Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y third best selling car in the UK in 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For millions of us in the public sector, you can get excellent salary sacrifice deals that make it even more attractive. BIK 2% helps enormously. One of the few perks left in the public sector - if you ignore the gold plated pension, great job security and (in my part of the world) higher than typical wage rates.
Sounds awful 😂 I know how good the pensions are. I have a final salary public sector pension from the first 14 years of my career. The transfer value of that (relatively small) pension is insane.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Sounds awful 😂 I know how good the pensions are. I have a final salary public sector pension from the first 14 years of my career. The transfer value of that (relatively small) pension is insane.
Loads of people hitting the lifetime earnings allowance for the pension. Which is why you can't get a GP appointment, or headteachers leaving as soon as they can. Even positions like Inspectors in the Police, or ambulance service managers hitting that wall.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
That graph is very optimistic about the overall growth in vehicle sales! At least we can see that the author has no faith in a shared vehicle/robotaxi future.

I think you write off the other manufacturers too easily. My next EV will be something along the lines of a Kia EV9 or LR D6. The Model X i overlooked in 2018 and I would do the same again based on my Model Y. I’m probably not that unusual in being a Tesla owner who sees the next car as coming from elsewhere.

I don’t personally think it’s right to compare the likes of the Model Y to the premium brands. I bought the MY as the cheap option (relatively) as cars such as the i4, various E-trons or EQs don’t appeal enough to me for the higher prices they come with. Teslas might be expensive compared with their lower range ICE models but they are cheap compared with the EVs. The real Tesla competitors are Toyota/Skoda/VW/Kia/Hyundai et al.
Each to their own, more Electric Vehicles replacing polluters, the better.

Depends on whether someone is happy with the extra hassle of a non-Tesla. Taycans with need to keep within garage/temperature ranges for warranty, charging. The post above (Model Y third best selling car in the UK in 2022) comparing ABetterRoutePlanner charging times for various vehicles is interesting and if you drive a lot for business or even pleasure, extra convenience of availability of all Tesla Superchargers, efficiency/range & info on how busy each is when navigating can be useful.

When you say "That graph is very optimistic about the overall growth in vehicle sales!" - it's worldwide, high-population countries are still growing car ownership and the high bars are "natural growth" dependent on growing middle classes in India, Indonesia etc. The actual vehicle sales will be lower as people want Electrics but can't get them, supply is still a massive factor. Then as Electrics' supply increases some of the pent up demand (ICE cars kept for an extra year or two) means more Electrics sold.

Robotaxis not only replace private cars, but also buses and importantly make some journeys possible or desirable when they weren't before.

A further thought:

There are company incentives to buy EV - 100% first-year-writeoff, low Benefit-in-kind tax and Salary sacrifice

I wonder to what extent that is influencing the purchase of a 2x-higher-price car being at the top of the leader board ...
Also Tesla stretch. I've rarely bought new cars (and never from a conventional dealer - shudder) - but Tesla was worth the stretch.

Also Tesla stretch. I've rarely bought new cars (and never from a conventional dealer - shudder) - but Tesla was worth the stretch.
Why was it worth the stretch where other manufacturers weren’t? (I am not going to disagree with you, just interested in your opinion for your own circumstances)

Also curious about conventional dealers causing a shudder, but I guess I’ve always enjoyed the homework and the haggle, and that everyone in the chain gets a pot and an income to keep the wheels of commerce turning.

Given the mini has "second car" written all over it due to the range I think they have made a mistake having only one variant cooper s badged with180bhp. My wife would love a mini EV but I have two teenagers who need to drive the second car and in the first year after passing the driving test the mini is £2000-£2500 with a new driver on the policy. Which is 3-4 times more than say a Zoe or a Corsa E or a petrol Mini One.
Also driving schools etc - they might be best off with e-208/Corsa family. More automatic tests than manual ones now. Small ICE automatics usually not very reliable. Nissan Micra manual very solid, auto - not.

I'd love these lower cost niches to be addressed - by anyone. Delivery vans too. Diesel vans in stop-start trips in urban areas are awful for pollution especially particulates.

Also driving schools etc - they might be best off with e-208/Corsa family. More automatic tests than manual ones now. Small ICE automatics usually not very reliable. Nissan Micra manual very solid, auto - not.

I'd love these lower cost niches to be addressed - by anyone. Delivery vans too. Diesel vans in stop-start trips in urban areas are awful for pollution especially particulates.
I love the fleets of EV vans that DPD, Royal Mail and Amazon have around here. They should make this a legal requirement!

The various YouTube reviews of the Rivian Amazon delivery EV van are worth a watch.

Reactions: Type2 and MrBadger
Why was it worth the stretch where other manufacturers weren’t? (I am not going to disagree with you, just interested in your opinion for your own circumstances)

Also curious about conventional dealers causing a shudder, but I guess I’ve always enjoyed the homework and the haggle, and that everyone in the chain gets a pot and an income to keep the wheels of commerce turning.

Far superior to any other car I'd ever travelled in. Even performance / luxury ICE are press, clunk, wait, move. Completely thought out solution including purchase and charging infrastructure. I love good engineering (as opposed to marketing-led solutions). Planned obsolescence / high maintenance costs (including time) for ICE cars. So much fresher when I arrive after a long journey. All the ICE clunk, din, harshness takes a toll (but I didn't realise until after switching). One pedal driving is nicer.

Haggling - I can do but isn't pleasurable to me, I'd prefer a nice calm environment to compare. Pretend delays in a showroom, rip-off add-ons, finance, sales games - tedious waste of time, money & emotional energy best used for family, investing or work/business - disintermediation is long overdue. Better to compare options at leisure, sort out own finance, order a Tesla, get the cheaper price of (1) when ordered (2) delivered.

Far superior to any other car I'd ever travelled in. Even performance / luxury ICE are press, clunk, wait, move. Completely thought out solution including purchase and charging infrastructure. I love good engineering (as opposed to marketing-led solutions). Planned obsolescence / high maintenance costs (including time) for ICE cars. So much fresher when I arrive after a long journey. All the ICE clunk, din, harshness takes a toll (but I didn't realise until after switching). One pedal driving is nicer.

Haggling - I can do but isn't pleasurable to me, I'd prefer a nice calm environment to compare. Pretend delays in a showroom, rip-off add-ons, finance, sales games - tedious waste of time, money & emotional energy best used for family, investing or work/business - disintermediation is long overdue. Better to compare options at leisure, sort out own finance, order a Tesla, get the cheaper price of (1) when ordered (2) delivered.
I agree that EVs are great.

On the haggling, I always did my reaerch online and fired off emails to the likely dealers. Had that pretend wait thing once in the pre-internet days and wasn’t going to suffer it again. I realised that you have to play the game on your terms, not theirs. My best deal, close to 30% off a new BMW 440i, was done whilst mowing the lawn. Email sent from garden table, callback agreeing deal received before the grass was done.

Ps. On hassle free - Kia brought their EV to my door for a test drive. Nothing special, that’s how the local dealer does it. Now THAT is a time saving and hassle free service.

I agree that EVs are great.

On the haggling, I always did my reaerch online and fired off emails to the likely dealers. Had that pretend wait thing once in the pre-internet days and wasn’t going to suffer it again. I realised that you have to play the game on your terms, not theirs. My best deal, close to 30% off a new BMW 440i, was done whilst mowing the lawn. Email sent from garden table, callback agreeing deal received before the grass was done.

Ps. On hassle free - Kia brought their EV to my door for a test drive. Nothing special, that’s how the local dealer does it. Now THAT is a time saving and hassle free service.

Haggling, sales games are not for me if I have an alternative. Have used fixed-price middlemen many years ago leading to new price below second-hand resale prices (could have resold same day for 15-20% more than new-car price, ordered another & done same following week - fast delivery).

