Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don't have to pre-cool to not hear the sound. Just start at a high setting and then gradually lower the temperature. This method has worked well for me over the past five summers. I think they did do the sound dampening on my car, but I'm not sure how much it helped because using the temperature method never created much noise anyway.

The other night my car was in the garage playing music and the heat was on. It was plugged in and was done charging. All of the doors were fully closed. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
Just an idea: Won't the heat come on if you have the new camping mode set (I suspect you'd remember if you had done that), or possibly if temps outside get cold enough the MS/Battery turn on heat to protect itself? Last winter when I didn't charge overnight, I know I've caught my cabin being fairly warm upon checking some early mornings when outside/garage temps are in the 40s, and similar in summer when it's 80's to 90's, my cabin seems to stay in the 70s to low 80s with occasional app spot-checking. Charging also generates residual cabin heat: As an example, it didn't get to 70 outside here yesterday, my HVAC was set to 68 when I parked in my garage around noon, my dual-charging ended about 1AM this morning, 4+ hours later it's now 54 in my garage, but my cabin temp is presently 71 -- so I suspect residual heat from the charge boosted the cabin temp and/or battery protection came on.

Music playing when the MS is supposedly off is an old problem most of us using USB have encountered, but I've not had or read of others encountering the "USB auto playing" problem since an update a number of months ago. OTOH, with my minimal recent usage of Slacker, upon occasion, tracks definitely continue play and/or advance to another track when I exit my MS if I don't remember to Pause first. It's really frustrating to some of us, but IMHO "auto play" is just one of the many reported MP bugs discussed elsewhere for years, that Tesla elects to ignore.

I took delivery of my new 75D on Saturday and today, after having parked it outside on the street for a couple of hours, I got the message "Air suspension requires service." Cold-related glitch or serious concern?

Salesman called just to check in, so I asked about the message. He checked with a technician and called right back, saying the bitter cold seemed to be causing these messages. I had got into the car (now in my garage) in the meantime and told him the message was gone. Seems to be the sensor expecting the compressor to be quicker inflating the suspension, i guess.

Bitter cold here again today. Despite being garaged, the car only partly "woke up". The main display didn't come on, and the air suspension message was back on the instrument panel. I figured the display would come on during my drive to work, but it didn't, and it wouldn't respond to the phone app. I had no backup camera, heat, or defogging. Now it's going to sit all day in the cold, and I suppose I'll have to drive home the same way.

Is there a way to "wake up" the display in this situation?

Bitter cold here again today. Despite being garaged, the car only partly "woke up". The main display didn't come on, and the air suspension message was back on the instrument panel. I figured the display would come on during my drive to work, but it didn't, and it wouldn't respond to the phone app. I had no backup camera, heat, or defogging. Now it's going to sit all day in the cold, and I suppose I'll have to drive home the same way.

Is there a way to "wake up" the display in this situation?

Reboot by holding in both scroll buttons on the steering wheel for about 10 seconds

• Love
Reactions: Tysto
I took delivery of my new 75D on Saturday and today, after having parked it outside on the street for a couple of hours, I got the message "Air suspension requires service." Cold-related glitch or serious concern?

I had that error on the whole trip I took from Chicago to Toronto on December 26th. It was extremely cold... -22F when I left the northwest suburbs. I was a little bit panicky because I was worried my car was going to drop to the ground and be undriveable. It would just beep when I tried to adjust the level on the touchscreen. Made the trip okay, and it started working properly the next day.

I have been told that if there is humidity/moisture in the air in the system, it can freeze like this when it is really cold.

• Love
Reactions: Tysto
I've had two weird glitches lately with my 2017 S100D.

The rear view camera intermittently fails. Usually when it fails it's just blank (black). One time it produced a weirdly colored and dithered view of the world. One time it showed a bright white rectangle. Shutting down the car or rebooting the touchscreen clears the problem, so it's probably the computer not the camera itself.

When the temperature is below -20C the car often produces a warning "parking assist unavailable". It annoying beeps every time I arrive at an intersection. Ironically, the parking sensors often continue to work. Sometimes the sensors do fail completely but I get no warning message about that. This only ever happens when the temperature is below -20C.

I haven't reported these to Tesla yet, because intermittent problems are really hard to diagnose, and I'm waiting to see if they get worse.

The rear view camera intermittently fails. Usually when it fails it's just blank (black). One time it produced a weirdly colored and dithered view of the world. One time it showed a bright white rectangle. Shutting down the car or rebooting the touchscreen clears the problem, so it's probably the computer not the camera itself.

Had the exact same problem on my 2013 S. Mine was intermittent too, but enough so to be annoying when I was trying to park. In my case, it turned out to be a defective camera which Tesla replaced under warranty.

Interesting... maybe these problems are one and the same.

To me it "seemed like" a loose cable connection to the camera, or some such thing, the way it would intermittently cut out... but Tesla just replaced the camera. Unfortunately it involves ripping off the chrome strip, but mine had been removed several times prior to deal with the backup light fogging issue, so when they replaced it, they gave me the new style with the raised TESLA lettering and no second white lens. Two birds with one stone.

Hi, hope you can help. Today the car sent me messages about all kinds of things like "abs needs service" "tire pressure needs service" "vehicle coolant is low". Driver light is not working but then appears and everything is fine. I read about the electric ground in frunk doing bizzare things so I went there and nothing! I cleaned everything but it didn't help.

Then I saw that the motor actuator plugged to the coolant in front was leaking. I have pics and two videos here. SC is 300 miles away and they say I don't have road assistance for these kind of troubles. https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwKSo7ry7WPJNwOj2

Last edited:
Hi, hope you can help. Today the car sent me messages about all kinds of things like "abs needs service" "tire pressure needs service" "vehicle coolant is low". Driver light is not working but then appears and everything is fine. I read about the electric ground in frunk doing bizzare things so I went there and nothing! I cleaned everything but it didn't help.

Then I saw that the motor actuator plugged to the coolant in front was leaking. I have pics and two videos here. SC is 300 miles away and they say I don't have road assistance for these kind of troubles. https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwKSo7ry7WPJNwOj2
Unsure if it will help the non-leak symptoms, but I would try a full reboot of your MS to at least attempt to rule out an odd firmware issue; Foot on brake, hold both scroll wheels down until Tesla T appears on the CID, release all 3. Sorry about your leak -- if that persists, you unfortunately have a road trip in your future to your closest SvC.