Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance vs BMW M5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chrisn's previous posts reflect a real struggle to choose between the M5 or the MSP. I had gone through the same issues. He had experience with both before he made his choice. I have as well, and I am thoroughly satisfied with my choice, but I can understand his interest in putting factual data out there for everyone's benefit. I am anxious to see the real numbers, but it won't affect my decision any more than it will affect yours.

Dude, those are laptop/flashlight batteries

Dude, those are the exact same type of cell that make up the MSP battery pack, so don't dude me, please.

charts have auto-fit origins. Use a 0,0 origin and they will be flatter

I'm well aware of that. It's standard practice to scale your plots so that the interesting parts show. The percentages I calculated were based off those curves, but due to the scaling it was possible to read the data points.

especially cells engineered to be high discharge cells (like an R/C pack and presumably the new Tesla batteries).

Wrong. The Tesla battery consists of Panasonic NCR18650A cells, and there's one of those in that plot (well, it's an NCR18650B, but it's the same 18650 format). That's because the totality of safety, cooling requirements, economics and capacity worked out best for that type of cell. Again, MSP was built for driving, not racing.

Last edited:
My mistake. I knew they used those on Roadster, but I wrongly assumed they did a bespoke cell/pack for the MSP. You have convinced me that performance potential of MSP falls more with SOC than an R/C car. And i get that that is by design and for real-world reasons.

My point still stands that MSP performance should be characterized in the meaty middle of the discharge curve and not at 100% SOC. Do you disagree?

Last edited:
My mistake. I knew they used those on Roadster, but I wrongly assumed they did a bespoke cell/pack for the MSP. You have convinced me that performance potential of MSP falls more with SOC than an R/C car. And i get that that is by design and for real-world reasons.

My point still stands that MSP performance should be characterized in the meaty middle of the discharge curve and not at 100% SOC. Do you disagree?

I'd be disappointed if the only way to achieve the published acceleration numbers was directly after a range mode charge. I think acceleration numbers should be as advertised at a normal, full charge after sitting for an hour or so, and it should be able to repeat it several times. If it could do a 0-60 in 4.4 seconds at 75% of normal charge, I think that would be very good.

For a race track comparison, I think more than one measurement should be made: Full range mode charge, first three laps. This would give the answer to how well it performs at its best. Then a comparison should be made starting with a full range mode charge and keeping going until it limits power. That would give the average performance.

If M5 wins the first three laps test, then it's the better car on the track, period. Even if it loses both tests, it is in my opinion still the better track car, because MSP will be charging 80% of the time. But its reputation would have been badly dented.

:)

Last edited:
Chrisn's previous posts reflect a real struggle to choose between the M5 or the MSP. I had gone through the same issues. He had experience with both before he made his choice. I have as well, and I am thoroughly satisfied with my choice, but I can understand his interest in putting factual data out there for everyone's benefit. I am anxious to see the real numbers, but it won't affect my decision any more than it will affect yours.

All true, but he made his choice and now chooses to spend time in the Tesla forums basically telling us how superior the M5 is. If I were to spend that much time in a BMW forum after making a decision to buy an MSP I would be called a troll. Standing by my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

All true, but he made his choice and now chooses to spend time in the Tesla forums basically telling us how superior the M5 is. If I were to spend that much time in a BMW forum after making a decision to buy an MSP I would be called a troll. Standing by my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, but you're totally out of line. This is a forum for Tesla enthusiasts, which Chris has shown that he is. But he also has an opinion that you disagree with. Chris' responses have been intelligent and on point. Rest assured, if you tried to discuss this on m5board.com it would not be anywhere as civil as he has kept it. Calling him a troll only reflects poorly on you.

I agree calling people trolls is probably not productive. Someone may be biased towards their car of choice (almost anyone would be) but that doesn't make them a troll. I'm sure the M5 is an amazing car so nothing wrong with him defending his purchase.

You just floor it and it kicks down to lowest gear not too close to redline. It is smart. It takes a lot less than 0.4 seconds to shift. Once again, we need to test to be sure, but my money on the M5 for this test. I'll bet dinner on it if anyone is willing to play.

As for gearing, I assume the computer would drop you into 3rd and do the pull in that gear. I'll test it if I remember.

The shift itself is very fast. But the engine still needs to spool up and transmit torque to the wheels. 0.4 seconds is not much time for all of that to happen, and the time differential between the cars grows, because Model S has a head start in distance and speed no matter what the delay is. Still, I only see one way to settle it, and as I stated M5 certainly has a case to make, especially if the total delay was just 0.2-0.3.

Based on general experience I'm just skeptical that M5 can accomplish that, because the engine is relatively large and has to overcome a ton of inertia compared to say a 2.0 liter turbo in an otherwise identical setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been lurking in this thread since the beginning because I thought it was fascinating that the MSP could even be in the same conversation as an M5. But I've come to a personal conclusion that chrisn is playing the roll of a troll. Yes, he throws the occasional bone to the Tesla bunch but overall, if you look back at the posts, he is just that. No matter what MSP folks say, he's going to re-define the argument. Yes, the M5 with decades of engineering and design and running on gas will out last an MSP on the track. I, with a bicycle and a sufficient supply of water and food, will also beat the M5 given certain constraints. The argument has become pointless. It's beyond academic at this point.

I don't have any problem with Chrisn's contribution to the discussion. He is knowledgeable and has personal experience with a 2013 M5 DCT. The purpose of this thread (as I see it) is to properly characterize the overall performance of the MSP and compare it to the reigning king of performance sedanery, the BMW M5.

As to the specific points he has been making for the past few weeks, personally, I think it WOULD be a bit of a disappointment if it turns out that the Model S is extremely limited at the track. Not earthshaking, but a disappointment. And it would also point to a clear path forward for Tesla to work to improve the next generation vehicle, which is good for all of us. So it's important to properly characterize these things so that we can advocate for improvements and drive the state of the art forward. This is the function that auto-racing has filled since guys were killing themselves riding the first motorbikes around wooden tracks with no brakes.

It's important to remember that the Model S is an extremely new technology, and it's amazing to me that it is pushing boundaries in so many directions. If I want to *win* an argument with Chrisn about MSP vs M5, I could focus simply on fuel efficiency, cargo capacity and all around practicality. For now, I'm happy to be having a discussion about the ways that MSP is challenging M5 in the high performance category that M5 excels in.

Still, I only see one way to settle it, and as I stated M5 certainly has a case to make, especially if the total delay was just 0.2-0.3.

Based on general experience I'm just skeptical that M5 can accomplish that, because the engine is relatively large and has to overcome a ton of inertia compared to say a 2.0 liter turbo in an otherwise identical setup.

Everyone has to eat. My dinner bet stands.

In practice, I think "reaction time" will be as big a factor, and it is hard to measure/compare that. If we use logger data to "start" when each car begins to accelerate, that might not be fair to the MSP (as it would make the shift time "free" to the M5). Need to think about how to test. Still waiting for a real live MSP owner to pop up and play with me.

I agree calling people trolls is probably not productive. Someone may be biased towards their car of choice (almost anyone would be) but that doesn't make them a troll. I'm sure the M5 is an amazing car so nothing wrong with him defending his purchase.

To add to your list of unproductive name calling: fanboy and apologist. Both descriptions only serve to diminish the value being placed on one's opinion.

I think it WOULD be a bit of a disappointment if it turns out that the Model S is extremely limited at the track.
I don't agree here. It's designed to be an impressive street vehicle for its weight... err, price... class yet be a remarkable accomplishment in the transition to pure EV transport. I think it's achieved that in spades. How it behaves on the track is a different matter entirely.

On that note, I would find it somewhat .. unsatisfying ... if an MSP couldn't be tuned to be competitive (turn off limiters, regen, etc.) -- perhaps in a warranty-unfriendly way, perhaps not. Unsatisfying is different than disappointment though.

As for comparison with the M5, I much prefer the intellectual and numeric evaluations -- charts, captured measurements, pro/con for straight line vs. curves, etc. far more interesting to follow than the attempts to summarize and pick a "binary" winner/loser.

Finally, w/r/t chrisn - It would be interesting to hear a recap where you (chrisn) think MSP is "clearly ahead" of the M5 and what/where the M5 could/should answer that challenge in the next editions. An EV putting an ICE on the defensive -- on any perf metric -- is an interesting turn for the industry. If you think there's no such cases of the MSP being ahead, well that would be a short post. Heh.

.... And it would also point to a clear path forward for Tesla to work to improve the next generation vehicle, which is good for all of us. So it's important to properly characterize these things so that we can advocate for improvements and drive the state of the art forward. This is the function that auto-racing has filled since guys were killing themselves riding the first motorbikes around wooden tracks with no brakes.....

Tesla's master plan is selling from the top down in price but performance on the track wise they are selling from the ground up.

To add to your list of unproductive name calling: fanboy and apologist. Both descriptions only serve to diminish the value being placed on one's opinion.

OK, a bit of damage control here. First, I don't really consider the term troll that derogatory, more descriptive, which is why I carefully chose the phrase that chrisn is playing 'the role of a troll' (please go back and read). yes, it's semantics, but for me an important distinction since I don't know the person, and don't think it's appropriate to characterize them personally. So, no I did no such thing as calling somebody a name.

Second, I don't necessarily think that just because somebody is knowledgable/intelligent/etc... means that .. how do I say this... that they should get a pass on a certain behavior/pattern. and, as I have followed this thread, chrisn' pattern has been to continually extend the argument and ever so subtly change the 'point' of the argument, the final straw for me being this line:
... I thought we were talking about the ability to drive your bone stock luxury car to the track, hang with sports cars and push your car to the limit, then cruise home in comfort.
No doubt that chrisn has offered a great deal to the discussion, but I would argue that the discussion is as long and protracted as it is *because* of this specific behavior.

Lastly, I am indeed sorry (to chrisn) if they believed that the troll comment was a personal attack, it was not. I don't know chrisn, I wouldn't pretend to know anything about them.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry... one last thing. If I'm the only person who feels this way, and it seems quite likely I am, then that's fine... just let my opinion die here. No need to draw *this* part of the thread on and on.

Finally, w/r/t chrisn - It would be interesting to hear a recap where you (chrisn) think MSP is "clearly ahead" of the M5 and what/where the M5 could/should answer that challenge in the next editions. An EV putting an ICE on the defensive -- on any perf metric -- is an interesting turn for the industry. If you think there's no such cases of the MSP being ahead, well that would be a short post. Heh.

1. Novelty. The new new thing is always cool. Being the first kid to have one is cooler.
2. Smooth delivery of significant power from a standing start without breaking a sweat.
3. Quiet. Always composed and quiet. (Although road/wind/tire noise dominates when cruising beyond 60MPH, so at freeway speed with cruise control, I'm not sure if significant--- in my Volt, I can't tell if ICE is running by sound alone).
4. Air suspension.
5. Economy (cheaper to drive, but not in CA for many PG&E people unless you get sep meter for charging)

Apart from #4, I don't see how the M5 can respond. I don't expect to buy the next generation M5 (assuming Tesla does their part).

One idea would be to have a 0-10MPH only booster motor on one or both front axles/wheels of M5 or other ICE car. You'd have tiny motor(s) and battery that would have one purpose in life: to get the car from zero to 10MPH in a buttery smooth way without having to stress the ICE (not necessarily super fast). Economics might not work out as an efficiency feature (and 0-60 times might be less just using ICE), but this alone would go a LONG way toward giving the M5 a more "EV drive" feel to it. Call it "Silky EV Start" and charge $3K for it.

From a roll, the M% shifts are so fast and smooth and the TQ so flat and never-ending, that it feels very EV-like. And, you know what? I like (LOVE!) the engine/exhaust noise when pushed hard. Also, compared to the E60, the F10 is very economical. Getting 23MPG on HW compared to ~18MPG.

I have never been in a production MSP, so can't comment directly, but my sense is that the "gadgetronics" of the M5 are better / more refined. B&O stereo with pop-up tweeter, lane departure, blind spot detection, collision detection, six-camera parking assist, side view cameras, forward camera that reads speed limit signs (as in OCRs them), deep iPhone/apps integration (Pandora, MOG, Yelp, Google, iTunes), BMW Assist, Heads up display, ventilated massage seats, powered soft close doors, no hands auto trunk opener, steering-tracking headlights, multi-adjustable performance parameters, four zone climate control, heated wheel, FOUR cup holders!...can't remember anything else. Anyway it has a lot of junk that is fun to have.

- - - Updated - - -

Lastly, I am indeed sorry (to chrisn) if they believed that the troll comment was a personal attack, it was not. I don't know chrisn, I wouldn't pretend to know anything about them.

No apology needed. I'm not offended.

I arrived late (mid-way at this point I guess) to this thread, but by the time I arrived, it seemed clear that the point of the thread was to see if the MSP could best the M5 around the track (could vary by track). I think a fair baseline assumption is that both cars would be stock and would be driven to the track and back under their own power (potentially after charging the MSP).

As we all struggle to explain the weird behavior observed by Cottonwood, many suggested that he should start at 100% SOC and re-test. Perhaps, but I still contend that real-world "point" if any, of being able to go around the track quickly and without a limp mode would be the ability to do so without burdensome and potentially unrealistic preparations (arrive in time to reach 100% range extend charge before going on track-- which might imply arriving not just the NIGHT before, but perhaps the day before if fast charging facilities were not available).

I always thought the difference between a "troll" and a "provocative [jerk]" is that the former says things that he doesn't believe and sometimes pretends to be someone he's not. I'm clearly trying to be provocative, but I honestly really want to find the answers to the same questions as you guys do.

The "data" so far has raised more questions than provided definitive answers. Let's all keep digging. Sooner or later, you all will have your cars and the answers will become clear.

Wrong. The Tesla battery consists of Panasonic NCR18650A cells, and there's one of those in that plot (well, it's an NCR18650B, but it's the same 18650 format). That's because the totality of safety, cooling requirements, economics and capacity worked out best for that type of cell. Again, MSP was built for driving, not racing.
Side point: I didn't know the NCR18650B is out already (no datasheet on Panasonic website yet). The NCR18650B is the updated 3400mAh version of the NCR18650A (which is 3100mAh). We'll likely see it in the max size battery pack for the Model X, the Gen III, the next Roadster, next Model S, etc (it'll boost the 85kWh pack to 93kWh with the same number of cells, it'll also push the power up proportionally). The chemistry used is essentially the same, so we can definitely use data on that cell for comparison.

