Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X deliveries with Intel-based MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great that it is now confirmed and not a day too late for this change. Looking forward to see a video of how it performs with the maps and general in the gui compared with MCU1

Now the question is of course if there are even more changes at the same go than Vanity mirrors and new MCU. Maybe new rear lights for Model S with the same modern tech like Model 3 and X have had since start? :p

Exciting but disappointing. It's unsettling that they can just make a major change like this without letting buyers know. Those that missed this by days have a right to be angry. Hoping they offer an upgrade.
I agree. Obviously everyone wants continued innovation but no one will be happy with paying the same as someone who ordered a few weeks later but getting a lesser product.

Reactions: viper2ko
So technically AMD64 are AMD created 64 bit instructions that Intel adopted because IA64 failed miserably. Once upon a time Intel figured that the move to 64bit would be a good place to break x86 compatibility. Others disagreed, and now here we are.
Here is what my car shows from whatsmyua. Autopilot 2.0, VIN 187XXX.

Comes up as undefined. So something is definitely changed...

BUT, Someone on Reddit pointed out the following: amd64 is just a name for x86-64 and does not necessarily mean AMD.

Thanks Erik

View attachment 286397

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
I think any vin around 2462XX and after are getting the new updates. My car was in production 11 days so I guess the change happened around that time. Below are my deets:
Ordered: 1/31/18
Confirmed: 2/4/18
Vin: 2/4/18
Production: 2/26/18
Finished Production : 3/10/18

Been sitting at the hub since :(

What additional options did you order? EAP, PUP, sunroof?

So technically AMD64 are AMD created 64 bit instructions that Intel adopted because IA64 failed miserably. Once upon a time Intel figured that the move to 64bit would be a good place to break x86 compatibility. Others disagreed, and now here we are.

That's not quite what happened. IA64 predates amd64 and was never meant to be a replacement for x86, it was more meant to compete with IBM POWER, replace Alpha and other big-iron supercomputer platforms back when supercomputers like that were considered to be the future of high-compute power.

After AMD invented AMD64, Intel's direct response was Intel "EM64T" which was largely the same instruction set but with different vector intrinsics paired with it. But they're otherwise largely compatible with each other. Unfortunately there were several generations where you really did want to compile differently for AMD K8 vs Intel's EM64T because the processors' microarchitectures were so different. For a while, mismatching (e.g. compiling for AMD64 on a Intel 64-bit Core 2 arch) would result in as much as a 10% slowdown in Python and MySQL workloads.

But yeah, amd64 and x86-64 are largely interchangeable terms. There was an earlier initiative to refer to the instruction set by one name and architecture by the other name, but that difference largely dissolved. The name amd64 kind of stuck since AMD first came out with the chip, and the Linux support started out as amd64 and renaming architectures is a pain.

(Of course Windows decided to make things even more confusing by adding the name x64 to the mix when they did their initial port...)

I agree. Obviously everyone wants continued innovation but no one will be happy with paying the same as someone who ordered a few weeks later but getting a lesser product.

Not singling you out in particular, but it'd be great if we can all stick to discussions of the new MCU (and related components) in this thread. If necessary we can make another thread to discuss Tesla's general approach to product updates (actually I'm pretty sure it's been discussed extensively already).

Thanks,

Bruce.
(dammit, only missed the new MCU by three years!)

I am sorry but I don't buy this.
In Teslas VIN does not mean all that much, because you can get your vin today and postpone it for half a year or whatever. There aer AP2 founder VINs for example...

Software version in itself does not mean much of course, but it contains the githash of the tip of the tree it was built from - and that does mean something.

No it doesn't.. there is no reason why 1 build can not be used for multiple hardware architectures

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not singling you out in particular, but it'd be great if we can all stick to discussions of the new MCU (and related components) in this thread. If necessary we can make another thread to discuss Tesla's general approach to product updates (actually I'm pretty sure it's been discussed extensively already).

Thanks,

Bruce.
(dammit, only missed the new MCU by three years!)

Lol, on a more serious note, I missed the new mcu by... 2 weeks! My model s was produced Feb 8th-10th 2018... Go figure, hope one can be retrofitted...

Reactions: scottrobertson