Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NH owners being overcharged for registrations - check yours!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tga

Supporting Member
Apr 8, 2014
New Hampshire
Note to mods - Please don't merge this with the "Buying from New Hampshire" thread - I think this is important enough the it needs its own, attention grabbing thread title. Thanks!

As noted by @MSMSquad1 in this post and following, the Tesla pricing in the database that NH cities and towns use is well above actual MSRP. Currently they list the following base prices for 2023 models: 3 base MSRP, $47k; Y LR base MSRP, $66k, S base MSRP, $105k; X base MSRP, $120k.

NH property taxes (the "MOS/MILLS line on your registration) is calculated as a percentage of the original list price, starting at 1.8% of MSRP in year 1 and decreasing every year by 0.3% to 0.3% in years 6 and following.

If the MSRP on your registration is wrong, you will be overcharged for property taxes every year. Check yours - it's the third field on line three, starting with "LP NEW" (just left of the VIN field). When registering my new Y, the clerk corrected my MSRP ($66k down to $53k) when I showed them the window sticker, resulting in a savings of $234 in the first year.

If yours is wrong, hopefully you can get it corrected. I did not go back and look at prior years, but I know that the original list price on the registration for my 2014 S was (close to) correct. You may not get prior overpayments refunded, but at least it will stop future overcharging.