Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Listed @ $39,990 on MVPA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MikeStephenson

Supporting Member
Jul 5, 2023
Illinois
Looking at my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement for a 2023 MYP that I just took delivery of yesterday, I see the base price for the Model Y is listed at $39,990. Why is that? Is there a way to actually purchase one for $39,990? From the looks of the MY ordering page, the lowest cost MY is $47,740 at the moment. I've attached a picture of the pricing shown in my MVPA. I'm guessing they used to offer a lower optioned MY at some point, but no longer do?

Untitled.png

Look at the first line.

The pricing is that the $40k is the "base" pricing and that the trim level is the additional cost ("SR"/"AWD", LR, P). And motor configuration is part of trim.
Yes, I see that. That's pretty clear. Look at the actual questions in my first post. Is there a way to actually purchase one for $39,990? I'm guessing they used to offer a lower optioned MY at some point, but no longer do?

@MikeStephenson is posing a valid question.

That option listing page looks awfully like the classic stealership method of swindling customers in.

There is no option of "no motor", or RWD on the Y - so why is that base price listed at that value?

My purchase agreements on both M3P and MYP look quite different, also illinois

@MikeStephenson is posing a valid question.

That option listing page looks awfully like the classic stealership method of swindling customers in.

There is no option of "no motor", or RWD on the Y - so why is that base price listed at that value?

My purchase agreements on both M3P and MYP look quite different, also illinois
Thank you. You're understanding my question exactly. The reason I ask is because I like my new MYP, that I'd consider a lower cost MY to replace a second vehicle. I can't justify a $50,000+ car, but would consider something less expensive. I was just wondering if there WAS a lower cost version (ie; Single motor) that they weren't currently selling at the moment, for some reason. However, I do believe that it's likely a marketing tactic so people think they start out at $39K to hook them in.

Thank you. You're understanding my question exactly. The reason I ask is because I like my new MYP, that I'd consider a lower cost MY to replace a second vehicle. I can't justify a $50,000+ car, but would consider something less expensive. I was just wondering if there WAS a lower cost version (ie; Single motor) that they weren't currently selling at the moment, for some reason. However, I do believe that it's likely a marketing tactic so people think they start out at $39K to hook them in.
You can order a single motor standard range. It's the base $39,990 + $7,750 ($47,740) + dest ($1,390) for a total of $49,130. I see no deception in their pricing. They don't advertise it at $39,990 anywhere I can see.

Edit: Sorry, not the single motor. Just not the long range.

Last edited:

I'd look at model 3 if the lesser space can work for you. Model 3 standard range RWD is a great commuter car

Tesla has a red one listed for 39K in stock in Orland park

Reactions: MikeStephenson
Yes, I see that. That's pretty clear. Look at the actual questions in my first post. Is there a way to actually purchase one for $39,990? I'm guessing they used to offer a lower optioned MY at some point, but no longer do?
It should’ve been obvious from what I said, you have to pick a trim level. They are trim levels, not optional add-on. So therefore, no.

And yes, there was a lower trim level available, for a very short time. That was the single motor RWD, that got cancelled. Would that have been $40k? I don’t know, but would guess no and that it also had an up charge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mrdrbot23
Looking at my Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement for a 2023 MYP that I just took delivery of yesterday, I see the base price for the Model Y is listed at $39,990. Why is that? Is there a way to actually purchase one for $39,990? From the looks of the MY ordering page, the lowest cost MY is $47,740 at the moment. I've attached a picture of the pricing shown in my MVPA. I'm guessing they used to offer a lower optioned MY at some point, but no longer do?

For a VERY short time, Tesla sold the Tesla Model Y SR-RWD trim for $39,990. The price drop was on February 17, 2021 and quickly discontinued a few days later. There are posts here on TMC confirming deliveries were made at this price point. See below historic base price for all Model Y trims in the US.

Tesla Model Y Base Price History (9).png

Link to data and other references.