You might imagine that in places like India it's all haggling, but many people prefer fixed-price stores even if they pay more. Better things to concentrate on in life (in my opinion & in the opinions of many of the people who live in haggle-famous places). Life doesn't have to be a Life Of Brian market. I'm happy for a fair profit. Many dealers are on razor-thin margins but without transparency & with the famous huge BMW discounts - it's guesswork, it sucks the fun out of life. Cars, houses seem to be the last bastions of sales games. Tesla helping with cars, now for making housing less hassle.

Re Kia/test drives - I've used mobile mechanics for servicing/MOT work for decades - had enough of dealer visits years ago. Still angry about the behaviour of the last two visits to dealers, so obvious, so pathetic.

Haggling, sales games are not for me if I have an alternative. Have used fixed-price middlemen many years ago leading to new price below second-hand resale prices (could have resold same day for 15-20% more than new-car price, ordered another & done same following week - fast delivery).

You might imagine that in places like India it's all haggling, but many people prefer fixed-price stores even if they pay more. Better things to concentrate on in life (in my opinion & in the opinions of many of the people who live in haggle-famous places). Life doesn't have to be a Life Of Brian market. I'm happy for a fair profit. Many dealers are on razor-thin margins but without transparency & with the famous huge BMW discounts - it's guesswork, it sucks the fun out of life. Cars, houses seem to be the last bastions of sales games. Tesla helping with cars, now for making housing less hassle.

Re Kia/test drives - I've used mobile mechanics for servicing/MOT work for decades - had enough of dealer visits years ago. Still angry about the behaviour of the last two visits to dealers, so obvious, so pathetic.
Ok. You know Tesla are only helping themselves, right? They just moved the profit up the chain. They’re already in the discounting game as seen at the end of Q4.

Hopefully they will aim for making the best product at some point. But I don’t think they’re in it for that.

What sort of cars were you driving? There are things I really like about my M3P (performance especially) but it is way too noisy at motorway speeds. The seats are not supportive enough for a car with this performance. This car has been a BIG step backwards as far as comfort and refinement goes.
Agree. Refinement and comfort are not Tesla strong points.

That was the downside I knew when purchasing, not just way, way, way noisier than my old car on the motorway but also noisier than the other EVs I drove (Enyaq, EV6, couple of PHEVs in EV mode all much quieter). On the motorway, I’d say the MY is about as noisy at 65 as my last ICE car at fast third lane speeds. It’s all about a lack of sound deadening and noise suppression through the suspension.

It’s refined below 20mph though, as long as you don’t rattle through any bumps and trigger the suspension noise.

Reactions: CWT3LR

That was the downside I knew when purchasing, not just way, way, way noisier than my old car on the motorway but also noisier than the other EVs I drove (Enyaq, EV6, couple of PHEVs in EV mode all much quieter). On the motorway, I’d say the MY is about as noisy at 65 as my last ICE car at fast third lane speeds. It’s all about a lack of sound deadening and noise suppression through the suspension.

It’s refined below 20mph though, as long as you don’t rattle through any bumps and trigger the suspension noise.
I thought that one of the road test criteria that reviewers used for performance cars was whether you could "feel the road". In my Y, you can tell what grade of gravel the Roman engineers used to shore up the cobbles, 8 layers below the current road surface. A performance car indeed!

All EVs are less comfortable than luxury ICE cars. However when it comes to EVs the Tesla is not a luxury car and does not carry a luxury price. Look at the price of the luxury EVs, Porche, BMW, Mercs and Etrons.
You can buy Kias, Nissans, Fords, Polestars all more expensive than the Teslas when tooled up to a similar spec. Stop calling Teslas expensive. They are not and are particularly competitive when Company cars!

All EVs are less comfortable than luxury ICE cars. However when it comes to EVs the Tesla is not a luxury car and does not carry a luxury price. Look at the price of the luxury EVs, Porche, BMW, Mercs and Etrons.
You can buy Kias, Nissans, Fords, Polestars all more expensive than the Teslas when tooled up to a similar spec. Stop calling Teslas expensive. They are not and are particularly competitive when Company cars!
Did you quote the wrong post? I didn’t call a Tesla expensive and you’d have to go a long way to find me using the word luxury and Tesla in the same sentence 😂

They’re more expensive than Kias and Nissans though. Please don’t talk about tooling cars up to a similar spec to Tesla, you have to start ripping features out of cars to bring them DOWN to Tesla’s spec level.

Reactions: roadcred and CWT3LR
View attachment 892573

Tesla's lead is still pretty solid over the competition.

What's surprises me is that the Leaf is in there are #5. My wife has a 2020 Leaf and it's entirely adequate, yet Nissan manage to sell it into the top 5 EVs still despite being pretty dated in many respects. I guess it goes to show how low volume other makes are still.

Surprisingly good showing for Mini as well.
Go Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Artiste
Did you quote the wrong post? I didn’t call a Tesla expensive and you’d have to go a long way to find me using the word luxury and Tesla in the same sentence 😂

They’re more expensive than Kias and Nissans though. Please don’t talk about tooling cars up to a similar spec to Tesla, you have to start ripping features out of cars to bring them DOWN to Tesla’s spec level.
Thats a bit harsh, no? I do see your point however. as its not a simple matter of spec v spec, and that kind of annoys me when you have these types of discussions on here or on pistonheads etc.

Its a bit like comparing 500g of minced beef. Aldi sell it at £2.50, my local artisan butcher sells it at £5, albeit, its Aberdeen Angus mince. Spec for spec, Aldi wins hands down but people still like the other option, due to taste/texture etc. In the car world, that taste/texture difference could be described as 'refinement' or ride quality for example. So these spec for spec discussions, while quantifiable, aren't the full picture, which I think is your point? And I do get that point but too many people don't see it (or choose not to)

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Thats a bit harsh, no? I do see your point however. as its not a simple matter of spec v spec, and that kind of annoys me when you have these types of discussions on here or on pistonheads etc.

Its a bit like comparing 500g of minced beef. Aldi sell it at £2.50, my local artisan butcher sells it at £5, albeit, its Aberdeen Angus mince. Spec for spec, Aldi wins hands down but people still like the other option, due to taste/texture etc. In the car world, that taste/texture difference could be described as 'refinement' or ride quality for example. So these spec for spec discussions, while quantifiable, aren't the full picture, which I think is your point? And I do get that point but too many people don't see it (or choose not to)
Well I was just replying to the point about speccing up competitors to have the same spec as Tesla, where the reality is more about reducing their spec down to Tesla levels.

The Aldi/Sainsburys/waitrose/artisan comparison stands well, good example. I can’t think of much equipment in my Tesla that is of better quality than my old BMW and most is of inferior quality to my old Land Rover. I’d probably say the Tesla is generally Sainsburys. Which is in line with my expectations, not a criticism.

E.g a Tesla electric closing hatch is not as sophisticated as a BMW/LR one, TACC/LK/Autopilot inferior too (deliberately giving one hardware example and one software). I do struggle to think of anything better on the Tesla versus those two, beyond EV drivetrain, but then I compare with my wife’s 9 year old Toyota and the Tesla starts to score some points.

Reactions: 2020M3SR
The transfer value of that (relatively small) pension is insane.

Anyone in the a position to have a self administered pension should do it! (i.e. transfer a final-scheme pot from a way-back-when snippet of employment)

On the haggling, I always did my reaerch online and fired off emails to the likely dealers

So everyone (you included, Natch!) is happy with the price they paid, assuming it was the best deal available, whereas actually everyone got a worse deal, that day, than the one person who didn't!

You know Tesla are only helping themselves, right? They just moved the profit up the chain. They’re already in the discounting game as seen at the end of Q4.

Sure, but in doing so they have maintained a short queue for those that are happy to pay the raised price, whereas the other Marquees have moved to 12 - 24 month wait instead ... Personally I can't figure out why the other marques haven't done a wait-shortening (and profit-raising!) price rise too

Reactions: UkNorthampton