Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So excited for the plaid S. What an unusual announcement by Elon. Would think that it would Osborne S sales for a year now. Certainly made me hold off cause I’ve been waiting for an upgrade, was hoping it would be sooner than a year from now.
It hopefully won't Osborne the S because of the expectation (whether true or not) that it will be a significantly higher priced variant. It does seem doubtful that the mainstream S will have three motors with the cost that entails. Also, I wonder whether they plan to ship it sooner, so their saying it's a year away is meant to avoid Osborning the S. Earlier this year there were rumors of an update to the S discussed in the "Model S range and interior update imminent" thread where the rumored date ended up being shifted to early next year. Perhaps that's the time frame for the high-performance introduction, although rumors of an update have admittedly been pretty scarce lately.

Thinking about badges......for those who like them.....
The numbers are gone, since it's now just Long Range and Performance.
Also all the S and X cars are dual motor, so the D is redundant.

So you could have:

LR
PR
and PA for the Plaid option (PL would suggest Ludicrous)
LR long range

PR public relations
PA public asset
PL public liability

• Funny
Reactions: malcolm
Thinking about badges......for those who like them.....

The numbers are gone, since it's now just Long Range and Performance.

Also all the S and X cars are dual motor, so the D is redundant.

So you could have:

LR
PR
and PA for the Plaid option (PL would suggest Ludicrous)

Or just de-badge and let the exterior styling changes speak for themselves.

My bet is: Triple Motor

The only interior trim option for the M3-inspired refresh dash will be a "tasteful" plaid design and plaid carpet...

• Funny
Reactions: sillydriver
When the S goes “plaid”, the triple motor car will assume the top spot. The current dual motor performance will become the mid level car. I wonder if there will be a price decrease. I could be awfully happy with a mid level L.

Hmmm, Now I wonder if I could swap out my leather/carbon fiber interior for whatever comes in my new wicked fast car. I am partial to the leather. Or there’s always aftermarket leather. Anyone put aftermarket black leather in a new S?

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
I wonder if there will be a price decrease. I could be awfully happy with a mid level L.

My money’s on them keeping the lineup as it is, same or similar pricing, and adding the Plaid on at the top spot. Sliding into the same spot the P100DL used to be, around 140-150K. That price is just a guess on my part as Elon said “more expensive than current, but less than our competitors”. It could obviously swing by $25K or more.

How about some ultra capacitors for higher performance? Extra current for faster acceleration without the need for more battery capacity. Higher recharge current than the battery alone for stronger regenerative braking force from the motors.

In the real world, a car with 3 motors would give better handling in slippery and snowy conditions. In cold climates, ultra capacitors would provide consistent regenerative braking and extend range by capturing power that is currently lost to conventional friction brakes.

Here is why the third row will be for bigger people, see pic. With 5:1 ratio motors can be closer to driveshafts and therefore ahead of the driveshafts--> lower floor under third seat.
upload_2019-9-23_22-53-47.png

• Informative
Reactions: Krash and voltage
The only problem i see with 3 motors is the torque distribution.
IF the distribution is not perfect, you will have the car pull to whatever direction the torque is lacking on.

Well knowing tesla they will probably have an update for it after we get fart machine ver.2
Or maybe they will throw a video game with understeer on it, so you train yourself for it.
(sarcasm)

No but seriously, 3 motors in a raw 0-60 take off will be very difficult to pull off without torque steer.
Even the some of the Ravens-L are plagued with it by just changing the front motor from an induction motor to a Perm, and this is off a dual motor platform.

It's been a while since I logged on to TMC. Looking forward to MS-P. Would love to see more pictures. Here's what I've seen so far...

models-plaid-wing-s01-kgp-1571861134.jpg

models-plaid-frsplit-s08-kgp-1571861133.jpg

Not a big fan of this humongous diffuser...

models-plaid-wing-s06-kgp-1571861136.jpg

Don't like that wing...

And my favorite shot... keep it a sleeper:
models-plaid-frsplit-s01-kgp-1571861133.jpg
That last photo is also my favorite. Although I am a fan of the rear diffuser.

also the model s is far from a sleeper. Anyone who knows tesla knows one thing, it accelerates quick.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Technical discussion from the Investor thread continued here:

Now why would Tesla take the SRPM out of the front of the current Raven and replace it with a less efficient AC motor? Then need to continue to produce 2 separate motors?

Not going to happen.

Because of the need for the better rotor cooling, smaller packaging, and better efficiency of the two rear motors? Front can get the AC induction from the existing Model 3.

Probably going to happen.

Or they just go with 3 PMSRM's all around and don't worry about being able to idle a motor at all.

Because of the need for the better rotor cooling, smaller packaging, and better efficiency of the two rear motors?
AC induction motors have WORSE cooling due to copper coils, are larger than SRPMs (worse torque density), and have about 10% lower efflicency than SRPMs.

Where are you getting your "facts"? SRPMs need no rotor cooling and do not heat up because they have no copper coils, they are a simple steel laminate. The heat is in the stator on the outside of the motor case where there is easy access for cooling.

Front can get the AC induction from the existing Model 3.
Why would they change the existing PAID FOR Raven design and existing production system to make a worse performing product? Talk about a waste of time and effort.

Probably going to happen.
You forgot the /S.

Or they just go with 3 PMSRM's all around and don't worry about being able to idle a motor at all.
That was never an issue. There is no need to torque sleep (there is no "idle") the SRPM motors, because it is already the most efficient motor on the car. There is only a benefit to putting a less efficient motor into torque sleep (ie: the large rear AC induction motors in existing S/X).

Reactions: Krash