Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New question:

Anyone know if it is normal for your seat heater to turn on when you turn on the winshield *hot* defrost/defogging feature? I always notice the seat warming up as if I'd also pressed the icon on the screen for the seat warmer, but no, I press the defrost button for HEAT, and it starts right away, but then the seat warms up --- and the seat warmer icon is *not* lit on the screen.

Bug, or feature?

New question:

Anyone know if it is normal for your seat heater to turn on when you turn on the winshield *hot* defrost/defogging feature? I always notice the seat warming up as if I'd also pressed the icon on the screen for the seat warmer, but no, I press the defrost button for HEAT, and it starts right away, but then the seat warms up --- and the seat warmer icon is *not* lit on the screen.

Bug, or feature?

Mine doesn't do that, so I call it a bug.

Yesterday out of the blue after I had parked at a friends place for a few hours came back to the rear view camera being unavailable. Tried 17" reboot, tried today calling roadside assistance and they couldn't figure out what this is either, tried another 17" restart and a whole car off, wait 3 minutes, start thing. Still no camera. Now they send it to engineering to think.

IMG_5610.jpg

has anyone seen anything similar, what was the outcome? Crap is that I have no service centers within 500+ km ...

Power to the camera, or feed from the camera, could be lost. Is there a fuse for the camera?

Well Tesla have checked the logs etc and they conclude it's a hardware issue. Either a cable, the socket, the camera or MCU. This will require service center visit (closest is 800+km) so we're planning a ranger visit where I organize working environment for the ranger.

Ranger visited today. The diagnostics ended up taking hours as the camera decided to star working the moment he reconnected it after trying the new camera (the camera didn't work initially and he did try to squeeze the cable in all directions etc to make it work, didn't help). Ended up diagnosing that the cable running from the camera cable (which is ca 10 inches long) to the roof connectors at the rear left (so the cable running the length of the trunk hatch) was at fault. It was supposed to give off pulsating 12v, but was giving various voltages, all far below 12v. Swapping the cable to a new one gave proper voltages. Just in case the ranger swapped the camera too as I live too far to risk it being also a fault of the camera.

He also took care of a service bulletin requiring new washers on front suspensions and retorquing all suspensions washers. We had a look at the windscreen fogging and there might be a slight misalignment of the door that allows possibly some air to leak into the front triangle region. We used randomly available insulation material to add some layers there as a temporary fix while he discusses with engineering as it seems the doors aren't adjustable. Will see at next highway speed drive if the new insulation helps or not.

He also took care of a service bulletin requiring new washers on front suspensions and retorquing all suspensions washers.

Some assistance please. This is the problem which caused severe corrosion, right? So it's very important to fix in salty climates.

I'm looking at my service record for the work done on 14 November.

Is this different from, or the same as, "Front Bumper Carrier Bolt Replacement", which seemed to involve a washer replacement?

Some assistance please. This is the problem which caused severe corrosion, right? So it's very important to fix in salty climates.

I'm looking at my service record for the work done on 14 November.

Is this different from, or the same as, "Front Bumper Carrier Bolt Replacement", which seemed to involve a washer replacement?

To be hones I have no clue. The two washers were at the bottom of the wheel assembly (below suspensions, brakes etc) so he had to remove the wheels to remove and replace them. Somehow doubt those are in any way related to front bumper though as they really were at the bottom of the air suspensions (the washer is the lowest point going below even the brake disk etc if I remember right).

After trekking home through the snow on Tuesday, the wheel wells were pretty impacted with snow. Last night I went out to my garage and they were still impacted pretty heavily. I lightly tapped off all this impacted snow, but today when I went to drive in to work the car shudders pretty hard > 60mph and really really hard > 70mph. I am wondering whether or not the suspension was damaged by the impacted snow or if my alignment was seriously knocked out of whack. I drove it home instead of driving 100 miles to work. Need to call service...

IMG_2712.JPG

This is normal :) With that kind of snow that gets iced over the balance of the wheels is off. This is hardly felt up to ca 70-80km/h (ca 40mph?), but above that the bigger the wheels (and 19" is really already quite big) the vibration will start to be felt. Going above the level where you start to feel the vibration is not a good idea as you might damage it from the constant vibration. I remember when I went to an ice track with my Evo X a couple of years ago I had the wheels full of packed snow and it froze overnight. When I drove the next day I had to drive 200km at 70km/h because I couldn't go above due to vibrations. The easy fix (unless you lost some balancing weights driving in that snow) is to take the car to some warm garage for the day and let the snow/ice melt. Going to carwash will get it mostly out too, but might end up being a temporary trick as said water at real cold might not be a good idea unless you can let the car dry in a warm place.

After trekking home through the snow on Tuesday, the wheel wells were pretty impacted with snow. Last night I went out to my garage and they were still impacted pretty heavily. I lightly tapped off all this impacted snow, but today when I went to drive in to work the car shudders pretty hard > 60mph and really really hard > 70mph. I am wondering whether or not the suspension was damaged by the impacted snow or if my alignment was seriously knocked out of whack. I drove it home instead of driving 100 miles to work. Need to call service...

View attachment 41728

Just go to a do it yourself car wash and blast the snow and ice off the wheels with the power washer and all should be good.

Got My S60 on Monday. Going into the shop Tuesday for the following:

1. Audio Cutting In and Out Repeatedly on FM/XM/Internet/Etc
  2. Passenger Side Mirror Not returning to position after reversing
  3. Passenger Side Mirror Not having full range of motion
  4. High Pitch Whine During Heavy Acceleration (Wasn't doing this previous to today)
  5. Moisture Behind/Inside Headlights

AM/FM receiver in the MS sucks. AT&T in NJ sucks. You're kind screwed here. I pair it through my 4G LTE hotspot for internet and internet radio.

sounds like cold weather issue with the electronic folding side mirrors. I've seen quite a few posts from people having issues in the cold here. I guess Tesla's design/implementation was sub-par here. You're probably going to have to wait for them to issue a TSB of some sort. I'm assuming its a design flaw.

4. High Pitch Whine During Heavy Acceleration (Wasn't doing this previous to today)

everyone has this. it is a "normal" sound.

there is a TSB they will apply to fix this.

AM/FM receiver in the MS sucks. AT&T in NJ sucks. You're kind screwed here. I pair it through my 4G LTE hotspot for internet and internet radio.
Interesting on the AM/FM. The internet radio has been awesome for me. I should have been more specific. When playing any audio source; the sub, all the of the left channel, and a number of right speakers cut out with only a couple right speakers still playing. Definitely a connection/grounding/something problem.

sounds like cold weather issue with the electronic folding side mirrors. I've seen quite a few posts from people having issues in the cold here. I guess Tesla's design/implementation was sub-par here. You're probably going to have to wait for them to issue a TSB of some sort. I'm assuming its a design flaw.
Yeah the left hand mirror works great, but the right one has been like this since I picked up the car. I hope the mind the XPEL wrap I just had done to the mirrors.

everyone has this. it is a "normal" sound.
Odd that I wasn't hearing this since I got the car, and it's doing it today all of the sudden. It's going in for service because of the above, so I guess they will check it out.

there is a TSB they will apply to fix this.
Again, I hope they mind the XPEL wrap I just had done to the headlights.

Got My S60 on Monday. Going into the shop Tuesday for the following:

1. Audio cutting out on Slacker and other streamed sources is normal and depends heavily on the quality of your 3G internet connection. FM cutouts are related to HD radio stream and weak signal - I'm betting that you listen to HD radio. These are not defects, but normal behaviors depending upon your signal strength.
  2. Mirrors remember two settings - normal position and tilted position. Put the car in Park and adjust your mirrors for normal driving. Save to your driver profile. While pressing the brake pedal, put the car into reverse. Now adjust the mirrors how you would like them in the tilted position. The settings are automagically saved.
  3. Stumped
  4. This is normal per Tesla and not something they are going to address. Not a defect or issue, just one of those peculiarities of having an electric motor.
  5. Not normal and should just need to be resealed

- - - Updated - - -

I just saw your clarification above, please disregard.

I'm the guy with the bad corrosion; they had to replace my carrier. As I recall, the service bulletin originally only called for changing the washers. But my service center told me that the bolts had also been modified, and they put the modified bolts in my car regardless of what the bulletin said. It's possible that they have subsequently changed the service bulletin to include the bolts.