Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Battery Details, sourced from EPA Docs, Vehicle Observations, & Supercharging/Charging data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just read this line from one of the EPA docs linked below:

Model S comes with one on‐board charger that is capable of a maximum of 72A

Is that really true?? I thought most Tesla vehicles have recently shipped with a 48A onboard charger.

No, this was addressed above - copy and paste details like this are frequently wrong in these documents (so this detail may well be wrong - I don’t know one way or the other but the 48A 11.5kW charger seems most likely). Hence I try not to pay too close attention to anything other than the instrumented results.

• Love
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Seems easy to check. Many Gen 2 HPWCs, especially the commercial ones, are wired at 72A. But if the raven EPA paperwork shows 72A then yeah, probably that value was just cut and pasted.
My HPWC at home is on a 80A circuit as my P85D had dual chargers, so yeah, I can test that at home… when I get my Plaid, whenever Tesla decides to build one for me ;)

Playing with looking at CANbus data and tesLAX today-- this is a s
IMG_3DAB41AF13BA-1.jpeg
creenshot from a 0-60 launch today--the 2,300A peak draw seems kinda crazy.

Playing with looking at CANbus data and tesLAX today-- this is a sView attachment 689307creenshot from a 0-60 launch today--the 2,300A peak draw seems kinda crazy.

You should be able to import the DBC to get the remaining Plaid motors.
And you will see that you get 3x 400kW going to the motors during your launch!
Add that up and that's 1.21 gigamegawatts! Coincidence? I think not!

Thx - ELI5 How do I import the DBC? :)

Never mind, didn't realize the Plaid signals were folded into your Model 3 DBC

Last edited:
Would 1000 Plaid Model S lined up side-by-side, launching simultaneously be enough to punch a hole in the space-time continuum?

1100 bhp at the battery is possible, down to 1000 at the wheels. My P3 showed 550 bhp (412 kW) but I think that is battery power not wheel power, there are cable and drivetrain losses.
But electric motors are way more efficient than ICEs, and since there's only one speed, there are very few losses in EVs. Maybe 5%. Most likely more like 2-3% in the Plaid's case with the carbon-wrapped rotors. With a 98% efficiency for example, the Plaid would be putting down 999 hp from 1,020 at the battery. So using the same math, 1,096 hp (818 kw) at the battery would come out to 1,074 hp at the wheels. I think with this hp output, we'd be seeing close to 160 mph in the 1/4 mile trap vs. the 153 we're seeing now. I personally think this is either an error, or this is showing what could be unlocked with SW in the future.:)

But electric motors are way more efficient than ICEs, and since there's only one speed, there are very few losses in EVs. Maybe 5%. Most likely more like 2-3% in the Plaid's case with the carbon-wrapped rotors. With a 98% efficiency for example, the Plaid would be putting down 999 hp from 1,020 at the battery. So using the same math, 1,096 hp (818 kw) at the battery would come out to 1,074 hp at the wheels. I think with this hp output, we'd be seeing close to 160 mph in the 1/4 mile trap vs. the 153 we're seeing now. I personally think this is either an error, or this is showing what could be unlocked with SW in the future.:)
Sorry you are wrong. Regen round trip returns 80% net to battery. So 10% each direction. Also Here is another reference

do some research before guessing

Reactions: Dave EV
  • Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Reactions: croman