Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Performance & Handling Compared to my BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'll be ordering a Model S in the near future and I currently own a 2014 BMW 550i M Sport. For those of you who may not be that familiar, it's the same twin turbo V8 that's in the M5 just not near as much HP and other enhancements. My goal is to attain (or close to it) a similar driving experience with regards to handling and performance.

I'm not thrilled about spending the extra money on the P85D so for those of you who are familiar with my car or equivalent, I wanted to know if the P85 would deliver a similar experience or would I need to jump up to the P85D?

Thanks in advance!

They don't make the P85 anymore so you'd be ordering a CPO or buying used. The P85D really kicks the acceleration up a notch but the P85 is still a lot of fun. Did you mean the 85D?

No need to go with a P85 or P85D, an 85D will get you in the same 0-60 range, most people have seen 3.9-4s 0-60 on the 85D. AWD handles a bit more on rails than the P85. When I had a P85 loaner the back end wanted to get away from me a little bit in the rain, don't see the same with the 85D.

If you are expecting similar or better track performance then look elsewhere (this just applies to the track!). If it is driving and acceleration bliss like hugging curvy roads, up and down mountains in all sorts of weather conditions as well as not driving when stuck behind other cars then there is no other option IMHO

They don't make the P85 anymore so you'd be ordering a CPO or buying used. The P85D really kicks the acceleration up a notch but the P85 is still a lot of fun. Did you mean the 85D?

My apologies, I meant the 85D.

- - - Updated - - -

If you are expecting similar or better track performance then look elsewhere (this just applies to the track!). If it is driving and acceleration bliss like hugging curvy roads, up and down mountains in all sorts of weather conditions as well as not driving when stuck behind other cars then there is no other option IMHO

Correct, I'm not looking for the "track" experience I could care less. I'm interested in the "acceleration bliss like hugging curvy roads, up and down mountains in all sorts of weather conditions" as you mentioned above.

Correct, I'm not looking for the "track" experience I could care less. I'm interested in the "acceleration bliss like hugging curvy roads, up and down mountains in all sorts of weather conditions" as you mentioned above.
There is no other option...have you been behind the wheel yet? It is just a matter of how much money you are willing to sink. To compare to the 550 M you might be ok with the P85, but I'd start with an 85D (this should get you in the ballpark) and if you can, splurge on the P85D.

Electric car acceleration is pretty damn impressive from standstill and from about 40mph to about 85mph. If you're talking above that speed, then the TT V8 will start to really pull at that point but who really accelerates hard from that speed on the street regularly??
For reference, I'm a life long BMWCCA member and still have an M3 and traded in a tuned 335 for the S85 for the wife. We all love the pull from down low in the S85.
Take a test drive if you can. At regular street speeds, the S85 will impress you. Just don't drive an 85D, or you'll want that!!

Just schedule a test drive, you will know the difference the moment you hit the pedal.

I have a 2013 BMW 535i Sport, after a week of driving my S60, the 535i drive like Shxx. I can't wait to return the 535i when the lease is up.
Not just the performance, regarding handling, I like my 530i sports (e60) way more than 535i (f10). The first time I drive the 535i, it feels much heavier, long front hood, and drive like a boat. Models S drives like a Porsche Panamera.

Last edited:
There is no other option...have you been behind the wheel yet? It is just a matter of how much money you are willing to sink. To compare to the 550 M you might be ok with the P85, but I'd start with an 85D (this should get you in the ballpark) and if you can, splurge on the P85D.

I haven't driven one yet, I plan to later this week. I drove an i8 today for several hours, really cool car but TBO, I preferred the performance and handling out of my current vehicle. It just felt more solid and aggressive than the i8 but that's just me.

- - - Updated - - -

Electric car acceleration is pretty damn impressive from standstill and from about 40mph to about 85mph. If you're talking above that speed, then the TT V8 will start to really pull at that point but who really accelerates hard from that speed on the street regularly??
For reference, I'm a life long BMWCCA member and still have an M3 and traded in a tuned 335 for the S85 for the wife. We all love the pull from down low in the S85.
Take a test drive if you can. At regular street speeds, the S85 will impress you. Just don't drive an 85D, or you'll want that!!

Ahhh, so you definitely can relate to what I'm seeking to accomplish. Thanks for the info!

Just schedule a test drive, you will know the difference the moment you hit the pedal.

I have a 2013 BMW 535i Sport, after a week of driving my S60, the 535i drive like Shxx. I can't wait to return the 535i when the lease is up.

Haha, love it. My lease expires late summer and I have really enjoyed the vehicle. I've had the car for almost 2.5 years and only have 13K miles on it as my main use case is driving back and forth from the Nashville burbs to the airport each week. The sad thing is that I now have the Tesla bug and I can't wait to get rid of my car, which is sad because I have thoroughly enjoyed it! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

85D is the droid you're looking for, unless you require top end (above 80) punch. If thats the case, shell out for the P85D.

