Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was common with early cars and the Gen 1 door handles. I had the problem myself. Tesla replaced all 4 handles with the new style and my problem is gone. Surprised to see it still cropping up on newer cars.
I'm worried about this as I still have all 4 Gen 1 handles on my early VIN and nearly at 50K miles. Never had any issues though so maybe I'm good?

By "opened" do you mean that it unlocked while moving and actually moved out and away from the door frame? If so, by how much?
On both occasions I had just stopped the car and put it into Park. The door popped open as if I had pulled the handle.... so a couple of inches I would say. I heard from service and they advise that since this only happened when the car was going into Park, that it would not happen when the car is in motion.

All 4 of my Gen 1 handles just got replaced a week ago. The handles themselves were not replaced just the mechanical parts. The rear passenger door handle was acting flaky. It started a few months ago when it would extend, but not allow me to open the door. The light would also not come on. A couple of days later it started working again and I had no problems for about a month and then it started again. The day before I took it in for the replacements, the handle decided to stay extended. Never had the spontaneous door opening problem.

I do like the feel of the newer handle mechanism.

Had my first significantly unsatisfactory SC experience last week. The car was scheduled to have the front DU replaced, the side window alignment fixed and one of the arm rest screws (which I gave them) put back. The seatbelt inspection was scheduled and I asked them to check the tire pressures (which the car reported as 42 all around). They had the car for 3 days. While I had the loaner (a new 90D) I called and asked them to check the rear camera (the 90D camera looked like HD) to see if it was out of focus/working properly. They called on day 2 to say that they were checking the oil level in the DU, it was low, and the noise was now much lower. On day 3 when I picked up the car I found that 1. the front DU noise was now louder than before, 2. the armrest was not fixed, 3. the tires were now at 41 psi, 4. the windows were not aligned properly and 5. the battery was down to 106 miles (I dropped it off at 192). I am not sure what they actually did to the car, but it is NOT fixed. I am really disappointed and not sure where to escalate this to. This visit to the SC was, in my opinion, a total FAIL on Teslas part.

Just under 10K miles on car.

Had my first significantly unsatisfactory SC experience last week. The car was scheduled to have the front DU replaced, the side window alignment fixed and one of the arm rest screws (which I gave them) put back. The seatbelt inspection was scheduled and I asked them to check the tire pressures (which the car reported as 42 all around). They had the car for 3 days. While I had the loaner (a new 90D) I called and asked them to check the rear camera (the 90D camera looked like HD) to see if it was out of focus/working properly. They called on day 2 to say that they were checking the oil level in the DU, it was low, and the noise was now much lower. On day 3 when I picked up the car I found that 1. the front DU noise was now louder than before, 2. the armrest was not fixed, 3. the tires were now at 41 psi, 4. the windows were not aligned properly and 5. the battery was down to 106 miles (I dropped it off at 192). I am not sure what they actually did to the car, but it is NOT fixed. I am really disappointed and not sure where to escalate this to. This visit to the SC was, in my opinion, a total FAIL on Teslas part.

Just under 10K miles on car.

Sorry about the problems... Not a good experience, i agree. If you noticed these things before driving away, did you go back in and question someone? If you noticed them on your way home or once you arrived, did you call the SC and report the failures, or ask for the Service Mgr? ...or of you're just totally disgusted and prefer not to first deal with your local SC Mgr (which you'll eventually have to unless you are willing to drive to another SC), have you called National Customer Service? I suggest those are likely the best paths to proceed before writing a letter to Elon. Good luck.

The SC called tonight to follow up. They are going the check again with engineering back at Tesla and they offered to come pick up the car tomorrow to fix the arm rest. I do appreciate the followup. The staff has always been great. I'll wait for the follow up.

Sorry about the problems... Not a good experience, i agree. If you noticed these things before driving away, did you go back in and question someone? If you noticed them on your way home or once you arrived, did you call the SC and report the failures, or ask for the Service Mgr? ...or of you're just totally disgusted and prefer not to first deal with your local SC Mgr (which you'll eventually have to unless you are willing to drive to another SC), have you called National Customer Service? I suggest those are likely the best paths to proceed before writing a letter to Elon. Good luck.

Twice now I got in the car, turned it on by switching into 'R' and as I roll backwards down the driveway, I notice that a window has opened about 4in / 10cm. At least the second time around I am 100% sure that the window was closed when the car was in the driveway (because it was 32F/0C outside and I had pre-heated the car to a comfy 64F/17C - that wouldn't have happened this quickly with an open window).
The last three days I carefully checked the windows before starting the car and of course it hasn't happened since...
Might be random user stupidity. Not sure, yet.

About 3 or 4 times a week, my left knee will bump the switch for the rear passenger window and either drop it a couple of inches, or all the way if I bump the switch hard enough. At first I was sure there was some "firmware bug" causing this.

Very possible but I also had a bug once where a window would roll down the ~1cm when opening the door, then would not return to original position when closing the door. Then opening and closing the door multiple time would leave the window multiple cm down. I was actually able to get it down all the way. I just had to roll it all the way up then down then up again and it "solved" the issue.

