Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PSA - State Property Tax Overcharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got a supplemental property tax bill this week for the Model Y I purchased on 2/26/2023. I went in and asked to have them explain. They told me that the bill was for March through August 2023 since the car was not on the main tax bill I got in July 2023.

I expressed astonishment that I had to pay over $800 and she told me that the full year would be $1500. She said that was based on 70% of the manufacturer's suggested retail price.

That number seemed too high, so I asked her to calculate what 100% of the price would be and she told me it was $66,000. That was the price before the price drop and not what I paid for my car.

I looked it up and with the destination fee the "subtotal of taxable items" came to $54,630. That was what Tesla collected the state sales tax on.

Now I have to go back next week to beg the assessor to correct their mistake. The tax collector told me "well our book says the MSRP is $66,000."

If you live in a state that has a motor vehicle tax and purchased a Tesla right after the price cuts, I suggest you make sure that your town is using the correct MSRP.

Property or excise taxes are typically based on a published MSRP, not on what you paid for a vehicle or the vehicle's market value. In MA that value is set by the state, not a local assessor, and is, AFAIK, non-negotiable. Good luck with your discussion, but be prepared for disappointment.