Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now handling TX registration and sales tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As part of my inventory Model Y order, Tesla communicated they are now registering and titling vehicles in TX.

On the Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement (MVPA) Final Price Sheet, Tesla now includes the sales tax (line 2D) and registration fees (line 3A) as non-zero values to be paid by the buyer/lender to Tesla.

Anecdotally, this change appears to have taken place in the past day or two. I made the down payment in the app yesterday to be ready for today's afternoon delivery; my MVPA updated over night to show I owed additional money from the noted line items being added.

Should I ever be allowed to take delivery, I will update on what the license plate delivery process is and how it goes.

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus
Following up with the timeline of events I experienced:

Ordered inventory MY on 08Nov.
Took delivery (after Tesla and CU-induced delays) on 22Nov.
Only one set of temp plates included and had expiration date of 14Dec.
On 12Dec, sought additional 30 day temp plates. The chat used for delivery communications had been closed, so created a service ticket under "license plate" category.
On 13Dec, Service cancelled the ticket the next day and gave an 855 number to contact, which after 30 min on hold, eventually a PDF scan of a plate with 14Jan expiration was emailed.
On 14Dec, UPS 2nd Day Air label was generated.
On 18Dec, package containing license plates and sticker arrived from Tesla Austin.

Per the TXDMV Title Application Receipt, processing happened on 15Dec with an effective date of 14Dec.
Comparing the tax/title/registration fees collected on the MVPA vs the itemized fees paid on the receipt, Tesla collected $8.50 more than they should have.
Historically, a dealership would mail me a check of any similar overpayment with a month of doing their financials. I'm curious if Tesla's auditing of December financials results in a similar refund check being mailed to me, mailed to the lienholder, or some other notification.

On 12Dec, sought additional 30 day temp plates. The chat used for delivery communications had been closed, so created a service ticket under "license plate" category.
On 13Dec, Service cancelled the ticket the next day and gave an 855 number to contact, which after 30 min on hold, eventually a PDF scan of a plate with 14Jan expiration was emailed.
On 18Dec, package containing license plates and sticker arrived from Tesla Austin.

Per the TXDMV Title Application Receipt, processing happened on 15Dec with an effective date of 14Dec.
Comparing the tax/title/registration fees collected on the MVPA vs the itemized fees paid on the receipt, Tesla collected $8.50 more than they should have.
Historically, a dealership would mail me a check of any similar overpayment with a month of doing their financials. I'm curious if Tesla's auditing of December financials results in a similar refund check being mailed to me, mailed to the lienholder, or some other notification.
Curious what your sticker/inspection period was. Registering locally I only got a 1 year sticker.

This was a major difference for leasing. When I leased my first Tesla Model 3 in early 2021, I had to pay the $2400 +/- sales tax and registration separate from the down payment of approx. $4500.

This time around in December 2023, I had the option to have the taxes and fees included in the finance. So it dropped the down payment from about $6800 (total) to $5800.

A welcome change. Interesting to find out it is such a recent development.

Each 30 day temporary tag is $29.75 and I had two (first 30 day and next 30 day tag on back of first in rear window). Tesla collected $332.50 for title and registration (I guess temporary tags are part of this); $7 for inspection and $74.50 for operating fee. I took delivery on 12/29/23. Glad they don't charge document fees but we have to pay $250 booking fee even for inventory vehicle.

Can you post break from your MVPA and title application receipt? TIA