Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S on Top Gear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking of the Top Gear episode where they took a standard production Jaguar S-type on the ring and asked Clarkson to do it in under 10 minutes. So not a special car at all.
So are you now saying that the Model S is not capable of driving flat out on country roads for more than 10 minutes ?

Inside Line noticed a 0.3 second difference between their first and last runs while doing 0-60 mph 6 times in a short period of time. IIRC that's A LOT better than the Roadster so the cooling system should be up to the job but it definitely looks like motor power is throttled (no pun intended) when it's pushed hard enough. It's yet to be seen what those limits are but it's not unrealistic to expect that overheating could become an issue.

3... If they do a review and nothing goes wrong then I can see them just generically disliking the EV aspect to the car as they did with the Roadster. My gut says they will actually love the car just like it has won over other petrolheads.

The script is written likely before the even get the a car for "review". They have to talk with glowing reviews about how great it is then just as you think you have to have one they then rip the car apart for all of it's "faults". (the order gets flipped but the 1/2 hate, 1/2 love result is the same.)

When they got the Roadster and the Stig (Collins) drove and raved about it, did they say nicer things than they had planned to? We may never know.

What they did do was end the Roadster review with a bought-and-paid-for discussion about how great the coming hydrogen cars will be.

Last edited:
So are you now saying that the Model S is not capable of driving flat out on country roads for more than 10 minutes ?
Country roads are completely different from a race track. No sane person wolud drive on open road the way they drive on the Nürnburgring.

The Model S will probably manage to drive at top speed until the battery is empty because of the cooling airflow, but continious braking and max acceleration on a racetrack won`t work.

The Stig was Ben Collins...

For all the people that say Top Gear is just an entertainment show, you should hear the number of otherwise sensible engineers that parrot their FUD like it's gospel.

When my brother worked for Renault, he said that a bad review sunk a model that never sold another unit at their dealership.

To this day I can tell someone how amazing my Tesla is and they will say "Ooouummm, I don't know, didn't Top Gear give that car a bad review?"

It's not just a bad review of a Renault, they might have killed a fledgling company. I think that's why Tesla had to sue.

Country roads are completely different from a race track. No sane person wolud drive on open road the way they drive on the Nürnburgring.

The Model S will probably manage to drive at top speed until the battery is empty because of the cooling airflow, but continious braking and max acceleration on a racetrack won`t work.

It's my understanding that the liquid cooled pack, motor rotor and power electronics make cooling no longer an issue for the MSP85. When European deliveries begin, perhaps TM will prepare a 'special version' for a Nuernburgring run. Engineering will be certainly interested in learning what the limitations (weak points) are, for future enhancements or even production changes.

Why do you assert that repeated braking and acceleration wouldn't "work"?

A member took their Model S to a track day event and experienced reduced power after a short amount of hard driving. I don't think it was clear as to which component was experiencing too much heat, the car didn't identify which part if the car it was.

A member took their Model S to a track day event and experienced reduced power after a short amount of hard driving. I don't think it was clear as to which component was experiencing too much heat, the car didn't identify which part if the car it was.

Didn't they identify that the issue was that the car hadn't been fully charged at the time ?

I thought that Jaguar tested their vechicles on the Nürnburgring.
As a Jaguar owner I received an invitation from Jaguar for a day out to drive my car there.

So I agree with Ron95030 that it would be a useful exercise for Tesla and interesting for us.

Everyone should brace themselves for another Tesla that is a poor track car. Top speeds over 130 MPH and driving the car at it's limits for long periods does not seem to be important for Tesla.

And that's OK.

I know that, "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" is one way of moving vehicles off car lots but the fact that Tesla does not even have car lots should show that Tesla is doing things differently.

Everyone should brace themselves for another Tesla that is a poor track car. Top speeds over 130 MPH and driving the car at it's limits for long periods does not seem to be important for Tesla.

And that's OK.

Agreed. It's my hope that Tesla will go the extra step with the next Roadster. The Model S is a sedan. It has lots of areas where it is spectacular and lots of performance for those that want it. But I think that you need to design the car with "track use" in mind with an upgraded cooling system. I'd expect to see that in future versions of the S for an extra cost. I definitely expecxt it to be in the new Roadster when it comes out.

This is what happened with the original Roadster too. There are performance improvements between Roadster version 1 and 2.5.

I love Top Gear for what it is -- a buddy show that happens to focus on cars. That being said, I wouldn't want an S in their hands because they (Clarkson mainly) love running jokes, and I don't want Tesla to become one of those. The reviews are purely for entertainment and are not based 100% on facts.
Well, there's a Brit expression "give someone the gears", for lie to, bamboozle, agitate, abuse. So if you're getting the "Top" Gear, you're really being "wound up and sent up"!

Didn't they identify that the issue was that the car hadn't been fully charged at the time ?

I thought that Jaguar tested their vechicles on the Nürnburgring.
As a Jaguar owner I received an invitation from Jaguar for a day out to drive my car there.

So I agree with Ron95030 that it would be a useful exercise for Tesla and interesting for us.

Jackie Stewart? Is that you? :eek:

Tonight Top Gear UK had a Model S owner Will Smith on the show. They did talk about his first car but Jeremy seems to have avoided what he drives now. I would assume that it's on purpose. Or maybe he did ask, and then they edited it out.

Given how much celebrities love the Model S, how long can they keep this up?