Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Presumably there could be a range of after-market grills available in a variety of different styles. Much like alloys.

Check out the custom Grillz!

imgres

I wonder how much the front end gets "locked in" after crash testing?
Some things have to be left alone unless they want to do another round of crash testing later.
Or maybe they area already planning to re-do crash tests on the betas too?

I doubt they're planning on crashing in the beta stage unless they failed a test (highly doubtful given the allegedly "very successful" computer simulations.

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect that non-structural changes (such as aluminum stampings around the front and changing the grill) have no effect on the crash testing, since they're completely non-structural elements. Just my suspicion.

I doubt they're planning on crashing in the beta stage unless they failed a test (highly doubtful given the allegedly "very successful" computer simulations.

I don't know for sure, but I'd suspect that non-structural changes (such as aluminum stampings around the front and changing the grill) have no effect on the crash testing, since they're completely non-structural elements. Just my suspicion.

Q4 Earnings Call Transcript

Elon Musk said:
...Then there is going to be another period of intense crash testing for the betas starting towards the end of summer, and then yet more crash testing that takes place once we have our release candidates, because the beta is in sort of '89%, 90% production design,' but it isn't entire made with production tooling. So we have to get confirmation step with the release candidate articles which should be kind of in the roughly 11 to 12 months from now. That’s just to confirm that the process used to manufacture the cars results in cars that are consistently of the design intent. So, there is a whole lot of crash – there is a tremendous amount of crash testing taking place, because our standards that we're – what we're aiming for here with Model S is pretty extraordinary in terms of safety.

Not to hijack this thread, but I still wonder where I'll put the front license plate that the Commonwealth of Virginia requires...

A very good question as Norwegian law also requires a front license plate. Especially the Alfa Romeo with their sometimes excellent designs looks really wierd with the offset license plate that seems to have been thrown on in the last minute. A bit like the first version of the Roadster actually :-|

Cobos

Here in Ontario it's actually illegal to put a transparent cover on the plate, due to automated toll highways, red light cameras, etc. Of course you can buy the covers at Canadian Tire and everyone puts them on anyway. But I doubt they'll allow a car that's built that way.

Thanks Lloyd - definitely Grillz :)

Re:license plate: If it's replacing the nosecone then the grill also doesn't need to allow air through. So nosecones and any alternative grills for particular territories could be made with the license plate built in to a suitable recess. The plate could be curved into a slight cylindrical shape to help it blend in (a bit).

ETA:

In fact the current nosecone seems close to cylindrical already:

25-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe the reason they have the nose cone instead of a grill is they are installing an AWACS type surveillance equipment in the nose so the car can shoot missiles from the extending door handles. Now that would be cool. :tongue: