Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Winter Tire Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I ordered a Model Y Performance (deep blue metallic) and am expecting delivery some time between November and December. I'm coming from a 2015 Subaru WRX and I live in New York (downstate) where we get decent snow a few days out of the year. My WRX with the Blizzak LM001 tire was an absolute monster in the snow. I've done some reading and found some mixed reviews on the Model Y in the snow. I'm sure this has a lot to do with conditions/ability, but it ultimately weighs most heavily on tire selection.

I understand the Model Y Performance ships with the 21 inch rims and summer tires which are not ideal for cold temps or snow. I work in healthcare and I have kids, so I need to be able to make it to work and move my kids around safely.

From what I can tell, the tire/snow package on Tesla's website are not functional with the Model Y Performance. I'm about to put out a call to Tirerack and see what they have to say, but I'm looking for some advice from people here since winter is around the corner.

Which rims and/or tire or tires/rim package has everyone found to be the best option for driving in the snow? I'm used to swapping summer tires for winter tires once a year, and I'd be fine doing this again, but I'm willing to buy the rims with tires just to.do it myself or save the beautiful cosmetics of the Uberturbines.

Let me know what you guys have figured out. Thank you! Can't wait to receive my first Tesla!

If you switch to 19" wheels there are winter tire options available, also more all-season tire options. You would also need to purchase a set of tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors for $300 to $400 / per set of 4 sensors.

Performance Model Y owners will soon be able to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ultra high performance all-season tire in size 255/35R-21 (Front) and 275/35R-21 (Rear.) For those who can't wait the Pilot Sport AS4 tire in 265/35R-21 can be substituted for the front tire although it may slightly rub the fender liner at the turn limit of the steering wheel.

Model Y Wheel and Winter Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Come mounted, balanced, and w/ new TPMS sensors. Ready to put on the car.
If you switch to 19" wheels there are winter tire options available, also more all-season tire options. You would also need to purchase a set of tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors for $300 to $400 / per set of 4 sensors.

Performance Model Y owners will soon be able to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ultra high performance all-season tire in size 255/35R-21 (Front) and 275/35R-21 (Rear.) For those who can't wait the Pilot Sport AS4 tire in 265/35R-21 can be substituted for the front tire although it may slightly rub the fender liner at the turn limit of the steering wheel.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I was just looking at those 19" rim/tire combos on the TSportline website, and while a bit pricey, I think they probably fall in line with what a decent set of rims would cost with some top of line winter rubber (and the includes TPMS).

I just switched from the Pilot Sport 4S to the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 on my 2015 WRX. I previously had used the AS3+ on my WRX and they were great during the year, and pretty decent in the snow, but nowhere near as good as a dedicated snow tire. I have some concerns about how the car will handle with the regenerative braking, but I'm sure I'll figure that out.

Reactions: bnb5550
For those who can't wait the Pilot Sport AS4 tire in 265/35R-21 can be substituted for the front tire although it may slightly rub the fender liner at the turn limit of the steering wheel.
I think the one that slightly rubbed, was the guy that also upsized the sidewall. I think he was running a 265/40-21. If that's the case, the 35 probably won't rub at all.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Good color choice! (I ordered the same). I just went through this same snow tire process, and picked up some 19" Replika wheels and 255/45/19 Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires. I was able to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla, and had everything shipped to a tire shop near where I'll take delivery of the car... so the plan will be to pick up the car, drive to the tire shop, and swap them out before I drive home (~400 miles). I'm in Montana so the 21" tires would be too dodgy for that drive in Nov/Dec.

Good color choice! (I ordered the same). I just went through this same snow tire process, and picked up some 19" Replika wheels and 255/45/19 Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires. I was able to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla, and had everything shipped to a tire shop near where I'll take delivery of the car... so the plan will be to pick up the car, drive to the tire shop, and swap them out before I drive home (~400 miles). I'm in Montana so the 21" tires would be too dodgy for that drive in Nov/Dec.
Would you mind telling me where you purchased these and what the bore size and offset was? I like the look and the price compared to the TSportline alternative.

Would you mind telling me where you purchased these and what the bore size and offset was? I like the look and the price compared to the TSportline alternative.

For sure. I had the same opinion.. I think the Replika wheels look better than the T-SPortline options, but also like that they're less expensive.