Nope, I don't really have a need for fast acceleration above 80. I certainly have this option now but I think I've only romped on it a handful of times.

- - - Updated - - -

85D is the droid you're looking for, unless you require top end (above 80) punch. If thats the case, shell out for the P85D.

Oh, and you have the EXACT exterior color that I want. How do you like the Midnight Silver Metallic? I've only seen the photos on the Tesla website and I'm dying to see it in person.

Oh, and you have the EXACT exterior color that I want. How do you like the Midnight Silver Metallic? I've only seen the photos on the Tesla website and I'm dying to see it in person.

Well, my wife called it the "adult" choice, as it was between that and the blue for us since the titanium looks more... brown, in person. That said, I believe it has a certain elegance about it whilst affording a modicum of urban/freeway camouflage when trying to avoid unwanted attention. Also is pretty low maintenance compared to most of the other colors in regards to showing dirt and light scratches. Also, I should note that I was previously speaking in terms of straight line performance. I've never driven a 5 series, so I cant compare handling characteristics. I can say that the 85D is a very "solid" car when taking corners though, and doesn't really get out of line before stability kicks in. This limits fun but also pucker factor IMO. As for nimbleness, it IS a nearly 5K lb vehicle but the torque makes up for most of that.

Cliffs Notes: Test drive is needed. But then again you already knew that.

Last edited:
This is my topic. I am a hardcore BMW fan boy. My recents have included a 2006 M5, 2006 550 sport with a manual transmission, a 470hp 535 and most recently a 2014 535D. I was trying to cut fuel costs. :-D

As far as handling goes, if you have the 704 M-Sport suspension in rear wheel drive configuration I think you'll find pretty much any rear wheel drive Model S is going to handle on par with that. If you have the DHP suspension with the active sway bars you might notice the Tesla has a bit more body roll. The rear wheel drive cars are pretty neutral and much like the BMW, are pretty easy to rotate with throttle application.

If you're worried about losing the BMW's driving dynamics, don't be. I just got done running through the hills of Malibu this afternoon and it was every bit as much fun as my 535 was, maybe a bit more. It's closer to my E60 5 series than it is to the F10 which is a compliment, especially when you consider the S's weight. I would drive a P85 and an 85D if handling is important to you.

With regards to acceleration, if you're going to be disappointed anywhere it would be at expressway speeds. The Tesla isn't slow here; it's just not nearly as oppressively fast as it is off the line and it won't have the punch of the BMW. I thought this was going to be something that bothered me a lot but I find myself not really missing it.

I've had my 85D just less than a week coming from an E39 M5 with some Dinan upgrades. I love my M5, there are times when I know that will continue to be the car I want to drive. There is no way I'm personally good enough with the 6 speed manual that I could beat my 85D in 0-60 or a quarter mile, although with the Dinan upgrades it is theoretically possible. I had not had the chance to take the 85D on some of my favorite windy roads but on a couple of on/off ramps I've been very impressed with the handling. I do not feel that the 85D is a step down in performance and it is a big step in in terms of practicality. I suspect the times I'll choose the M5 is when I'm going somewhere alone and want the sun roof open (wife and kids nixed the pano for me) and just want to drive.

I went from a F10 535i with a Dinan chip to the P85D.

I suppose it depends on what you are talking about when it comes to handling, but for my money the 535i handles far better than the P85D. I'm saying that purely from an enthusiast POV in terms of driving enjoyment. For my taste BMW has the balance b/w luxury/power/handling pretty close to nailed. The 535 is a fairly big car (although smaller than the MS) but still feels nimble. The MS isn't nimble in that way. It is heavy but handles like it is on rails - you can't do anything to make the car feel like it is on the edge of breaking away.

That said, it doesn't matter one bit. The experience of owning the Tesla is awesome. It's awesome to drive. The power is super fun. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Note: I see you're in Nashville. If there is anything I can do to help you in your process let me know. I'm happy to let you drive my car so you can see what it's like w/o having to deal with the Tesla folks. Just PM me as you get closer to your decision point.

Also here's my post from early ownership - speaks a bit to handling, delivery experience in Nashville, etc.
Week One Observations - Nashville P85D

No need to go with a P85 or P85D, an 85D will get you in the same 0-60 range, most people have seen 3.9-4s 0-60 on the 85D. AWD handles a bit more on rails than the P85. When I had a P85 loaner the back end wanted to get away from me a little bit in the rain, don't see the same with the 85D.

If highway passing power is more important than 0-60, the 85D will get you even closer to the P85D. Their 50-90 passing speeds are very close. From a 0-60 standpoint, a second difference is huge, so if you want off the line, then the PD is the way to go. I haven't looked a the specs of the 550 M sport, but the PD with Ludicrous is just about on par with the M5's 70-90 passing. Both are about 2.4 seconds.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, it's just the opposite. Above 50 MPH, there's only a 38 KW power power difference and the slopes are parallel.

....unless you're considering Ludicrous then the difference is considerably larger :)