Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S nose cone vs Model X front

Which would you prefer the S to have, X front or keep S nose cone?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep I had to do the Photoshop job, to confirm what my mind's eye was telling me. But I think it looks better in "road going trim" than the S or the "naked" X. For me a big part of choosing a black S was it hid the nose cone, and the UK numberplate then completes the look. So I voted for the X

Agreed it would definitaly suit the UK plates, for white and black at least.

It's a shame in the UK that our rear number plates are yellow.

I LOVE the new Model X front end design. Any time you can "clean up" the look and minimize the number of distracting elements, you have a better shot at creating a design that will stand the test of time. Model S front end looks like they were trying too hard. Model X front end looks effortless.

To my eye, the X's front end doesn't look premium. The S looks like a luxury car.

It's obvious that they teetered between using the nosecone (as in the X concept) and not, and ended in a compromised bumper design that basically just had to fill that space. It looks like a bandage over the mouth, or a thick mustache or something to me. An incongruous design choice, again to my eyes. Even if they removed the nosecone, adding a chrome oval or something would have looked better. It's too much body color, and it creates a plasticky appearance. I think a front license plate will improve the looks, which is required in many states thankfully :cool: The simple grill/logo looks very similar to current Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. Just filling in the plastic bumper over the normally open grill doesn't scream premium or luxury or even futuristic EV to me.

I feel the same way. It went too far and made it look a bit bland. Also, from the side profile, it looks odd as the bumper zig-zags like has a bubble in the molding. I would have preferred to do away with the nosecone, body color the bumper like they did, but kept the chrome surround that is on the S. This would break up the monotony as well as provide a visual connection between the X and S in a rear-view mirror.

Pics for comparison...

View attachment 96102
View attachment 96103

I never really liked the nose cone. Can't say I hated it, but never liked it. Still I think I like the S front end better. If they ever do get rid of the nose cone on the S, I hope it looks better than the X's implementation

Maybe it's just me, but that picture of the X with the rear doors open (wings up, ready to launch into the air!), the thin "beak-like" black logo stripe on the front, and the look of the headlights (which I can't quite put a word to yet) makes the car look very falcon-like. (Or other bird of prey.) I like that sooooo much better than the traditional (and usually soul-less) "reptilian" look of most SUVs. I can almost hear it screeching as it swoops down on some poor, unsuspecting ICE "rodent." :biggrin:

For me the MS, especially at night, has always evoked a bat-like vibe, so maybe I just tend to see a more avian approach in Tesla's designs.

I LOVE the DRL in the S. They lost brand identity with the X. Both the roadster and S have the same shape nose for a brand identity. They have lost that with the X. Front number plates are. Mandatory in most parts of the world outside the USA. That, at least breaks up that featureless look on the X. If they were simply going to mold plastic for the area, the least they could have done was maintain the brand shape. DRL consistency would also have made a huge difference. I much prefer the S.

I LOVE the DRL in the S. They lost brand identity with the X. Both the roadster and S have the same shape nose for a brand identity. They have lost that with the X. Front number plates are. Mandatory in most parts of the world outside the USA. That, at least breaks up that featureless look on the X. If they were simply going to mold plastic for the area, the least they could have done was maintain the brand shape. DRL consistency would also have made a huge difference. I much prefer the S.

+1
The DRLs are a missed opportunity.