Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Panoramic sunroof

Panoramic sunroof

Looks like it's a pretty popular option among many carmakers

NY Times - When ‘Glass Ceiling’ Is a Positive

sorry I didn't get a pic of the roof itself, but I thought it was quite nice

Name:  IMG_1652.JPG
Views: 1646
Size:  88.3 KB

Car Solar Roof Concept Is Really, Really Cool | EarthTechling

“This combination allows the driver to enjoy a unique open-space feeling while it generates electricity during the day and pleasantly suffuses the interior with the warm light of the transparent, highly efficient OLEDs at night,”

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Some amazing things are happening in the glass industry. I'm sure this will be an area of rapid evolution in the car industry in the next decade.

Something for Model S 2.0 ?

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    While at the Santana Row store, I asked what the car's interior roof would be like without the pano roof. The rep didn't know -- as far as he (or I) could recall, every Model S so far has had the pano roof!

The current interior has lots of vertical where the glass is, of course, and that will necessarily be lower by at least a few millimeters with the solid roof and headliner. But, the pano roof also requires thick channels along the right and left edge of the ceiling, which presumably won't be there. The part of the ceiling I really want to see without the pano roof is the area just behind the pano roof. Currently, there's a large ridge there, into which my head bumped as I sat upright in the rear. If that bump isn't there in the non-pano version, there will be more usable headroom without the pano roof.

I had a 2006 Saleen with panoramic roof > what a mistake - despite after market sunscreening > mucho caliente when parked outside for any period of time! Hated to drive it in the summer in southern California.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    While at the Santana Row store, I asked what the car's interior roof would be like without the pano roof. The rep didn't know -- as far as he (or I) could recall, every Model S so far has had the pano roof!

The current interior has lots of vertical where the glass is, of course, and that will necessarily be lower by at least a few millimeters with the solid roof and headliner. But, the pano roof also requires thick channels along the right and left edge of the ceiling, which presumably won't be there. The part of the ceiling I really want to see without the pano roof is the area just behind the pano roof. Currently, there's a large ridge there, into which my head bumped as I sat upright in the rear. If that bump isn't there in the non-pano version, there will be more usable headroom without the pano roof.
    I am 6'4" so the headroom is something I'm obsessed about and I think that you are absolutely right. Without the sunroof there will be more headroom at all 4 seats. My head bumped into the thick channels along the right and left but I thought maybe I could adjust the seat better given more time (this was on 10/1).

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I keep going back and forth on the panoramic roof. I guess I'll have to sit in it first to make a decision. I hope they offer test drives of both versions prior to this summer. If people have to lock in options 3 months prior to delivery, that would mean early Signature owners have to make a decision sometime in May.

Another think about the Pano roof is that you get a lot more wind noise in the cabin. At least this is my experience with other cars sunroofs. A lot of my friends ride bicycles (I do too) and have roof racks on their roofs (I do too). They produce a LOT of wind noise, especially with a mountain bike on the roof. With a standard roof it normally isn't too bad, you just turn up the radio a bit. But with sunroofs you get noise that is really hard to cover up.

Granted this car will be way more aerodynamic than the VWs, Mazda 3s and Subarus that dominate the bicycle scene in Georgia. And well you probably won't keep a roof rack on top. But you do get more wind noise through the glass, and extra seals. I used to be all about sunroofs, now I am mostly opposed. Opening up the roof isn't even close to a convertable. And really opening all 4 windows does more for me.

That and growing up in Florida has greatly warped my car decision making process. I basically think 'What will make my car LESS efficient at being a solar oven?' whenever I look at a car. I know that the Tesla will pre-AC itself. I live in Georgia where about 5-7 months of the year having a warm car is something I like.

Model S - R140
    I would definitely NOT get the pano roof, if I had a choice. But I want factory satellite radio.

Thread Information