I'd like to note that I had the exact same issue a couple time with my former bmw (coupe with frame-less window).

Twice now I got in the car, turned it on by switching into 'R' and as I roll backwards down the driveway, I notice that a window has opened about 4in / 10cm. At least the second time around I am 100% sure that the window was closed when the car was in the driveway (because it was 32F/0C outside and I had pre-heated the car to a comfy 64F/17C - that wouldn't have happened this quickly with an open window).
The last three days I carefully checked the windows before starting the car and of course it hasn't happened since...
Might be random user stupidity. Not sure, yet.

Was it the right rear window? This happens to me all the damn time. It's my knee bumping the down button for that window when I go to swivel my body around to look back. I'm tempted to make some sort of a control guard that prevents this, it's super annoying!

--- updated ---

LOL, I just saw MKnox's knee does the same thing!

Was it the right rear window? This happens to me all the damn time. It's my knee bumping the down button for that window when I go to swivel my body around to look back. I'm tempted to make some sort of a control guard that prevents this, it's super annoying!

--- updated ---

LOL, I just saw MKnox's knee does the same thing!

OK, will check for a firmware upgrade for my left knee...

I had a problem once where if I was wearing all synthetic clothing, like gym clothes, when it was really cold and dry out I would generate a huge static charge while sitting driving. When I'd get out and touch the door handle I'd discharge a significant shock into the door handle which would activate the window and roll it down a bit.

This was on my 2013 Model S. I since learned to not wear all synthetic clothing in winter and haven't experimented on my newer Model S, but this could also be a cause of mystery window roll down.

I had a problem once where if I was wearing all synthetic clothing, like gym clothes, when it was really cold and dry out I would generate a huge static charge while sitting driving. When I'd get out and touch the door handle I'd discharge a significant shock into the door handle which would activate the window and roll it down a bit.

This was on my 2013 Model S. I since learned to not wear all synthetic clothing in winter and haven't experimented on my newer Model S, but this could also be a cause of mystery window roll down.

Interesting, that does sort of tie into my experience of it happening only in the winter. However, I only wear cotton clothing and my seats are textile, and it was reversing without my hand/arm near the switch. I also don't recall experiencing static discharge when touching any part of my car.

In my case, I suspect the reason it only happens when it's cold is because whatever is causing the resistance is affected by the temperature. Rubber, which is stiffer when cold, comes to mind as a possible cause.

I got a call from service about this yesterday and the pickup is scheduled for Monday. I bundled in some other things for them to check out, in particular my still-unresolved sunroof issue, which is why it needs to go to the service center (the last ranger who tried fixing it told me it needed to go into service to have the rear glass moved back).

I've never experienced the shock, but wiping the dash with a microfiber cloth can change values on the 17" display. Every instance I've had of the windows rolling down can be attributed to knee position--at least after they took the all windows down by pressing the fob. I had that happen a few times in pouring rain and it's no fun because a second press doesn't roll them up again. It's one feature I'm thankful they removed.

...but wiping the dash with a microfiber cloth can change values on the 17" display.

In the Display settings, there is a "Clean Mode" that turns the screen black to allow for cleaning. In order to return from clean mode, you have to hold a button down for three seconds. Very handy feature for wiping down a dirty screen. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I was able to capture a video of what I'm calling a malfunctioning parking sensor tonight -- and there is a possibility that it was causing false lane departure warnings as well.

Anyway, I have an email out to the local service center to see if they can schedule me for a fix. Again, the sensor is completely free and clear from any debris.

I wanted to follow up with this. My service center installed a whole new set of front sensors (6) for me and they are all working perfectly. Kudos to Tesla for fixing this problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never experienced the shock, but wiping the dash with a microfiber cloth can change values on the 17" display.

I have a portable battery pack and solar panels that I put on the dash when parked outside during the day and I've experienced similar behavior when the USB cable touches the screen while taking the panels down. I don't think it's static in this case, but it does seem to trigger actions that aren't very near where the cable touches. I've noticed that USB cables will cause touches on other touchscreens (phones, tablets) as well.

I've never experienced the shock, but wiping the dash with a microfiber cloth can change values on the 17" display.

I'm the opposite. I regularly get "zapped" by the car getting out (same with my other cars too), but never had a single problem cleaning the dash or displays with microfiber cloths. In fact, I don't even bother with the "Cleaning Mode" they added.

I'm the opposite. I regularly get "zapped" by the car getting out (same with my other cars too), but never had a single problem cleaning the dash or displays with microfiber cloths. In fact, I don't even bother with the "Cleaning Mode" they added.
I've never had a problem with cleaning the display. It's wiping the top of the dash that will sometimes cause the problem. Doesn't happen all the time and I understand there is fix but I haven't bothered to do anything about it.

I've never had a problem with cleaning the display. It's wiping the top of the dash that will sometimes cause the problem. Doesn't happen all the time and I understand there is fix but I haven't bothered to do anything about it.

No problem (for me) with the top of the dash either. Depending on where/when I use either a microfiber cloth, a Swiffer brush or (my favorite) a California Duster.