for promoting another website or for advertising purposes. (And yes, there is work afoot to allow advertising and sponsors in specified areas, but TESLIVE did take a bit of bandwidth.)

How many of you have left positive reputation for someone who disagreed with you, because they contributed in a positive way to the conversation? I have. More than once. The whole reputation system is meant to encourage good discussion, not to reward someone for agreeing with you.

PS. What's all this about advertising drama? I don't even notice the ads on the site, I'm programmed to automatically ignore them.

This is what I understand. (and could be way off)

Eli (Al & Eds) wants to put ads on TMC to promote their line of Model S upgrades. There are those that observe that they already do this via threads/posts and footers (including on Dr Taras' posts) The other part of the drama is that they have asked for a proper venue to advertise and to date there has been none except the option of buying Tesla targeted Google ads. Something is probably coming but you know how it goes on the forum when Tesla takes a whole day to react.

(again, I could be way off)

I have Chrome ad-block so I see no ads unless I'm on my Iphone that defaults to Safari.

.....unlike some of the others who went scampering like church mice when the lights go on as I approached. Made me laugh! My comments have nothing to do with issues of late. Strictly with critique of Tesla. Used to be able to air your dirty laundry which everybody has.

Hi Ian, maybe people didn't recognize you....I looked for you on Friday at TESLIVE but also didn't recognize you when we met briefly on the Saturday.

It's undoubtedly true that TMC members are overwhelmingly fans of Tesla, but nobody has been stopped from making criticisms. As moderators we play a role as librarians, spam-hunters and peace-keepers while trying to keep the forum family friendly. There's plenty of critique threads out there (take a look at the Model S User Interface section as an example of many in one place) and I don't believe there's ever been a moderator who has squashed critique. We even have one brave soul who shorted Tesla stock and has been vehemently critical of Tesla; interestingly I did stick up for his right to speak and got flak from several people but support from my fellow mods. Your "Hun" customization thread got a lot of praise and a few folks that criticized your choices; but people didn't seem afraid to speak out. (Nice car, but I hate the wheels BTW).

My overall point is that you can post specific critique and you'll generally find empathetic resonance and maybe helpful suggestions; you're also free to start a thread called "Model S sucks!" and go for something general, but in that case you have to recognize that you're going against the tide and be prepared for a tsunami.

1. Hi Ian, maybe people didn't recognize you
  2. I looked for you on Friday at TESLIVE
  3. we met briefly on the Saturday.
  4. nobody has been stopped from making criticisms. As moderators we play a role
  5. interestingly I did stick up for his right to speak and got flak from several people
  6. Nice car, but I hate the wheels BTW

1. I have it on good authority; they know who they are and so do I; but really, no worries.
  2. Wasn't there (on Friday) but thanx for looking
  3. Thank YOU for introducing yourself; truly a gentleman
  4. I hope I did not imply by by original comment that it was the mods who were stifling comment, though in looking back to my most recent reply I can see how that wrongly slipped in. I apologize; it has nothing to do with the mods! It is more about the piling on, in an inappropriate way, when there is something anti-Tesla said that is constructive criticism and met with the (hate to use the politics analogy again but it is appropriate) character assassinations. I can't emphasize enough that this has NOTHING to do with anything I've written in 2013.
  5. I'm one of the biggest proponents of people getting out of their echo chamber and getting some fresh air. I more appreciate intelligent conversation of apposing views and will spread + reputation points for vantage points contrary to my own than I will silly ones that may support my view.
  6. No prob, as I've said on 'my thread' many times; there are 31 different flavors of ice cream and I like Rocky Road which most people don't like.