Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y third best selling car in the UK in 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SMMT figures for December and the whole of 2022 are out: Car Registrations

Headlines:
  • Model Y was the third best selling car (that's all cars, not just EVs) in 2022
  • Model Y was the best selling car in December 2022
  • Model 3 was the second best selling car in December 2022
Also reported by the BBC
Time to look forward to the "Tesla sales Collapse" headlines at the start of Feb when the January figures are in then

So forget that. The key stat is the annual figure which the OP quoted. Worthy of note?
Sure those numbers are much more representative and worthy of praise.

Not sure why those end of quarter numbers were necessary when the overall numbers were enough - it’s a common thing I see done on here at the end of every quarter where they’re thrown about with zero context to make it look like Tesla are doing much better than they actually are

Sure those numbers are much more representative and worthy of praise.

Not sure why those end of quarter numbers were necessary when the overall numbers were enough - it’s a common thing I see done on here at the end of every quarter where they’re thrown about with zero context to make it look like Tesla are doing much better than they actually are
UK and Europe starved of Teslas from China due to shutdowns of Shanghai factory, ports, suppliers, logistics for quite a while. Therefore an argument could be made that Oct-Dec 2022 is more representative going forwards, especially as the Year-To-date ranking is increasing nicely. If supply is more available, these last 3 months are indicative of the next 3 months, indeed year.

It's still a supply story, not demand. If Tesla demand does fall, I expect it to fall less than other brands which will probably crater. Tesla always have the option of decreasing prices due to their high margins, increasing production capacity, further production efficiencies, ability to stimulate demand in new and existing markets & no debt. Other brands cannot do this, especially if volumes decline and interest rates on their humungous debts increase. Large costs have to be spread across fewer vehicles, destroying legacy OEM margins.

Model Y
Dec 2022 - 3rd highest in Year-To-Date
Nov 2022 - 9th highest in Year-To-Date
Oct 2022 - 10th highest in Year-To-Date

November 2022 Tesla Model Y was second

Top models [November 2022]​

The Tesla Model Y once again made a splash in the UK, becoming the second most registered car with 4,229 units.

This significant achievement allowed it to strengthen the Model Y's position year-to-date - currently #9 with 24,887 units.

The Tesla Model Y was also #2 in September (8th YTD), #2 in June (10th YTD), and #1 in March (#6 YTD).

The brief stats provided by SMMT do not allow us to see individual registration results for electric cars. What we do now is that no other standalone BEV entered the top 10.

1672920302752.png

October 2022

1672920480868.png

1672923187166.png

Tesla's lead is still pretty solid over the competition.

What's surprises me is that the Leaf is in there are #5. My wife has a 2020 Leaf and it's entirely adequate, yet Nissan manage to sell it into the top 5 EVs still despite being pretty dated in many respects. I guess it goes to show how low volume other makes are still.

Surprisingly good showing for Mini as well.

Perhaps the headline could read:
Quite well off people bought model y the rest of the population couldn't afford new cars.
Next week's headline:
Model y owners in 3 hour queues at services.

Or in other words these figures mean very little while COVID effects drag on and the economy tanks.
Tesla selling relatively expensive cars in a recession. Need to compare with Audi, Merc, BMW etc. I think many existing ICE owners will either buy an EV or soldier on until they can be sure about the correct option. The more people they know with Teslas/EVs, the more comfortable they'll feel. Until then, ICE valley of death.

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Skoda, VW, Seat all down Year-On-Year.

From @jpr007 on twitter - might be more up to date graph.

1672923356334.png

Tesla's lead is still pretty solid over the competition.
What's surprises me is that the Leaf is in there are #5
Surprisingly good showing for Mini as well

I know that range isn't important if you don't drive out of range Natch! but I was curious as some of these are not going to go far on a charge

I already had a John O'Groats to Lands End route in ABRP ... so I tried a simulation of the Top 10 EVs (latest models in ABRP) @15C

kWh / Wh/mile / Charge time
253kWh 286Wh/mi 1h32m Tesla Model Y LR
221kWh 250Wh/mi 1h8m Tesla Model 3 LR
246kWh 273Wh/mi 2h48m Kia e-Niro (64kWh)
244kWh 276Wh/mi 2h20m VW ID.3 (Pro S 77kWh)
256kWh 284Wh/mi 4h32m Nisssan Leaf (62kWh)
240Wh/mi Mini Electric (Cooper SE) - Couldn't get any further than Tomatin Distillery - I suppose that's a fair outcome!! - although arrival SOC was -22% :(
291kWh 326Wh/mi 2h41m Polestar 2 (2022 LR Dual Motor)
270kWh 300Wh/mi 3h45m MG5 EV (LR)
238kWh 269Wh/mi 1h34m BMW i4 (eDrive 40)
252kWh 285Wh/mi 1h49m BMW i4 (M50)
295kWh 330Wh/mi 2h34m Audi Q4 e-Tron (50 Quattro)

241kWh 271Wh/mi 1h12m Tesla Model S (2021 Facelift)

I know that range isn't important if you don't drive out of range Natch! but I was curious as some of these are not going to go far on a charge

I already had a John O'Groats to Lands End route in ABRP ... so I tried a simulation of the Top 10 EVs (latest models in ABRP) @15C

kWh / Wh/mile / Charge time
253kWh 286Wh/mi 1h32m Tesla Model Y LR
221kWh 250Wh/mi 1h8m Tesla Model 3 LR
246kWh 273Wh/mi 2h48m Kia e-Niro (64kWh)
244kWh 276Wh/mi 2h20m VW ID.3 (Pro S 77kWh)
256kWh 284Wh/mi 4h32m Nisssan Leaf (62kWh)
240Wh/mi Mini Electric (Cooper SE) - Couldn't get any further than Tomatin Distillery - I suppose that's a fair outcome!! - although arrival SOC was -22% :(
291kWh 326Wh/mi 2h41m Polestar 2 (2022 LR Dual Motor)
270kWh 300Wh/mi 3h45m MG5 EV (LR)
238kWh 269Wh/mi 1h34m BMW i4 (eDrive 40)
252kWh 285Wh/mi 1h49m BMW i4 (M50)
295kWh 330Wh/mi 2h34m Audi Q4 e-Tron (50 Quattro)

241kWh 271Wh/mi 1h12m Tesla Model S (2021 Facelift)
Interesting, I thought the Model S would win it. Teslas worst was 1:32 (Y SR might be slower), best other car at 1:34, many over 2 hours.

Insurance is another big factor preventing even further domination by Teslas. Any young or less experienced drivers, recent accidents or high crime area might lead to other EV buys, the less performance or enticing to steal, the better.

Quick search:-

48-50 out of 50 for Teslas
Nissan Leaf - 21-28 out of 50
Renault Zoe 18-24

I wish EV Database had a cheat sheet for insurance groups.

I think some/many drivers will be uninsurable on even Tesla Model 3 (SR/SR+).

Interesting, I thought the Model S would win it. Teslas worst was 1:32 (Y SR might be slower), best other car at 1:34, many over 2 hours.

Insurance is another big factor preventing even further domination by Teslas. Any young or less experienced drivers, recent accidents or high crime area might lead to other EV buys, the less performance or enticing to steal, the better.

Quick search:-

48-50 out of 50 for Teslas
Nissan Leaf - 21-28 out of 50
Renault Zoe 18-24

I wish EV Database had a cheat sheet for insurance groups.

I think some/many drivers will be uninsurable on even Tesla Model 3 (SR/SR+).
Given the mini has "second car" written all over it due to the range I think they have made a mistake having only one variant cooper s badged with180bhp. My wife would love a mini EV but I have two teenagers who need to drive the second car and in the first year after passing the driving test the mini is £2000-£2500 with a new driver on the policy. Which is 3-4 times more than say a Zoe or a Corsa E or a petrol Mini One.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Tesla selling relatively expensive cars in a recession. Need to compare with Audi, Merc, BMW etc. I think many existing ICE owners will either buy an EV or soldier on until they can be sure about the correct option. The more people they know with Teslas/EVs, the more comfortable they'll feel. Until then, ICE valley of death.

BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Skoda, VW, Seat all down Year-On-Year.

From @jpr007 on twitter - might be more up to date graph.

View attachment 892577
That graph is very optimistic about the overall growth in vehicle sales! At least we can see that the author has no faith in a shared vehicle/robotaxi future.

I think you write off the other manufacturers too easily. My next EV will be something along the lines of a Kia EV9 or LR D6. The Model X i overlooked in 2018 and I would do the same again based on my Model Y. I’m probably not that unusual in being a Tesla owner who sees the next car as coming from elsewhere.

I don’t personally think it’s right to compare the likes of the Model Y to the premium brands. I bought the MY as the cheap option (relatively) as cars such as the i4, various E-trons or EQs don’t appeal enough to me for the higher prices they come with. Teslas might be expensive compared with their lower range ICE models but they are cheap compared with the EVs. The real Tesla competitors are Toyota/Skoda/VW/Kia/Hyundai et al.