Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Winter Tire Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why did you go for 19" vs. 20?
In winter the many freeze and thaw cycles that occur results in many potholes being created in the road surface. The 19" wheel with the standard size 255/45R-19 tire has a half inch more height to the sidewall than does the 20" wheel with 255/40R-20 tire. (The overall outer diameter of the 19" and 20" tire and wheel combination is the same for each of these configurations.) The extra half inch of sidewall may help prevent damaging the tire and/or wheel when encountering a pothole.

For those looking, I was able to order the Tesla Model Y 19" Gemini Wheel and Winter tire Package. I had put my name on the list and got an email two nights ago, order it right away, check on the website yesterday and they were gone already. The last time my remote service person came, he told me that they will bring the tire set out and install onto the car.

I need an all season set of wheels and tires for my MYP. The two I’m looking at are the Tsportline TST 20” with p zero all seasons or from aftermarket EV the 19” Replika 241 with pilot sport all seasons. If I go the replika route it should be substantially cheaper. Are the two choices comparable in quality and both fit like oem?

I hate trying to figure out what wheels and tires to get. For some reason all the wheels and tires options make my head spin and I can’t wrap my mind around it all.

I live in an area (research triangle) that can get a little snow and may go up to the mountains a couple of times, where there may be some snow. Is it worth investing in some winter wheels for the possibility of snow?

I ended up going with the 20” wheel/tire package from TSportline with Michelin all season sport 4 tires. It was pricey but I’d rather not risk my good wheels to the winter roads. Now I just need to figure out where to get them mounted along with the TPMS. Can I do that at the Tesla service center?

I ended up going with the 20” wheel/tire package from TSportline with Michelin all season sport 4 tires. It was pricey but I’d rather not risk my good wheels to the winter roads. Now I just need to figure out where to get them mounted along with the TPMS. Can I do that at the Tesla service center?
Tesla Service and Tesla Mobile Service (where available) will rotate your tires and will also swap your summer performance or all-season tires for wheels w/winter tires. (This takes no longer than rotating your tires.) Ask the Tesla Service center if they will swap your wheels for winter setup with the 3rd party wheels.

Reactions: torifile
If you switch to 19" wheels there are winter tire options available, also more all-season tire options. You would also need to purchase a set of tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors for $300 to $400 / per set of 4 sensors.

Performance Model Y owners will soon be able to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ultra high performance all-season tire in size 255/35R-21 (Front) and 275/35R-21 (Rear.) For those who can't wait the Pilot Sport AS4 tire in 265/35R-21 can be substituted for the front tire although it may slightly rub the fender liner at the turn limit of the steering wheel.
is this true?

Amazing. Are these enough in the snow? Does this mean ill need to purchase the summer tires if I want more speed when summer comes around?
If under three or so inches of snow and after the road has been plowed the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tires should be ok for daily winter driving. I would not suggest heading into the mountains, in winter, with this setup.

Reactions: goin2drt
any recommendations for 19" winter tires + wheel? they are all mostly sold out for me
Not really. Any winter tire is going to be worlds better when driving on snow and ice than an all-season tire. The differences between different brands, models of winter tires is not as great. Also, you can go slightly taller (more sidewall) or wider while staying close to the OE size 255/45R-19; Think 255/50R-19. Pay attention to the tire load index (Tesla specifies 104 for the 19" wheels.) The speed rating for winter tires is not as critical. There are not many W or Y speed rated winter tires but then no one should expect to drive at the vehicle's maximum speed on winter tires. When driving on a frozen lake I don't know if the vehicle would reach it's rated top speed (i.e. 135 MPH for LR Model Y and 155 MPH for Performance Model Y.) A V speed rating would be fine.

You can use this tire size calculator to compare tires of similar but different sizes, estimate any speedometer error.

Tire Size Comparison

The 19” geminis fit. Any tire you want to go on there will work. Check Facebook marketplace for some wheels. I have found several in my area. I almost went that route but just decided to get the 21” all season contis instead.
Are you sure you can use gemini on the performance model y? Im not sure about that. It says on tesla's website "Note: This package is not compatible with Model Y Performance Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive configured with 21" Performance Wheels. "

You can re-use your existing TPMS sensors.
For Michelin CC2 in 255/40R-19 the load index is 100, should be 104 (Tesla's spec for the load index with 19" wheels.) You would want more sidewall, i.e. a 45 or 50 aspect ratio not less (40 aspect ratio)

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6-79o_jN9AIVTsvICh2YfwGTEAAYASAAEgLa0PD_BwE&techid=7&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMI6-79o_jN9AIVTsvICh2YfwGTEAAYASAAEgLa0PD_BwE:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!351458717475!e!!g!!tire aspect ratio&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35