Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not hear or read that, could be so.

If so - how did the LR lose 350 pounds?

"could be so" lol.. Elon confirmed in the earnings call, so it is so.

Weight loss is probably from redesigned pack, lighter motors from the 3, and energy density improvements in the cell itself.

And by the way, it's 250 lbs loss, not 350.

Old LR+ weight = 4815 lbs
New LR weight = 4561 lbs

Regarding the view out the windshield on the new S : I'm guessing that the windshield is same size, but the dash is a couple inches lower now compared to 2020 S. So therefore a better and more expansive view. Anyone else agree?

I've driven the S and the 3 back to back on same roads several times recently, and the S has a smaller view out the front windshield. Maybe that's improved now? This is a major improvement in my opinion, if true.

Regarding the view out the windshield on the new S : I'm guessing that the windshield is same size, but the dash is a couple inches lower now compared to 2020 S. So therefore a better and more expansive view. Anyone else agree?

I've driven the S and the 3 back to back on same roads several times recently, and the S has a smaller view out the front windshield. Maybe that's improved now? This is a major improvement in my opinion, if true.

This also has to do with how far back one sites in the S compared to the 3.
I’ve owned both and still have daily access to an S even though the 3 is my main car.
I like how sitting further forward in the 3 gives a wider angle view out the windshield.

I discussed this with the Tesla rep when I made my reservation in early December. He told me that reserving then would protect me from 'any price increase if there is a refresh'. In fact that was a selling point. I mentioned it here in the forums at the time. Looks like he saved me $11k.

Update : Like the others , Tesla reached out to me by phone to update my order.

The new deal is we have a price increase but get a $2000 discount and first priority on delivery.

I opted to change my interior color to White.

Delivery was originally Feb 14 - Mar 14, and is now “late February to early March”.

Last edited:
Tesla isn't the first to move the turn signals to the wheel and go "stalkless"...
ferrari-458-interior.jpg
So, what car is that, and how are the turn signals actuated?

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne
FYI, there was an image accessible on Tesla's site last night showing a regular steering wheel but it's no longer accessible today.
Esyk-20UYAAiwHJ

Too bad.
Meanwhile, I only just now realized that there is no longer a way to get a white headliner. All three upholstery options have a black headliner in the images. I seem to recall that the cream upholstery had been supplied with a light-colored headliner (which I would prefer). So, another blow to our ability to get what we'd prefer....

My guess would be no, your plaid reservation would just translate directly to the plaid configuration now. But my fingers are crossed for you.

Just checked my reservation this morning, and it does look like they've changed my order to Plaid+, and pricing remains at 149,490 (implying 8k FSD) as when I ordered.
upload_2021-1-28_16-16-6.png

Same car built now would be 151,990:
upload_2021-1-28_16-16-18.png

I'm scratching my head as to where the other $500 difference is from. Was Plaid only 139,490 when I first ordered? Or maybe the white interior was only a $1500 upgrade?
Edit: removed my RN in case that's meaningful...

Ppl here seem more negative to new tech than my parents, and they are 60...
It may be worth making the distinction between new tech and new Tesla tech. People here have experienced new Tesla tech before, so perhaps their skepticism is not unjustified.

Tesla has a habit of trying new things out on customers, but if they don't work out, customers are left holding the bag (for which they paid too). The lessons are used for new products however, so if you can buy a new Tesla every couple of years, it's not too bad, but if you plan to drive it longer, new Tesla tech may not be as appealing.

Reactions: 5JMJ and electricar
Status
Not open for further replies.