Many people seem to opt for the 19"x8.5" wheels, which is what I was originally planning to get. The 8.5" width allows the tires to stick out a bit beyond the rim lip so you get better curb protection. When I dug into the specs (I'm an engineer so need to go deep) I found that the weight capacity of the 19"x8.5" is not quite up to spec for the Model Y which specifies the following weight capacity per axle: 19" is 3600 lbs / 20" is 3300 lbs / 21" is 3500 lbs

Replika 19"x8.5" = 1698 lb/wheel or 3396lb/axle
Replika 19"x9.5" = 1808 lb/wheel or 3616lb/axle.

Granted they're both close, and many people use the 19"x8.5 with no issues, but I wanted to make sure that I met the spec, so I went with the 19"x9.5" wheel. I also like that it had the factory offset to keep the wheel tucked under the car so junk doesn't get splashed up on the side. Here's the specs:

SKU: W219571
Size: 19x9.5
Hub Bore: 64.1
PCD: 5x114.3
Load index: 1808
Offset: 45
Finish: Space Grey

I bought them from 1010tires.com as the shipping was reasonable to the US. Keep in mind that it takes like 3 weeks for them to get here, so plan accordingly!

For sure. I had the same opinion.. I think the Replika wheels look better than the T-SPortline options, but also like that they're less expensive.

Many people seem to opt for the 19"x8.5" wheels, which is what I was originally planning to get. The 8.5" width allows the tires to stick out a bit beyond the rim lip so you get better curb protection. When I dug into the specs (I'm an engineer so need to go deep) I found that the weight capacity of the 19"x8.5" is not quite up to spec for the Model Y which specifies the following weight capacity per axle: 19" is 3600 lbs / 20" is 3300 lbs / 21" is 3500 lbs

Replika 19"x8.5" = 1698 lb/wheel or 3396lb/axle
Replika 19"x9.5" = 1808 lb/wheel or 3616lb/axle.

Granted they're both close, and many people use the 19"x8.5 with no issues, but I wanted to make sure that I met the spec, so I went with the 19"x9.5" wheel. I also like that it had the factory offset to keep the wheel tucked under the car so junk doesn't get splashed up on the side. Here's the specs:

SKU: W219571
Size: 19x9.5
Hub Bore: 64.1
PCD: 5x114.3
Load index: 1808
Offset: 45
Finish: Space Grey

I bought them from 1010tires.com as the shipping was reasonable to the US. Keep in mind that it takes like 3 weeks for them to get here, so plan accordingly!
Dude, thank you so much for the indepth response. Initially I was looking at the 8.5 because of the slightly reduced chance of curb rash, but I too am fairly concerned with meeting spec. I'm probably going to order that exact same setup, but in the satin black.

Have you been stacking them when not in use? I'm wondering if that would possibly cause damage or bend/scratch the rims.

Thank you so much, and thanks to everyone else for the replies.

Dude, thank you so much for the indepth response. Initially I was looking at the 8.5 because of the slightly reduced chance of curb rash, but I too am fairly concerned with meeting spec. I'm probably going to order that exact same setup, but in the satin black.

Have you been stacking them when not in use? I'm wondering if that would possibly cause damage or bend/scratch the rims.

Thank you so much, and thanks to everyone else for the replies.
Glad the info helps. It's a confusing soup out there to dial everything in. I was torn between the black and the gray - I think they both look awesome.

I don't have my car yet. I'm in the same boat as you with a Nov/Dec delivery. In fact I don't even have the wheels tires yet either! My wallet is drained but they're sitting at a tire shop in SLC waiting for Tesla.

In my experience, it's no biggie to stack them if you put cardboard in between. I'm guessing that the 9.5's would contact the floor/other wheels if I tried to stack them w/o the cardboard. I guess we'll find out!

Another option is Martian MW03 wheels. More expensive, higher load rating too, so you can still get the 8.5 and curb rash protection while maintaining the load rating. That is what I got last year. But long lead times too, so might not be a viable option this year.

You can also get the Replika from Aftermarketev.com, although it doesn’t seem like the load ratings are listed correctly there.
I love my Tsportline TST. They often have sales during holidays. I like the shape (more dramatic edges) and the grey finish (glossy and metallic) better than the Replika version. I have 20” with The PS4 option, which strangely they are not providing TPMS with currently.

Glad the info helps. It's a confusing soup out there to dial everything in. I was torn between the black and the gray - I think they both look awesome.

