Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Nose Cone Designs (Prototype, Alpha, Beta and beyond)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Vauxhall is a UK specific brand as far as I know. Everywhere else in Europe Opel has the circle with the lightning through it symbol, and none of the V designs. So I'd say considering how unfriendly people are to EVs in the UK, that is a not a good reason to drop a cool design.

Cobos

So I'd say considering how unfriendly people are to EVs in the UK...
to be fair, we have a minority of influential and powerful vested interests who are anti-EV in the UK. Indeed, I would say that they are simply anti-change... the vast majority of people just don't know anything about EV's or renewables and that's why the BBC stunts are so damaging.

The good news is that we have a very vibrant and growing group of EV 'evangelists' who are forcing through change regardless. Many contribute to this excellent forum.

Don't give up on the UK just yet, we might just surprise you!

Kevin: Don't get me wrong, we've got our detractors here in Norway as well. The difference though is that in the last 1-2 years the media has turned a very positive eye to EVs here. Cars like the LEAF got a 6 on our 6 sided die rating system, so top score. A recent review at our NRK (national broadcast like your BBC) with a Polo Bluemotion and MiEV recommended the MiEV. Or they said for urban consumers the MiEV is best though for rural consumers they suggested the Polo would be a better fit. This is after all a pretty sensible result and not something I would complain about.
Of course in here a MiEV costs only about 25% more than the Polo Bluemotion.

Cobos

...... TMC plans to use the area for senors. Didn't say what kinds tho.

That could be awkward...
seniors.jpg

(shot of Hispanics)

Last edited:
I think it was pretty unanimous that the new grill on the alpha is not nearly as appealing as the grill they had on the prototype. You'd think that Tesla would take note of it and at least offer an option for the original grill.

Even if the purpose of the new grill is to improve the drag coefficient Im sure they could achieve that goal while still maintaining the original look.

Five reasons why I think we're not seeing the final nose:

1) I would think that if the alphas are representative of the new grill, then they'd change the gallery pics on their website...but they aren't.
2) Somewhere (as mentioned on one of the threads here) a Tesla engineer said the "nose cone" will not be on the final car.
3) Tesla's mentioned in many places that the end design will be very similar to the prototype. I don't anticipate that they would make such a huge change and still claim to say that.
4) The majority of reaction to what we see with the "nose cap" has been negative, style-wise. Surely Tesla recognizes this, and I don't think Franz would let his front end get hijacked for a reduction in the drag coefficient of maybe 0.02 or 0.03.
5) They're doing road tests, and perhaps don't want to attract too much attention.

Two reasons why I think the nose might stay:

1) Where's the charge port? Must be in the nose, right?
2) There it is on the alpha.

I lean toward what we're seeing as a temporary front end, because I find the list of 5 reasons above more convincing.

Five reasons why I think we're not seeing the final nose:

1) I would think that if the alphas are representative of the new grill, then they'd change the gallery pics on their website...but they aren't.
2) Somewhere (as mentioned on one of the threads here) a Tesla engineer said the "nose cone" will not be on the final car.
3) Tesla's mentioned in many places that the end design will be very similar to the prototype. I don't anticipate that they would make such a huge change and still claim to say that.
4) The majority of reaction to what we see with the "nose cap" has been negative, style-wise. Surely Tesla recognizes this, and I don't think Franz would let his front end get hijacked for a reduction in the drag coefficient of maybe 0.02 or 0.03.
5) They're doing road tests, and perhaps don't want to attract too much attention.

I lean toward what we're seeing as a temporary front end, because I find the list of 5 reasons above more convincing.

Thanks Todd, I like your reasoning... I sure hope your right! I'm not sacrificing for years to have a funny looking car.

I wonder how much the front end gets "locked in" after crash testing?
Some things have to be left alone unless they want to do another round of crash testing later.
Or maybe they area already planning to re-do crash tests on the betas too?

img_3059_cropped.jpe

This is being discussed on that other thread about the Alpha workshop tour. Notice the other front-end sitting in the bottom right corner of this picture. You can see that it's got the chrome grill all around with the horizontal strip across (which, although you can't see it here, I'm sure has the T logo like in the prototype).

I think we can put this concern to rest :)

Last edited: