Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could be hitting the window controls with their knee, too. And I'm 6'6" and all knees and elbows! :)

Yeah, I couldn't understand this either. And then I did it once (but only once!). All you need is a knobby knee and the bone on the outside left of your knee can press down on top of the armrest. I don't usually drive in that posture, which is why it has only happened once.

I'm having a hard time understanding how anyone could be hitting the window controls with their knee, too. And I'm 6'6" and all knees and elbows! :)

Do you not keep your left foot on the dead peddle when driving? Or does this happen on entry or exit?

When seat is all the way back (I'm 6' 5"), and drive is longish, the left knee happens to hit on the rear passenger window switch precisely. Happens several times per drive. Thinking of adding a knee rest or some such that blocks the knee from the switch.

Interesting to see here that I'm not the only one having this problem. I've also found that tweaking my seat adjustment helps a little. But I really think that short of a door redesign (which is unrealistic for our current version) it really shouldn't be a big deal for Tesla to offer the option to have the rear seat window disable button apply to only rear seat passengers or both front/rear. That would solve the problem for me. If I then want either rear or front passengers to lower a rear window I could just toggle disable button to once again enable them.

Ditto - this happens to me routinely - based on how I sit, I can actually hit the front or rear windows. I would love an option to disable it.

:)

6' here...

On long drives I go from extending my left leg to pulling my foot upright against the seat and dropping my knee to the left to rest against the door....and therein lies the problem...

5' 8" here and happens all the time. Most often when I pull my leg back and let my leg rest against the door as Tim mentioned.
It just seems to be a natural and unconscious move. My leg has a mind of its own!
For me I think the problem is that I'm shorter and it's very uncomfortable to stretch my leg out for very long to let my left foot rest on the dead pedal.
Wouldn't be a problem at all if the door weren't sloped downward where the buttons are.
I'd also like the option to temporarily disable the buttons.

I'm 5'10" with long legs. On my 5540 mile trip May - June I hit the window controls at least a dozen times. On the long trip with cruise control on, I would move all over all the time. Suddenly there would be a loud noise and my wife would shout, "Why did you open the window?" I figure all it would take to fix it is recessed control buttons or a ledge next to them to keep my knobby knees from hitting them.

Do you not keep your left foot on the dead peddle when driving? Or does this happen on entry or exit?

I suspect it happens to people who sit like I do: I have my left leg bent with my left foot flat on the floor, so my knee sticks up, then I tend to lean it on the door where the window controls are. In my case the front right window went down "by itself", and then I realized my knee was resting on the switch.

Last edited: