Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Winter Tire Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can just walk into a service center and buy TPMS sensors, but you need a VIN. They will not sell parts without a VIN.
Well at this point I don't yet have a vin, and also no way to know whether it'll be a 2021 or 2022.

This'll be my first Tesla. Gotta say the dealer experience in person has been great, minus the limited knowledge of the cars and their specs by the reps they have working at my local Tesla dealership. But that's not uncommon from what I've seen even compared to non-tesla car salesman who are working on commission.

But the over the phone virtual assistance with something as simple as procuring a TPMS has been abysmal.

So the Replica r241 wheels are backordered for 6 weeks, but that's fine because I'm not getting the car until November/December. The Hakka r3 Suv XL tires are gonna take two weeks, but that's cool. Tesla is a real PITA to get through to for the TPMS. I've called 3 times, been transferred twice, hung up on twice, been called back and disconnected once, and had an email rejected by the service department.

I'll get there soon. I can feel it. Probably just have to walk into the Tesla dealership near me.

Also, I've been reading that Tesla has been delivering the Model Y with mudflaps and PPF already applied in some markets. Is there any rhyme or reason to figuring out if I'll get lucky with that? Or what model year between 2021/2022 I'll be receiving? Or if it'll have the newer 4860 battery pack?

So much mystery.

Bummer about the wheels, but not surprising. I think they sell out every year. Regarding PPG and flaps, my sales advisor confirmed that my MYP pickup in SLC will have PPG and mudflaps. I'd also suggest giving the SLC service center a call about the TPMS. They returned my call the same day, and I received the sensors 2 days later even though I don't yet have a VIN. Pretty impressive service.

Bummer about the wheels, but not surprising. I think they sell out every year. Regarding PPG and flaps, my sales advisor confirmed that my MYP pickup in SLC will have PPG and mudflaps. I'd also suggest giving the SLC service center a call about the TPMS. They returned my call the same day, and I received the sensors 2 days later even though I don't yet have a VIN. Pretty impressive service.
That's awesome on all fronts. Did they confirm what parts of the car are getting the PPF? Definitely want to get the bumper/mirrors/rocker. Looking into xpel installers in my area (lower Hudson Valley New York)

I've had Hakka R3's and Blizzaks on several other cars, but couldn't find Hakka's in 19" last winter, so went with the Conti VikingContact 7's and they are good. Conti's quieter and rated better in Ice and Snow, better on dry pavement, not as good in wet handling but hydroplaned less. Hakka's are still amazing tires in snow. I recommend using Off-Road Assist, Low Regen braking, and Chill Mode in snow if you want the best traction. The car is normally rear wheel biased so you will notice the difference in stability as the front drive kicks in when the rear slips. Off-Road keeps in in more of a full-time AWD and it feels more stable. Pre-condition battery before winter driving otherwise any regen brakiing will be de-activated and you'll use your brakes more to slow down, you just don't want regen to lock up your wheels. Torque and regen can overwhelm the traction if you aren't careful. I live in CO and drive the MY on not just twisty, but WTF steep mountain roads every day when there's snow. Changing the driving settings is key to getting the most winter traction.

Reactions: Montucky and Apathy
Model Y Wheel and Winter Tire Package - T Sportline - Tesla Model S, 3, X & Y Accessories

Come mounted, balanced, and w/ new TPMS sensors. Ready to put on the car.
Hi! Will these work with the Performance Y? I was told by my Tesla service rep that Tesla's 20" wheels won't fit the Performance Y due to the brake caliper size.

I'm happy to have a smaller wheel in the winter (in fact, I'd prefer it for range purposes) but only if they will fit my Performance Y properly.

Thanks!

Good color choice! (I ordered the same). I just went through this same snow tire process, and picked up some 19" Replika wheels and 255/45/19 Nokian Hakka R3 snow tires. I was able to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla, and had everything shipped to a tire shop near where I'll take delivery of the car... so the plan will be to pick up the car, drive to the tire shop, and swap them out before I drive home (~400 miles). I'm in Montana so the 21" tires would be too dodgy for that drive in Nov/Dec.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your solution. How can you be sure the 19" wheels you ordered will fit on the Performance Y? I'm in the same boat, Performance Y and looking for a winter tire solution, but I'm worried that a smaller wheel won't work.

I was told by my local Tesla service team that Tesla's Model Y Winter Tire and Wheel package won't work for the Performance Y because the 20" wheels in that package aren't compatible with the large brake calipers of the Performance Y.

Before I buy the Replikas (or any other 19" or 20" option), I'd like some assurance that the wheels will work.

Thanks!

Hi! Will these work with the Performance Y? I was told by my Tesla service rep that Tesla's 20" wheels won't fit the Performance Y due to the brake caliper size.

I'm happy to have a smaller wheel in the winter (in fact, I'd prefer it for range purposes) but only if they will fit my Performance Y properly.

Thanks!
Yes. The Brake calipers on the MYP do not prevent most 20" or 19" wheels from being mounted on them. The stock 20" inductions, 19" Gemini, and lots of options from TSportline, Martian, etc. will fit.

Hi. Thanks for sharing your solution. How can you be sure the 19" wheels you ordered will fit on the Performance Y? I'm in the same boat, Performance Y and looking for a winter tire solution, but I'm worried that a smaller wheel won't work.

I was told by my local Tesla service team that Tesla's Model Y Winter Tire and Wheel package won't work for the Performance Y because the 20" wheels in that package aren't compatible with the large brake calipers of the Performance Y.

Before I buy the Replikas (or any other 19" or 20" option), I'd like some assurance that the wheels will work.

Thanks!

Since I haven't installed them yet, I can only point to a Youtube video of a guy who put Geminis (19") on his MYP as well as the fact that T-Sportline and Martian both sell 19" wheel packages that fit the MYP. The shop that I ordered the wheels from in Canada also has a "fitment check" step in their ordering process, and they didn't flag any incompatibilities with my specified application on the MYP.

How can you be sure the 19" wheels you ordered will fit on the Performance Y? I'm in the same boat, Performance Y and looking for a winter tire solution, but I'm worried that a smaller wheel won't work.

There are threads all over this site with people putting different wheel sizes on the MYP. For example:

Or check out the TSportline website and look at any of their 19" wheels. There are pictures of their wheels on several Performance Model Ys. Look for the red calipers.

Reactions: NHK X
If you switch to 19" wheels there are winter tire options available, also more all-season tire options. You would also need to purchase a set of tire pressure monitor system (TPMS) sensors for $300 to $400 / per set of 4 sensors.

Performance Model Y owners will soon be able to purchase the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 ultra high performance all-season tire in size 255/35R-21 (Front) and 275/35R-21 (Rear.) For those who can't wait the Pilot Sport AS4 tire in 265/35R-21 can be substituted for the front tire although it may slightly rub the fender liner at the turn limit of the steering wheel.
Just to clarify the 265/35/21 on Model Y performance were put on stock rims?

Just to clarify the 265/35/21 on Model Y performance were put on stock rims?
That is my understanding; the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 in size 265/35R-21 will fit the front wheels of the Performance Model Y. Until recently the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 tire was not available in OE front tire size 255/35R-21. The OE front tire fits a 9.5 inch wheel, the OE rear tire 275/35R-21 tire is for a 10.5 inch wheel.

Hi, I ordered a Model Y Performance (deep blue metallic) and am expecting delivery some time between November and December. I'm coming from a 2015 Subaru WRX and I live in New York (downstate) where we get decent snow a few days out of the year. My WRX with the Blizzak LM001 tire was an absolute monster in the snow. I've done some reading and found some mixed reviews on the Model Y in the snow. I'm sure this has a lot to do with conditions/ability, but it ultimately weighs most heavily on tire selection.

