Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Motor Trend: Las Vegas Model S road trip.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Without a co-driver to assist, the interactive screens and menus are too much to comprehend while driving. Well, almost. I browse the web and scan a story...

Browsing the web, and reading the news while driving? Egads...

...I’ve been in contact with Tesla since the drive started, via hastily tapped out texts (guilty as charged)...
And texting, too!

Last edited:
In Barstow

Attachments

• IMG_1002[1].JPG
    IMG_1002[1].JPG
    462.8 KB · Views: 550
A HA!

Makes so much sense now...

So, my Model S sighting on the westbound 210 Freeway was Ed Loh returning from Vegas. In Elon's car. Now I know what the funny object stuck to the windshield was, and why I blew past him going about 70 like he was standing still. Explains why I couldn't get a picture...

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody else notice the alcantara accents on Elon's dash? Could this be one of the Signature Model surprises??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AO9Rku_ZNeM#t=76s

The P85 on the rear is another (that Elon's and Jurv's share) custom touch. Right?

Unclear... I think E's #2 was delivered without it, then it was added later. Not sure who gets the option to have that badge.
I suppose other performance customers could try their luck and ask the factory if they will add it...

A HA!

Makes so much sense now...

So, my Model S sighting on the westbound 210 Freeway was Ed Loh returning from Vegas. In Elon's car. Now I know what the funny object stuck to the windshield was, and why I blew past him going about 70 like he was standing still. Explains why I couldn't get a picture...

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody else notice the alcantara accents on Elon's dash? Could this be one of the Signature Model surprises??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AO9Rku_ZNeM#t=76s

Lucky :)

The only Tesla sighting I've been graced with recently was a Roadster on the 91W on the way to Anaheim a few weeks ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, having watched the video earlier, I must say it was pretty hideous. They looked like fools driving the way they did and arriving with 70+ miles of charge left. Nothing about that video was helpful from an enthusiast standpoint and it painted an inaccurate picture of the car's capabilities and recommended use.

Anyways, having watched the video earlier, I must say it was pretty hideous. They looked like fools driving the way they did and arriving with 70+ miles of charge left. Nothing about that video was helpful from an enthusiast standpoint and it painted an inaccurate picture of the car's capabilities and recommended use.

I put that down to pacifying their sponsors. Doesn't make it right though.

Why don't they take a Roadster driver or Tesla employee with them to drive and see what's possible?

I think the goal is to see if the Model S is 'just like any other car'.
The masses don't WANT a car that has to be driven differently. Many people don't want to have to think about it. Having an 'expert' driving the car defeats that purpose.

It was/is the same thing for plug in hybrids and hybrids. As soon as people start actually using them, they start modifying their driving habits and find out it isn't that big of a deal.
Heck, IMO the biggest advance in fuel efficiency was simply putting the data in front of the driver. Many people actually get competitive to get the most efficiency they can.

Now that the Model S is being sold as a great car that happens to be electric, it will be shown by the media in that light.

Frankly, I think 3 years ago they would have driven it hard, AC on full blast, and made the headline 'Tesla strands test drivers 30 miles short of finish line'.

Heck, IMO the biggest advance in fuel efficiency was simply putting the data in front of the driver. Many people actually get competitive to get the most efficiency they can.

I dread when I have to scroll past current/average MPG in my car. It says 25-32 on the window sticker and I regularly get about 24! :scared:

I think it is my high interstate speeds and my roof rack!

I think the goal is to see if the Model S is 'just like any other car'.
If that was to any degree the goal, then the MT folks should seriously consider doing exactly the same thing at normal speeds and with normal cabin temperature control. Many of us would like to see what that number looks like. If they want to do some hypermile pedal gymnastics, with or without drafting, that's fine -- but normal speeds and normal climate control.

If that was to any degree the goal, then the MT folks should seriously consider doing exactly the same thing at normal speeds and with normal cabin temperature control. Many of us would like to see what that number looks like. If they want to do some hypermile pedal gymnastics, with or without drafting, that's fine -- but normal speeds and normal climate control.

Can we throw in that they test the 19 inch wheels to see the difference in range? I really wish the aerodynamic wheels would have made it to production... I would really love to see real world number of all three...