Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Holder Demographics: Age

How old are you?

• < 25

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 25 - 34

Votes: 53 21.9%
  • 35 - 44

Votes: 86 35.5%
  • 45 - 54

Votes: 57 23.6%
  • 55 - 64

Votes: 29 12.0%
  • 65 +

Votes: 11 4.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, I didn't say I was envious of the hard work and crap you put up with. :biggrin:

Likewise, some of my fiends and clients are envious of my low cost health care and monthly retirement check, but they certainly don't want to spend 20 years in the active military to earn them. The important thing to do is make your choices with eyes wide open and with full understanding of the ramifications of those decisions.

If you do something brilliant and earned it so early in life (vs. being given it by being born wealthy) then all the more power to you, but frankly, it's hard to be sympathetic about the work conditions for someone who has a Roadster _and_ a Sig reservation by age 21. I'm sure there are a ton of people with exceptionally horrible jobs that wish they could afford those cars.

Eh, I dunno. I learned early on that money isn't everything. I've walked away from some crazy things that would have made me unhappy, but brought in a lot of cash. So I can see someone being stressed or unhappy, but having piles of cash. Agree on the trust fund thing though. There's no jealousy in me towards those types of people, but I just feel like being in situations like that is usually a detriment to the character of the person. You'll never truly appreciate something you didn't have to work for.

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised at the high percentage of < 45yo. Nearly 60%!

Of course it could be selection bias. That age group might be more likely to be hanging out on Internet forums answering non-scientific demographic surveys.

Back on topic, I'm a bit surprised at the high percentage of < 45yo. Nearly 60%!

Of course it could be selection bias. That age group might be more likely to be hanging out on Internet forums answering non-scientific demographic surveys.
I've heard the 40's tend to be your best years as an income earner, so the bulk of the responses being around that would make sense. You've typically hit near or at your peak pay in many careers so you've got a decent income and a ways until retirement, so it's the time where you consider major expenses. Younger and you often can't afford it, older and you may not feel you'll be working long enough (or secure enough given age discrimination) to deal with a big unplanned expense like a Model S.

I was surprised by the number of younger buyers as well. I think the forum use point is a valid one. I also agree with the income rationalization. A third factor could be that younger people are more willing to embrace newer technology. I'm 37 and hold Sig reservation #868. To me, the Model S represents cutting edge technology in a drivable format. An iPad with wheels, so to speak.

A while ago, I decided that my next car wouldn't be based on ICE technology that is fundamentally 100 years old. Given the rapid increase in technology over the last 50 years or so, it amazes me that 99.9% of cars still power themselves with an ICE. At some point, the ICE will be as dead as the Betamax. I'm doing my part to accelerate that demise by being an early adopter of the ICE's replacement.

I am not sure if this is correct, but a limit of 10 should allow splitting <25, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-69, 70+

Perhaps, but the total counts are small enough that I doubt we'd get any more information.

Curiously, it looks rather like a bell curve (normal Gaussian distribution), with a mean of 40 years and standard deviation around 10.

When I turned 40 this year I told my wife that I wanted a luxury car. Originally I was looking at an Mercedes E or BMW 550, or because we have always been a Honda/Acura house, an Acura RL. What finally got me on the Model S was the rear kids seats (we have 4 kids under 7).
I am really hoping that I get my Model S before I turn 42 (Feb 2013) because my reservation # is 5748.