I understand the Model Y Performance ships with the 21 inch rims and summer tires which are not ideal for cold temps or snow. I work in healthcare and I have kids, so I need to be able to make it to work and move my kids around safely.

From what I can tell, the tire/snow package on Tesla's website are not functional with the Model Y Performance. I'm about to put out a call to Tirerack and see what they have to say, but I'm looking for some advice from people here since winter is around the corner.

Which rims and/or tire or tires/rim package has everyone found to be the best option for driving in the snow? I'm used to swapping summer tires for winter tires once a year, and I'd be fine doing this again, but I'm willing to buy the rims with tires just to.do it myself or save the beautiful cosmetics of the Uberturbines.

Let me know what you guys have figured out. Thank you! Can't wait to receive my first Tesla!
Did you find a solution? I too have the same question for my new Y performance

Did you find a solution? I too have the same question for my new Y performance
If you're in Oregon, you don't need dedicated winters, unless you plan on trying to drive on freezing rain, which I don't recommend. It doesn't really snow enough to justify dedicated winters. I've been running different iterations of Conti DWS for the last 20 years, and I have literally never needed to chain up in the PacNW, and I live on a hill... Every year countless people leave their cars/suvs on the side of the road on our hill. I've even driven to Mt Hood several times when it was required to carry chains... My friends that were following me in their Ford Explorer got stuck, so I lent them my chains so they could make it into the parking lot. Honestly I think you'll be fine with the DWS 06 Plus. But I think they only come in 295 for the rears, and 265 for the fronts.

I don't know how the Pilot Sport AS4 will do in snow... I've run the Pilot Sport AS and AS3. They are nowhere near as good. Hopefully the AS4 are better. My coworker/neighbor has the same car I do, and he had Pilot Sport AS3 on his car, where I have DWS on mine... I've had to rescue him on our hill before, becuase he couldn't make it up the hill without chaining up. After two winters of that, he finally switched.

If you live in central or eastern oregon, maybe it's different, but I don't see the point in the valley... I don't understand the clowns running around in studded tires in the metro area from October to March....

If you're in Oregon, you don't need dedicated winters, unless you plan on trying to drive on freezing rain, which I don't recommend. It doesn't really snow enough to justify dedicated winters. I've been running different iterations of Conti DWS for the last 20 years, and I have literally never needed to chain up in the PacNW, and I live on a hill... Every year countless people leave their cars/suvs on the side of the road on our hill. I've even driven to Mt Hood several times when it was required to carry chains... My friends that were following me in their Ford Explorer got stuck, so I lent them my chains so they could make it into the parking lot. Honestly I think you'll be fine with the DWS 06 Plus. But I think they only come in 295 for the rears, and 265 for the fronts.

I don't know how the Pilot Sport AS4 will do in snow... I've run the Pilot Sport AS and AS3. They are nowhere near as good. Hopefully the AS4 are better. My coworker/neighbor has the same car I do, and he had Pilot Sport AS3 on his car, where I have DWS on mine... I've had to rescue him on our hill before, becuase he couldn't make it up the hill without chaining up. After two winters of that, he finally switched.

If you live in central or eastern oregon, maybe it's different, but I don't see the point in the valley... I don't understand the clowns running around in studded tires in the metro area from October to March....
Thanks for some ideas on tires. I'm in central Oregon and do a lot of winter driving to ski and to Pdx. I have always gotten by with all season radials on my Outback. Since I got summer tires I'm willing to bite the bullet for another set of rims/tires. Agree on the studded tire people :) I'm just trying to figure out if I can put on 20" rims on with winter tires or can I get 21's and winter tires.

MYP owner here and hoped others could chime in.

Ordered replika r241 in 19x8.5
Ordered Hakka r3 XL in 245/45/19 off discount tire
Today I got a call saying the load index doesn't match my vehicle, and that I need to change tire sizes. I was told my selected tire would work on a std dual motor but not performance, tried to reason with the person but they weren't having it.

They talked me into a 235/50/19, I believe the suv version

Last edited: