Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sales tax calculated based on Tesla center location instead of my registration address

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per the title, Tesla showing initial estimates based on my home zip code but after ordering, purchase agreement showing sales tax based on their sales center location. Any suggestions? This is n Illinois where state has 6.25% tax with some counties adding additional tax which my county doesn’t have. Isn’t the calculation supposed to be based on registration address for buyer ?

This is state dependent… in CA it’s as you describe, tax is assessed based on your registration address, not the dealer’s address.

Not sure about the rules in IL.
Illinois is also same which is why I am wondering how I can get it fixed by Tesla.

Below is the text from the IL sales tax form which says the rate is based on what is entered in line 1 which is the purchasers information

Line 6: Multiply Line 5 by the tax rate. The tax rate is determined by the address provided in Step 1, Line 3. Use
6.25 percent (.0625) unless otherwise instructed.
• For Cook County, use 7.25 percent (.0725).
• For DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will counties, use 7.0 percent (.07).
• For Madison and St. Clair counties, use 6.5 percent (.065), except outside the Metro East Transit District, for
which use 6.25 percent (.0625).
• For an IRP-registered motor vehicle with a base jurisdiction other than Illinois that is used in Illinois, use 6.25
percent (.0625).
Lines 1 through 3: Enter the purchaser’s name and address exactly as it appears on the Illinois title or registration
application. This address must be the actual physical address of the party who will be using the item in Illinois. Do
not use a post office box number. If the motor vehicle is registered under the IRP with a base jurisdiction other than
Illinois, but the vehicle is used in Illinois and therefore you need to report use tax on it, enter the actual physical
address where the vehicle will be garaged in Illinois.

Until Tesla has a registration address, it is not uncommon for them to calculate fees based on the SC location. This should change when you pick up the car as they will need to prepare delivery documents and pay the fees to the appropriate county. Normally, of course.

Until Tesla has a registration address, it is not uncommon for them to calculate fees based on the SC location. This should change when you pick up the car as they will need to prepare delivery documents and pay the fees to the appropriate county. Normally, of course.
I already gave them my full details including the drivers license and they produced a purchase agreement based on which I am applying loan at my CU who will transfer the money to Tesla before delivery. I thought they would use the details I provided including license to calculate everything. What happens to the additional amount they will have, at the delivery time, due to the difference ?

Yes tax should be the county you live in.
Not where showroom is.. that's IL law..
I sent a message 4 days ago and today received a response that they are still looking into it and might have to delay my delivery tomorrow and for sure will release the VIN and put me in some sort of queue and make me run around for the price adjustments. No one else from Illinois faced this?

As per the title, Tesla showing initial estimates based on my home zip code but after ordering, purchase agreement showing sales tax based on their sales center location. Any suggestions? This is n Illinois where state has 6.25% tax with some counties adding additional tax which my county doesn’t have. Isn’t the calculation supposed to be based on registration address for buyer ?
This happened to me and at delivery it was fixed
In New York, sales tax is based on the registration address

Therefore Tesla NY fixes it

For others on this post I assume your was fixed at delivery also

Please comment

This happened to me and at delivery it was fixed
In New York, sales tax is based on the registration address

Therefore Tesla NY fixes it

For others on this post I assume your was fixed at delivery also

Please comment
Pickup team refused to do anything about this and just told irritatedly to reschedule the pickup and d al with finance team and doubt anything will change. Ended up picking it up as didn’t want to deal with them again for $300 difference. No willingness to help (forget doing their duty) at all. My car had only 55% charge when pickup with excuse of chargers not working and saying go to supercharger on the way home. The friendliness or customer care from everyone at the location seemed lackluster as if they are doing charity to me.

Pickup team refused to do anything about this and just told irritatedly to reschedule the pickup and d al with finance team and doubt anything will change. Ended up picking it up as didn’t want to deal with them again for $300 difference. No willingness to help (forget doing their duty) at all. My car had only 55% charge when pickup with excuse of chargers not working and saying go to supercharger on the way home. The friendliness or customer care from everyone at the location seemed lackluster as if they are doing charity to me.
What was the delivery location?
All of the NY centers are run very well
Our three deliveries went flawless

File a complaint with your state.