I don't have my car yet. I'm in the same boat as you with a Nov/Dec delivery. In fact I don't even have the wheels tires yet either! My wallet is drained but they're sitting at a tire shop in SLC waiting for Tesla.

In my experience, it's no biggie to stack them if you put cardboard in between. I'm guessing that the 9.5's would contact the floor/other wheels if I tried to stack them w/o the cardboard. I guess we'll find out!
So I ordered the replikas from 1010tires, I'm working on Tesla for ordering the TPMS, but I can't seem to nail down the Hakkapellita tires. Tirerack doesn't carry them. Mavis can't get them. I'm about to get the Michelin xice3 or the blizzak wd80s (or 60s, I forget).

Can you tell me where you found the Hakkas? I assume they were the R3 Suv, but we're they the XL or SL rating? The Hakkas already to be the best for winter, so is really like to get a set.

So I ordered the replikas from 1010tires, I'm working on Tesla for ordering the TPMS, but I can't seem to nail down the Hakkapellita tires. Tirerack doesn't carry them. Mavis can't get them. I'm about to get the Michelin xice3 or the blizzak wd80s (or 60s, I forget).

Can you tell me where you found the Hakkas? I assume they were the R3 Suv, but we're they the XL or SL rating? The Hakkas already to be the best for winter, so is really like to get a set.

I got the tires from a tire shop in Salt Lake City. You're right that Tirerack doesn't carry them, but I bet if you called some local shops in your area you could scare some up. I got the 255/45/19 104T Hakkapelitta R3 which are XL rated (up to 2000 lb). Hope the info helps, and hope you can find a set nearby. For what it's worth, I paid $270/tire + mount and balance.

Discount Tire here - special order to get them last year

I got the tires from a tire shop in Salt Lake City. You're right that Tirerack doesn't carry them, but I bet if you called some local shops in your area you could scare some up. I got the 255/45/19 104T Hakkapelitta R3 which are XL rated (up to 2000 lb). Hope the info helps, and hope you can find a set nearby. For what it's worth, I paid $270/tire + mount and balance.
Discount Tire can usually order whatever you want from anywhere... They even ordered me a custom set of 2 piece forged wheels from Japan for me, for my Infiniti a few years back. They even helped me pick the right offsets to make the wheels look flush, etc.

So the Replica r241 wheels are backordered for 6 weeks, but that's fine because I'm not getting the car until November/December. The Hakka r3 Suv XL tires are gonna take two weeks, but that's cool. Tesla is a real PITA to get through to for the TPMS. I've called 3 times, been transferred twice, hung up on twice, been called back and disconnected once, and had an email rejected by the service department.

I'll get there soon. I can feel it. Probably just have to walk into the Tesla dealership near me.

Also, I've been reading that Tesla has been delivering the Model Y with mudflaps and PPF already applied in some markets. Is there any rhyme or reason to figuring out if I'll get lucky with that? Or what model year between 2021/2022 I'll be receiving? Or if it'll have the newer 4860 battery pack?

So much mystery.

Have you tried contacting your sales advisor or whatever they call themselves...

If you already had a Telsa then you could submit a service request via the app like I did and somebody will get back to you to confirm the order. But as far as I can recall, that is not available to you until you take delivery first, if this is your first Tesla, no other cars connected to your account.

Push comes to shove, take your new rims and tires to the shop, get them to take the TPMS from the wheels that came with the car so you can get the other rims and tires setup and installed for the winter. Then you can order more TPMS at your leisure and mount them in your original rims for next spring. PITA to do it that way, but an option...

So the Replica r241 wheels are backordered for 6 weeks, but that's fine because I'm not getting the car until November/December. The Hakka r3 Suv XL tires are gonna take two weeks, but that's cool. Tesla is a real PITA to get through to for the TPMS. I've called 3 times, been transferred twice, hung up on twice, been called back and disconnected once, and had an email rejected by the service department.

I'll get there soon. I can feel it. Probably just have to walk into the Tesla dealership near me.

Also, I've been reading that Tesla has been delivering the Model Y with mudflaps and PPF already applied in some markets. Is there any rhyme or reason to figuring out if I'll get lucky with that? Or what model year between 2021/2022 I'll be receiving? Or if it'll have the newer 4860 battery pack?

So much mystery.
You can just walk into a service center and buy TPMS sensors, but you need a VIN. They will not sell parts without a VIN.