Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First post... wish it was 100% positive one.
I have a 2012 P85 and love it. I experienced a tough week which started with my phone not connecting via Bluetooth. I then noticed my app wasn't able to communicate to the car and confirmed the vehicle wasn't connected via a Tesla rep. I went through the reboot process only to have my center screen go black and not come back to life. Took it so the SC and was told the MCU had to be replaced. Thankfully I have the Extended Service coverage and the work is under warranty. Only the component is said to take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to come in. The SC has been great as usual taking care of the situation. I for one am glad for the Extended coverage and best in class customer service.

First post... wish it was 100% positive one.
I have a 2012 P85 and love it. I experienced a tough week which started with my phone not connecting via Bluetooth. I then noticed my app wasn't able to communicate to the car and confirmed the vehicle wasn't connected via a Tesla rep. I went through the reboot process only to have my center screen go black and not come back to life. Took it so the SC and was told the MCU had to be replaced. Thankfully I have the Extended Service coverage and the work is under warranty. Only the component is said to take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to come in. The SC has been great as usual taking care of the situation. I for one am glad for the Extended coverage and best in class customer service.
I have basically the same car, one year newer, and I've been contemplating getting the extended warranty. I think I will. That sounds like it could've been expensive. ;)

I have basically the same car, one year newer, and I've been contemplating getting the extended warranty. I think I will. That sounds like it could've been expensive. ;)

They said it would be $3K if not for extended warranty... plus the MCU is showing 3-6 weeks to get in. The Tesla can still drive, but now controls or air conditioning... however the real problem was without the MCU to meter the charging, it only trickle charged at a fraction of the speed (4 hours for 2 miles of charge) which obviously was t going to work... So, the Extended provided a loaner that would have been a lengthy rental I would have had to invest in. Definitely a supporter of the Extended coverage!

Had a weird issue with the mirrors not unfolding today. Would be interested in ideas as to what it might be outside of a "software glitch." I had parked car while at the gym. When I returned, and after I got in the car, started it and was about to put it into reverse, I noticed that the mirrors had not unfolded. I rebooted both the MCU and the CID to no avail. I locked and unlocked the car - did not work. Then I exited the car, double clicked the fob to manually open the car, and sat down again. That cleared the issue and the mirrors unfolded. This has never happened before. Car is a little over 2 years old, an 85D. Running 32.6 ca28227. Thoughts?

PS I searched the forum and didn't find any other instances of this behavior noted.

I have become more stoic about folding mirrors over the life of many vehicles. They all break down eventually. I prefer to manually fold them when required and I disable the power folding circuit usually by cutting a wire. That was the case for our last BMW and I expect to have to do that same when the Tesla gets older. We have the same 85D as yours.

In your case, a warranty claim would be appropriate to at least log the issue.

I have become more stoic about folding mirrors over the life of many vehicles. They all break down eventually. I prefer to manually fold them when required and I disable the power folding circuit usually by cutting a wire. That was the case for our last BMW and I expect to have to do that same when the Tesla gets older. We have the same 85D as yours.

In your case, a warranty claim would be appropriate to at least log the issue.

Thanks for the info. It hasn't recurred so I will wait and see, and/or note it when I am in next for Service, which will likely be in about a month.

Thanks for the info. It hasn't recurred so I will wait and see, and/or note it when I am in next for Service, which will likely be in about a month.
I don't have mine set to auto fold, but when I move the car with the fob, in summon mode, they fold automatically. Later when I get in to start driving, they don't automatically unfold. It's a minor bug that doesn't really adversely affect my life.

2014 P85 with 55K miles and a DU that's milling all the way up to 65MPH now, as well as a minor clunk when shifting from regen to power... Going in to service next Friday to have them tell me I need a new drive unit. Otherwise, besides a random glitch in the passenger side mirror, I haven't had any trouble.

I'm not the original owner of the car, but as the previous owner had it governed to 80MPH, I expect that I drive much harder than he/she did and that it LIKELY has the original DU. I've put 8K miles of spirited driving on it in about 5 weeks, so I can't really say I'm surprised or upset.

2014 P85 with 55K miles and a DU that's milling all the way up to 65MPH now, as well as a minor clunk when shifting from regen to power... Going in to service next Friday to have them tell me I need a new drive unit. Otherwise, besides a random glitch in the passenger side mirror, I haven't had any trouble.

I'm not the original owner of the car, but as the previous owner had it governed to 80MPH, I expect that I drive much harder than he/she did and that it LIKELY has the original DU. I've put 8K miles of spirited driving on it in about 5 weeks, so I can't really say I'm surprised or upset.
How and why would someone govern it to 80?

How and why would someone govern it to 80?
Valet Mode... lots of reasons. To keep themselves out of trouble, or they allow a teen offspring to use the car occasionally... or it was accidental and they never noticed, forgot their Pin, etc.

Maybe they're so fancy they actually use a valet daily. The horror!

LESSON LEARNED:
I recently placed my jacket in the back seat of my Model S with my cell phone and keys in the pocket.
The car locked and and I was later unable to get back in.
The cell phone must have interfered with the key detection.

My error , this is not the first time the key detection issue has happened, and I hate to bother TESLA service with stuff like this.
What would have been nice if could have opened the door though MyTelsa account. I still had access to a computer or could have my wife do it for me. As it was she did have the TESLA app on her phone and signed in to unlock the car.
Might be time to replace the key battery as well.

Last edited:
Issue with water entry into rear taillight, on bootlid side. They will change the unit next week. I had this previously on the right side. Was told a seal had given way. My car, a September 2014 build, 44000 odd km, is now virtually new again. New MCU, new drive unit, new taillights, Unplugged performance front fascia to match facelift, new tyres, suspension and steering retorqued. Service in Sydney Australia has been great, but overall reliability, not so much. I always get a Tesla loaner so that is never an issue.

Issue with water entry into rear taillight, on bootlid side. They will change the unit next week. I had this previously on the right side. Was told a seal had given way. My car, a September 2014 build, 44000 odd km, is now virtually new again. New MCU, new drive unit, new taillights, Unplugged performance front fascia to match facelift, new tyres, suspension and steering retorqued. Service in Sydney Australia has been great, but overall reliability, not so much. I always get a Tesla loaner so that is never an issue.

Same vintage, built August 2014, surprisingly similar issues:
- water in hatch, tail light seal - so I got 2x new tail lights, new seals, and new chrome trim piece
- new MCU center stack (complete), the GPS stopped working, voice commands stopped working... I opted for LTE upgrade at that time
- new D/U... milling so replaced at around 45k km, no recurrence since

but also
- 4 x door handles serviced for presenting but pulling would not open, we think the cold weather makes wires brittle, they break when flexed
- HPWC charge handle HOT, got whole HPWC replaced under car warranty period (because purchased at same time with car)

..and a bunch of little niggly stuff with trim, squeaks, sunroof alignment / fail to open, etc... all easily addressed. I busted the hinges on the globebox by shutting it with a pen fallen into the gap along the bottom.. so I bodged something there that is still holding up well and you'd never know it was broken.

At 100,000 km front upper ball joint on passenger side sloppy, so I just replaced both front upper A-arms (myself!). For such a heavy car, I expect higher than average replacement of suspension parts. But the rest of it seems to be holding up, and no issues with air suspension system (knock on wood!).

Some people on the forum have access to Tesla manuals and can be very helpful with things like, torque values for bolt tightening...

And I notice other niggly stuff now.. but not worth calling... some LEDs around the charge port burned out / quit showing

New windshield $1000 all said and done... on my nickel.

Because I'm off warranty, and (gulp!) no extended chosen, I probably won't ever bother with minor niggly stuff that I can't fix myself, just "let it be". For example, if folding mirrors stop folding - I'm OK with them becoming fixed position mirrors and I'll pull the power to them. But I'm a handy guy and not afraid to roll up my sleeves to work on cars. And Tesla is willing to sell me parts. And they're not crazy priced parts, pretty reasonable as compared with other automakers.

If I had taken extended warranty, I'm now at 110k km so that's about 38% through it but I've spent nothing in this period that would have been covered by it.. so tucking those savings away for when something does go wrong or needs replacing (like the windshield). So far, car has never been not driveable... even with all its fixes and glitches and annoyances.. like D/U milling sounds. I drove 2000km to get that fixed at nearest SC (at the time) for an afternoon D/U swap.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Mark77a and JRP3
Anybody know if the car warns about fob battery being low (and needs replacement)... or does the car just start doing "key not detected", or wait until you find no proximity detection or button push operation working only from closer and closer distances?
The car does warn about it, but I don't know if it always does or if it's intermittent. The fob battery is always replaced at the annual service, so I've only seen the "low battery" warning once in 4.5 years.

You can call Tesla and ask them to govern the car, if you want to. I feel like the previous owner of my car may have been an older woman/gentleman that wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, and only ended up with a P85 due to a good price.

Could have also been that the CPO you bought was previously a Loaner car for Tesla? I used a Loaner a couple weeks back and it was governed to 80 MPH.