Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - FAQs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've started collecting the bits of Model S lore - some known, some speculative - and trying to organize them in a Google Docs spreadsheet. I would love to find the "right" spot to land them in when enough are collected.
Anyone who's willing to help compile/edit, please send me a private message.

I've had a chance to glance at AndyM's spreadsheet. One of the nice features of it is it has column for status with open or verified as the options. This helps us proceed with what Robert Boston has pointed out the ratio of questions to answers being skewed towards the former. The way I envision the FAQ is as something dynamic that changes as our questions and answers change. Bonnie is probably right that a wiki function is probably best way to handle this. In the meantime efforts such as AndyM's spreadsheet and some brain storming here is a great way to start.

Upon further reflection, a slightly more focussed approach might help here on this thread. Maybe we should start with a top 10 questions we as a community have and up to 5 questions you personally might have if they are different. If you know the answer to the questions feel free to provide the answer as well with preferably a source listed ie a link or talked to sales person.

Last edited:
For example: I do not think one of our top questions is what the general dimensions of the Model S is. Most of us know we can over to TM's site very quickly and get that. On the other hand one of our top questions might be the change in the dimensions in the back seat head room with and without the pano option or just more generally how of much a difference having the pano roof has for the back seat drivers. One of my top 5 personal questions is how difficult it is to drive with the air suspension up for times over 30 seconds at the required slow speeds.

For the first question there is a whole thread related to it here
Panoramic sunroof
As far as I know for the air suspension question is specs for speeds limits which the various levels work at and reps telling us it will work at those speeds. I would love it if someone could point me to test drive where someone actually tested beyond raising it for a second to go over a bump or sat in one place raising and lowering it.

As a side note: this, however, is not a place to go off on long tangents theorizing answers, but more a place to concisely state or point to an answer. The more extended conversation on a single topic are for threads dedicated to that topic. Please help us mods by moving extended conversations not about building an FAQ to their appropriate threads.

Last edited:
I've opened up the spreadsheet so anyone with the link can view it.
Here's the link:

Tesla Model S Facts and Unknowns

Great work Andy.

For the questions, "Can I play FLAC files in the stereo?" and "5.1?", your answer is Yes. Did you confirm that both stereo and 5.1 FLAC can be played on both the standard and upgraded sound systems?

Thanks.

Larry

Great work Andy.

For the questions, "Can I play FLAC files in the stereo?" and "5.1?", your answer is Yes. Did you confirm that both stereo and 5.1 FLAC can be played on both the standard and upgraded sound systems?

Thanks.

Larry

I'll have to do some editing onthe sheet, and some more testing. The one file I tried with multi-channel FLAC encoding did not sound "right" in the Model S. But the multichannel WAV did sound OK.
To be 100% sure, I'll need to use a reference file.. one that says "Front Left, center, front right, back right, back left, LF" separately.

Ok I will take a stab at what I believe are the 10 most commonly asked questions in this community:

1) When am I going to get my Model S?
2) What color should I get?
3) What type of internal driver/passenger storage options will there be?
4) What is the status on fit and finish?
5) How robust will the battery be over the long haul?
6) How is the audio in the standard and upgraded systems?
7) All sorts of console tech questions (please someone help me be more specific)?
8) Range related questions such as how cold and hot weather effect it, normal mode vs extended range mode, etc?
9) Where are they going to put the Super Charge Stations?
10) Charger and adapter questions (need help here too)?
11) Which wheels/tires to get for winter and bad road conditions.

I couldn't resist going to 11. After all the volume goes to 11. What do you think are the most common questions?

From my Tesla config support rep today...
Sorry for my delay in responding to your tire pricing question. Tesla Motors just released the information on tire pricing last week, shortly after we spoke. Here is all of the information that I have on tire pricing:

· 19” Winter Wheel/Tire Package with Pirelli Winter Tires

o $2400

· 19” Winter Studded Wheel/Tire Package with Nokian studded winter tires

o $2800

· 19” Wheel Package -- set of 4 19” wheels

o $1000

· 19 “ Wheel (single)

o $275

· 21” Wheel/Tire Package -- set of 4 21” Silver Wheels with Performance Tires

o $5,200

· 21” Wheel (single)

o $950