Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Wagon?

Model S "Touring"

• Excellent idea, would take it over Model S!

Votes: 112 50.5%
  • Great idea for a lot of buyers, but would still buy the sedan

Votes: 74 33.3%
  • Not a good idea.

Votes: 36 16.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, that really IS fu** ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

No surprise that the Europeans here seem to love it.

I think it's ugly compared to the Sedan but not as ugly as the Model X.

That is one of the times I am happy to be European ;-)

I think the Sedan is ugly compared to the Wagon - the rear end that is. The rest is the same anyway. Never liked the production version rear end of the S, found the prototype far nicer in that respect.

Model S Wagon.jpg

Wanted to make one in silver, with grey wheels, black leather and also black headliner, but unfortunately doesn’t have the necessary Photoshop skills. (Yet at least…)

Oh well, managed to remove the rails and the chrome strip under the doors and the color ended up as perhaps grey (?)… And since it’s just a picture it’s also got some sort of hidden factory option euro-spec hitch… :cool:

View attachment 12171

Wanted to make one in silver, with grey wheels, black leather and also black headliner, but unfortunately doesn’t have the necessary Photoshop skills. (Yet at least…)

Oh well, managed to remove the rails and the chrome strip under the doors and the color ended up as perhaps grey (?)… And since it’s just a picture it’s also got some sort of hidden factory option euro-spec hitch… :cool:

I would like it white pearl with black leather interior. I reported the post with quote because this pic is really nice.

As much as I think the Model S wagon looks good and will probably sell, Tesla needs to focus on what they have and where they are going. They are already being very aggressive with new designs. Tesla needs to get to the Gen III car as quick as possible. Anything delaying that car from being built should be shelved until after its debut. The exception is the already promised Model X.

As much as I think the Model S wagon looks good and will probably sell, Tesla needs to focus on what they have and where they are going. They are already being very aggressive with new designs. Tesla needs to get to the Gen III car as quick as possible. Anything delaying that car from being built should be shelved until after its debut. The exception is the already promised Model X.

I disagree 90%. The S and all variants built in its shared chassis should be under focus now in order to utilize economies of scale for that platform. The 10% I agree on is that Gen 3 should arrive ASAP, but they should not and will not sacrifice the ability to make large profit margin vehicles from a singular chassis.

I disagree 90%. The S and all variants built in its shared chassis should be under focus now in order to utilize economies of scale for that platform. The 10% I agree on is that Gen 3 should arrive ASAP, but they should not and will not sacrifice the ability to make large profit margin vehicles from a singular chassis.

Although I like the Model S wagon I don't want Elon prioritizing it over the Gen3 regardless of a singular chassis. I would be concerned a wagon model would cannibalize some Model S and X sales. He has stated many times that he wants to push the car industry to adopt EV's and that means getting the Gen3 to market. However, that being said if the Gen3 recent delay is primarily because Tesla is waiting on improved batteries then a wagon could make sense. I just don't see enough of a wow factor in a wagon.

Last edited:
I am not saying that I want a wagon brought to market. Infact, I don't think it will sell very well at all in the US. The fact is that iterations of the S chassis and "top hat" configuration will cost less to bring to market then the Gen 3 platform. These top hat cars will also contribute largely to the bottom line and bring The ability to produce Gen 3 in a sooner time frame. I want TESLA to make
Money. All of you should too. Trust me, I want Gen 3. I just want to first make sure TM is making money and is profitable. I do not want Gen 3 at the cost of TM financial health.

Trust me, I want Gen 3. I just want to first make sure TM is making money and is profitable. I do not want Gen 3 at the cost of TM financial health.

We are in agreement there. Tesla succeeding outweighs bringing a single car to market. By mid-2014 to 2015, Tesla should be a financially successful company. If they are still stuggling by that time then they have problems other than their market strategy.

I just don't see enough of a wow factor in a wagon.

Not in the US, true, but in other large markets like Europe, where wagons are far more popular than on your side of the Atlantic. Remember, of many premium models here, about 50% (with some models even more) of the cars sold are wagons!

- - - Updated - - -

I am not saying that I want a wagon brought to market. Infact, I don't think it will sell very well at all in the US.

As I said, think of other large markets as well. Wagons are very popular there. Some great models like the new Jaguar XF Sportbrake are just as elegant as the Model S, and with the 2.2 liter Diesel engine almost as economical fuel-wise (around 55 mpg combined, around 46 urban, 62 extra urban). And by the way, it costs about half as much here as a Model S. You can buy a lot of Diesel for 40k Euro! And of course when it comes to modern tech options (as well as standard equipment), the Model S in a straight comparison wouldn't stand a chance. Sorry to say, but many potential customers over here will feel that way.

Last edited: