Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend: Las Vegas Model S road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought mpg-e calculations had to include "from wall" charger inefficiencies. Seems like they're mixing up terminology. Or did I misunderstand where the EPA mpg-e rating for Model S 85 came from?

I thought mpg-e calculations had to include "from wall" charger inefficiencies. Seems like they're mixing up terminology. Or did I misunderstand where the EPA mpg-e rating for Model S 85 came from?

You'd be right!

Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depending on the purpose, total energy consumption for the vehicle may also need to include the energy used in the production of whatever energy carrier (fuel) is used for the vehicle and the energy used in filling the "tank". For example, with electrically powered vehicles, a full accounting of total energy consumption would include the efficiency factor for conversion of primary fuels into electricity (the energy of the fuel used to generate and transmit electricity) and the efficiency factor of charging the battery from the electrical plug.

274 Wh/mile is pretty good. I typically do about 225-245 Wh/mile in my wife's Volt when I'm trying to drive conservatively (about 42-45 miles per charge, the car is rated at 35 by the EPA). The Model S weighs about 25% more than the Volt, so only using about 10% more juice shows me the aerodynamic and other efficiencies the Model S has...

...Wouldn't it make more sense to use the AC, drive normally and simply stop there and charge for a little while? I really do get the point of the experiment, but I don't like the implication that driving an EV will necessitate being uncomfortable.

Exactly, nobody wants to see the Model S in the slow lane, driving 52 mph, receiving the finger, and getting passed by big rigs!

I'll cut Motor Trend some slack. For them (and others in the auto news business), testing the range of the Model S is really important, especially to differentiate it from the Leaf, iMEV etc. The only parties that have been able to test the full range of the Model S to date are Tesla and the EPA. For them, independent confirmation of good range with a good story (LA to Vegas!) is necessary for them to do.

I forwarded this story to a friend with an S reservation and he said "I guess Orlando is out of the question for us" and I reminded him that if there are superchargers we won't need to drive slow and can leave the A/C on and make it with ease with a 30 minute charge-up halfway through the trip. So I get the concern that it misrepresents what it's like to drive the car for real with the ability to charge periodically during long trips, but it is overall a benefit to get auto journalists to confirm great range in the S.

You'd be right!

Miles per gallon gasoline equivalent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Depending on the purpose, total energy consumption for the vehicle may also need to include the energy used in the production of whatever energy carrier (fuel) is used for the vehicle and the energy used in filling the "tank". For example, with electrically powered vehicles, a full accounting of total energy consumption would include the efficiency factor for conversion of primary fuels into electricity (the energy of the fuel used to generate and transmit electricity) and the efficiency factor of charging the battery from the electrical plug.

There are so many ways to look at it. There really could be several MPGe ratings:

-Total energy required, or "well to wheel" efficiency (includes refining/shipping on the gasoline side, and the electrical analog: mining/generation/transmission & charging losses). This number alone can vary drastically...are you using solar power generated atop your roof, or a dirty coal plant?

-Cost-based: Cost for x miles of electricity vs. cost for x miles of gasoline.

-Vehicular efficiency (thermodynamics-based): This is the miles per kWh of electricity consumed from the battery vs. miles per kWh of gasoline energy equivalent.

There are many others...they can all convert into "MPG-like" values but they all tell a story of a particular aspect of the thermodynamics that compare the efficiency of one vehicle vs. another. The EPA uses wall-to-wheel (pump-to-tank) based MPGe. But if someone asks how efficient the Model S's drivetrain is, I'll tell them that the entire 300 mile battery pack has the equivalent of 2.5 gallons of gasoline energy equivalent.

To be fair, they were originally going to do a slightly shorter Vegas to LA at 65 with the AC on, to show how the trip could be made comfortably, then they decided to push it even further. I think this was a great review.

Yah or do your road trip at night. I know i do.

Less traffic and screw the need for AC.

The overnight lows are still to high to be comfortable. I wonder if driving with the windows down offset the use of driving with the AC on. I know he rolled them up for periods of time but opening them all up can't be good for the aerodynamics.

Motor Trend: Visiting Las Vegas in the Tesla Model S

Take away: We also know that this Model S’s performance is consistent in our admittedly small data set. Kim and Benson’s 233.7 mile journey to San Diego left roughly 4 miles of range available and consumed 78.2 kWhrs of electricity. That’s the energy equivalent of 2.32 gallons of gas or 100.7 mpg-e. Frank and Jessi traveled 211 miles to Las Vegas and had 74 miles of range leftover. They consumed 60.6 kWhr of energy, the equivalent of 1.8 gallons of gas, for an average of 118 mpg-e. My 285-mile journey left 3 miles unused and consumed 78.0 kWhrs or the equivalent of 2.31 gallons of gas. That’s an mpg-e of 123.4.

If the battery is 85 kWh and they take 78.2 kWhrs to drive 233.7 miles (around 3 miles per kWh), why does the remaining 6.8 kWh only yield an estimated 4 miles? Are there really about 20 miles left in the "tank?"

If the battery is 85 kWh and they take 78.2 kWhrs to drive 233.7 miles (around 3 miles per kWh), why does the remaining 6.8 kWh only yield an estimated 4 miles? Are there really about 20 miles left in the "tank?"

It could be based on the fact that the "range remaining" estimate is based on the last x miles or x minutes (not sure which)...in other words, it's a moving average. So I don't think that 4 mile estimate can be taken at face value.

The overnight lows are still to high to be comfortable. I wonder if driving with the windows down offset the use of driving with the AC on. I know he rolled them up for periods of time but opening them all up can't be good for the aerodynamics.

It's pretty easy to tell when the boundary layer delaminates because the inside of the car sounds like a helicopter as the flow gets interrupted. Opening the windows on one side of the car about 25 to 50 mm allows a fair volume of air in to cool the occupants without interrupting the air flow around the car by very much. Note that different body styles have different qualities so some cars can use this technique better than others.

I don't know if anyone has tried this with their Model S yet.

While I've loved Motor Trend's coverage of the Model S so far...and this was an entertaining piece...I don't think the video of the Model S cruising the highways at minimum legal speed, getting passed like crazy, is going to sell this car.

I would've rather they had used the A/C, driven at 70, and stopped for a 20-30 minute charge at a level 2 charger instead. What they did was a bit silly of course...but it will leave the uninitiated with the impression that such sacrifices are necessary for even moderate road trips.

I drove our Roadster to Vegas earlier this year. From the edge of Ventura. I did a lot of drafting.

I give MT a break too. I would now like Jim Motaveli (sp) to do it at 70 with the AC on. A 45 minute stop at the Tesla HPC in Barstow next to the Starbucks would be all the car and driver needs to make the trip.