Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone with big audio installs requiring a second 12v battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For older model (pre RAVEN or even before new battery), has anyone installed "BIG" audio system (e.g., multiple amps with ~200+ A when you add all the fuses of the amps up) in their MS where they had to or were recommended to install a second 12V battery in the trunk?

I'm trying to figure out if the 12V OEM battery (frunk) in my 2016 can handle a 3rd amplifier. Currently, I have two amps with a fuse combined fuse rating of, 90 Amps + 50 amps = 140 amps. I don't listen to at 100% volume and don't think both amps will draw that much current at a given time. Same for the 3rd amp.

I'm thinking of adding a third amp (with fuse rating of 90 A to 150 A) to power a new subwoofer (Stereo Integrity SQL 12). This 3rd amp will have a power output rating of 1500 -> 3000 Watts RMS @ 1 ohm. I haven't bought it yet since I need to know if the car can handle it.

However, it seems from reading this thread (12-volt Battery Capacity), the OEM battery has a capacity of ~600 amps? If that is TRUE then I should be able to add a 3rd amp w/o any issues and not needing a 2nd battery in the trunk?

Could someone confirm that fact? Thank you.