Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My audio upgrade for "Watt ME" - Reus Audio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of course. I just want to know how to get to the stuff. I am capable of making all of the alterations I need myself. I just want to know how to gain access to the back side of the screen. It has to be from underneath or down from the top. I would love to know the location of the power amps also.

I'll throw in my 2 cents again. Just be careful w/ Rick's company. Make sure you don't give him a large deposit and have everything put in writing to protect yourselves especially if you are far from him in Southern California. Warranty in writing specifically and what he covers - get it on paper. I just don't want to see anyone from this community get burned by him like I did several years ago.

I'll throw in my 2 cents again. Just be careful w/ Rick's company. Make sure you don't give him a large deposit and have everything put in writing to protect yourselves especially if you are far from him in Southern California. Warranty in writing specifically and what he covers - get it on paper. I just don't want to see anyone from this community get burned by him like I did several years ago.

I had the system installed yesterday. There's been absolutely nothing in my experience that suggests Reus can't be trusted. In fact, quite the contrary. I wired my deposit a few weeks ago and paid the balance with a check yesterday after Cliff Johnson installed the system and had completed tuning it to my satisfaction. Cliff also said that I didn't have to give him a check and that I could wire the balance.

Cliff was in constant touch via email about scheduling the installation. I picked him up in Baltimore yesterday (Aaron had drive him down here from New Jersey) and we drove together to the installation site (the lovely home of another owner in Virginia). I forgot my wallet so I had no cash and no credit cards. Cliff bought me lunch and lent me $50 as a safety valve for the trip home late last night. He also fixed my faulty install of the Inavi FXD900 dash cam and reran all of the cables under the front windshield for the Inavi and the front camera so that they would not impede the side airbag curtains, all for no extra cost.So Reus totally trusted me in questionable circumstances that were of my own doing.

I observed the entire installation and took dozens of photos, and I've added a separate post on the installation, the care given to avoiding even the most minor cosmetic damage to parts of the car that are completely hidden from view, and the outstanding quality of the work.

And, of course, the sound of the new system is on whole other level above the Sound Studio system Tesla installs. I saw the Tesla components (tweeters and subwoofer) and the quality of the Reus hardware is much, much higher.

Last edited:
I saw the Tesla components (tweeters and subwoofer) and the quality of the Reus hardware is much, much higher.

Let me guess..... the Tesla drivers that came out are paper cone drivers.....? I am definitely interested in doing this on my newly delivered P85+. Any one else in the Dallas area interested in a group buy? The stock "sound studio" in my car is probably one of the worst "premium audio" setups I have ever heard.

Agree with Artsci. I posted a thread in May about having the upgrade done at Reus in OC. They can be trusted and the sound is fantastic.

Fluxed - Funny you mention paper and cone drivers. Tesla says they are neodymium magnets. The thing is...at Reus's shop the owner Rick walked my buddy and I through a bench setup of tweeters hooked up to music. He had for reference the Burmeister tweeters out of the porsche panamera, B&O out of audi...and my point is that we could not believe our ears because what looked like cheap paper and cone tweeters sounded the best. In fact, the best tweeters are over 20 yrs old. I can't really explain it on the forums very well...but lets say my friend and I were astounded by the demo. Some of the best speakers were actually paper and cone. I know it is hard to believe and you don't have to take my word for it. I recommend anyone who is interested in the upgrade to pay Reus a visit at their shop and check out the demo. I think you will be quite surprised as to what makes a "quality" sound system. For anyone into sound, a trip to check out Reus is a must if you around OC.
And also, the testing of the Tesla speakers reveal they are really good quality! Just that Reus has better hi-fi tweeters for the setup and so those are the only ones they recommend replacing for most users.

I had the system installed yesterday. There's been absolutely nothing in my experience that suggests Reus can't be trusted. In fact, quite the contrary. I wired my deposit a few weeks ago and paid the balance with a check yesterday after Cliff Johnson installed the system and had completed tuning it to my satisfaction. Cliff also said that I didn't have to give him a check and that I could wire the balance.

Cliff was in constant touch via email about scheduling the installation. I picked him up in Baltimore yesterday (Aaron had drive him down here from New Jersey) and we drove together to the installation site (the lovely home of another owner in Virginia). I forgot my wallet so I had no cash and no credit cards. Cliff bought me lunch and lent me $50 as a safety valve for the trip home late last night. He also fixed my faulty install of the Inavi FXD900 dash cam and reran all of the cables under the front windshield for the Inavi and the front camera so that they would not impede the side airbag curtains, all for no extra cost.So Reus totally trusted me in questionable circumstances that were of my own doing.

I observed the entire installation and took dozens of photos, and I've added a separate post on the installation, the care given to avoiding even the most minor cosmetic damage to parts of the car that are completely hidden from view, and the outstanding quality of the work.

And, of course, the sound of the new system is on whole other level above the Sound Studio system Tesla installs. I saw the Tesla components (tweeters and subwoofer) and the quality of the Reus hardware is much, much higher.

That's great to hear artsci. We did a group buy several years ago and we all got burned by Rick. Phone calls and emails became sporadic towards the end. It was just a bad situation for all of us. Eventually several of us gave up while one actually hired an attorney (not sure how that turned out). Perhaps Rick learned from his mistakes and is now very careful with these group buys and the internet. I'm sure Rick's seeing my posts and know who we are.

Here's our story:
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/193867-reus-audio.html

Last edited:
So with the new system you continue to use the touchscreen for all functions (volume, equalizer, etc) it just sounds better coming out the other end? Was there any loss/reconfiguration of storage space due to the new equipment, or did Reus basically put their stuff back in the existing locations in the car?
The touchscreen is still Command Central. Reus does add one analog control, a knob on the lower left front of the driver's seat to adjust the subwoofer volume. That's very useful, because at full volume, it'll take out your fillings.

Almost everything Reus adds is into existing locations. They do use up parts of the "footwell" area in the rear, though, because they add their subwoofer, rather than taking out Tesla's. Reus also adds some components that close off the gap between the left-hand well and the footwell.

I just read that thread about the Reus fraud and it is bewildering. It bothered me that he simply stopped calling people back and checks bounced. Not just one person - but several. It almost seems like two different people so I wonder what the underlying cause was (divorce, medical, drugs, gambling, stock losses, etc.).

I'm local enough to OC to have this system added but I don't want to do business with anybody shady like that. Things seem fine now but unless he clears up his past I'll look elsewhere.

I just read that thread about the Reus fraud and it is bewildering. It bothered me that he simply stopped calling people back and checks bounced. Not just one person - but several. It almost seems like two different people so I wonder what the underlying cause was (divorce, medical, drugs, gambling, stock losses, etc.).

I'm local enough to OC to have this system added but I don't want to do business with anybody shady like that. Things seem fine now but unless he clears up his past I'll look elsewhere.

Okay I'm completely confused??? Are these guys legit or not??

I had a Reus system installed in my Model S on Aug 23 at their Orange, CA facility. They are located in an industrial strip in an older part of Orange. Their facility is just some office space in the front with a large workshop/installation area in back. It is certainly not a retail store/showroom. It was just a plain industrial facility. While my system was being installed there were three Ferrari 458 Spiders and one Toyota minivan being upgraded. Cliff did the installation and allowed me to watch and question every step in the process. Their only request was that I not post any pictures of the system. I guess they are concerned about the competition copying their approach/system.

I went with the Reus system since it retained all of the factory components and functionality. From a sound perspective, it is certainly an upgrade. It sounds good, but it still cannot compete with my home audiophile system. I am very satisfied with the system even though it could be better at the expense of a lot of custom work and cutting which I was not willing to do.

As far as payment goes, I did not pay anything until the system was completely installed and tested. So no worries like others on the web. Since the system is an add-on the the factory system with simple components, I don't expect to have any warranty issues since I won't be driving the system to its limits. I want to keep my hearing.

Nice, thanks for the info. May be worth a drive down to see them...

If you do visit them, have them arrange one of their Model S installs there when you show up. He seems to have a friend who has a Model S with the system installed who is willing to drive over to let you do a side by side comparison of the factory system to the upgraded system. You will need to bring some music which you are familiar with on a USB memory stick to do the comparison to see if the upgrade is worthwhile or not.

I would also suggesting bringing a clip of white or pink noise on your USB memory stick and a sound level meter or app on smart phone. This way you can balance the level in your Model S with that of his friend so that the comparision will not be biased due one system playing louder or softer than the other which tends to change our perception. It allows for a better comparison.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how the Reus system sounds with lossy sources such as Bluetooth and FM HD? I have the standard system and the soundstage is shallow but I don't want to shell out the money if it lossy sources sound the same because I don't listen to many FLACS, WAVS, etc.

It actually sounds pretty good. I auditioned RandyS's system a few evenings ago with some bluetooth audio and it sounds good. Of course, you still need a pretty good BT source. I was pushing around 360 kbps VBR files and it sounded really good. Seems to have a penchant for the female timbre.

Hey everybody!

I'm in the process of finalizing my purchase of my Tesla Model S from a buddy of mine and one thing I'm looking to upgrade right away is the sound system. I've been following these forums pretty closely, over the past few days, and I'm really looking for more feedback on the NVX package. Is it worth it? Does the bass cause any rattling over time? Any issues with battery drain that you've noticed? Is the installation process something that I can handle on my own with limited technical knowledge? And finally, anybody know of any spots on the NorCal area that specialize in these type of upgrades?

Thanks so much for your input, in advance!

I purchased the basic audio option from the factory with the idea to upgrade it later. (hopefully better than the factory HD uprade) I have been emailing with Cliff and will have a Reus system installed on his next trip out to the Atlanta GA area. One quick question for those that have a Reus system installed. Could you take a picture of the "Subwoofer Control" that is part of Stage 2 and above. I really don't want a knob or control that looks too aftermarket. Also how well does the basic bass slider control in the Tesla audio system control the Reus subwoofer.

Cheers,