Last edited:

I have never been in a production MSP,

type1.jpg

Meh. I've never been in a production M5 (my neighbor has an older one, but it has been modified).

I think his laundry list of features / creature comforts that the M5 has available but the Model S does not is perfectly valid. Cottonwood's test track experience could should a very conservative power profile for stock Model S that makes it unsuited for track. If so, ce la vie.

However, I do think the Model S holds up very well against an M5 for everyday driving. And that's why the Car-of-the-Year is there... not Track-Car-of-the-Year.

- - - Updated - - -

The Roadster issue clearly has to do with air cooling (I'm pretty sure that was already mentioned) and nothing to do with years or miles of development. Tesla never designed the car with the track in mind, so it's a different engineering issue. The Model S we don't know yet (esp. when fully charged), but I would be surprised if it's still a cooling issue given Tesla switched to a liquid system.
I do think it is a cooling issue and here's why: supercharger behavior. When at the Gilroy supercharge, after 200 miles of driving, I stopped for a supercharge to get another 90 miles or so (short on time, needed to be 140 miles away in 2.5 hours).

After a while, the amps drawn went down dramatically (from 192A / 359v to 108A / 376v -- I took pictures!) and the fans were audible. I stepped outside the car and could feel the heat pouring out of the front wheel-well. That was after a little less than 100 miles of charge.

So I think the heat issue could be very real.

I do think it is a cooling issue and here's why: supercharger behavior. When at the Gilroy supercharge, after 200 miles of driving, I stopped for a supercharge to get another 90 miles or so (short on time, needed to be 140 miles away in 2.5 hours).

After a while, the amps drawn went down dramatically (from 192A / 359v to 108A / 376v -- I took pictures!) and the fans were audible. I stepped outside the car and could feel the heat pouring out of the front wheel-well. That was after a little less than 100 miles of charge.

So I think the heat issue could be very real.
You are putting in ~70kW down to ~40kW of power while stationary which makes the fan necessary (a car on the track will be moving at a minimum of 40-50mph at the slowest which significantly increases the heat exchange efficiency because of much greater airflow; there's probably a formula somewhere for this). I'm pretty sure fans in even a normal ICE car largely turn on when you are stopped or at low speeds and almost never turn on at higher speeds.

The resistance of the battery protection circuits, interconnects and internal resistance of the battery itself will create heat (even though with DC charging, the onboard charger is not running and the charging reaction is endothermic in lithium ion batteries). The charging cable may also induct heat into the car. Assuming just 3.75% lost to heat inside the car (obviously at the offboard charger it's a lot more) and 40kW of DC power, that's already 1.5kW or the output of a typical space heater. All this heat will be pulled out to the radiators in front and, using the fans for air flow, radiated out to the unmoving ambient air (what you felt near the front wheel-well).

But if you look at battery heat flow (see chart on page 3), it seems heat flow rises rapidly near the end of the discharge cycle (this is the result of the battery impedance increasing, voltage dropping, meaning the circuit has to pull more current for the same power). This may be the reason for the cut in discharge power at low SOCs. But you should be okay for at least the top 50% SOC (since the increase is exponential, not linear, it shoots up near the second half of discharge).
http://www.micro-power.com/userfiles/file/mp_tempcharge-1250026530.pdf

Last edited:
I did not see this observation in the thread but may have missed it (there is a lot of thread here).

The MS was the single strangest street car I have ever driven. ALL street cars I had driven to that point provide a "roll over the sidewall" feel under lateral load. This includes the many M5s I have owned and even more rarified hardware like the F458. The MS gave me a "roll through the sidewall" feel. The only time I have felt this is in a purpose built race car and normally only one with a purpose built engine where the crankshaft has been placed low in the sump and drop gears are used to raise the rotation to the transmission.

Once what my butt was telling me sunk in, I tried to mess with the car (to the extent I could with my Tesla minder) by abruptly lifting with mid corner lateral load. Like a purpose built race car, the MS did not lift and rotate but rather felt like it wanted to drift rotate. What a wonderful feeling to have in a 4600 lb gorilla of a car.

Like a kid at Christmas, I simply can not wait.

lolachampcar;219197... Once what my butt was telling me sunk in said:
Nice description of what I felt too. My biggest problem with the car is trying to explain this to someone who just assumes it's like everything else they have driven and that it could not possibly be that different.

- - - Updated - - -

And the exciting part (or depressing) is that Peter Rawlings (from Lotus) was gushing about how fantastic the AWD will be!