Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Executive Rear Seats With Arm Rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are going to totally nix the middle seat, I really wish that they would have done something more with the space in between the seats - instead it appears to be just a leather filler, which looks a little cheap IMO, if this is to truly be an execute sedan/limo. It would have been a great place for a sort of yacht floor option to match with the rest of the floor, with maybe a tasteful tesla T inset. Something akin to:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I love it! But losing the ability to fold the seats down is a deal breaker for me. More so than losing the center seat, which I will practically never use. Seems to me that they could have thought this out better, adding more functionality. I do think the lack of a center folding armrest in both the current and this new design is a bit of a fail and could have been thought through more completely.

The other rear seat issue that my passengers have is that the seatbelt buckles are very hard to locate and latch. Not just for large people. My sister, who is average to small in size, always has one heck of a time getting it latched. I think the defined the seat area for each passenger as too narrow.

But they do look gre

If they are going to totally nix the middle seat, I really wish that they would have done something more with the space in between the seats - instead it appears to be just a leather filler, which looks a little cheap IMO, if this is to truly be an execute sedan/limo. It would have been a great place for a sort of yacht floor option to match with the rest of the floor, with maybe a tasteful tesla T inset. Something akin to:

View attachment 69021

This is awesome... but I love to have seat for 3 in the back ....lot easier to put the car seat and still have 2 adults sit comfortably.

- - - Updated - - -

Given the lack of headroom in the back of my Model S, and the closeness of the seat to the floor (too close), I'm skeptical of this executive back seat. I not sure how they could have addressed both of those problems.

Agreed 100%

View attachment 69021

Off topic, but that trim looks like oriented strand board!

220px-Courtab%C5%93uf_2011_076.jpg

WHAT??!! This looks amazing! I'm tempted to cancel/re-order just to get this. I wonder what the chances are I can pay to upgrade considering they will have to change my back seats anyways when the next-gen are available?

Well worth asking about though sadly I suspect it may be harder than that. This does look pretty cool but thankfully for my psyche and sanity it would not suit my needs. I was thinking that for your common usage, driving clients it would be good, but being able to carry five when necessary - still in relative comfort for short distances might still be more useful. The main usage I can see is for four adults or two adults and two teens driving long distances the journey would be much better for the passengers. I guess this also allows the car to compete with other luxury cars for owners who don't need or care about the lost storage or passenger count.

This appears to be designed for the Chinese market where the owner often sits in the back. No fold down and no centre seat makes it pretty unappetizing for North America.

This appears to be designed for the Chinese market where the owner often sits in the back. No fold down and no centre seat makes it pretty unappetizing for North America.
That's what I see too, but for that purpose the rear leg room and headroom also needs improvement. The China market usually addresses that with long wheelbase versions.

Well worth asking about though sadly I suspect it may be harder than that. This does look pretty cool but thankfully for my psyche and sanity it would not suit my needs. I was thinking that for your common usage, driving clients it would be good, but being able to carry five when necessary - still in relative comfort for short distances might still be more useful. The main usage I can see is for four adults or two adults and two teens driving long distances the journey would be much better for the passengers. I guess this also allows the car to compete with other luxury cars for owners who don't need or care about the lost storage or passenger count.
Yes it would be awesome. Maybe a Model X for the utilitarian (cargo space and kids) needs...

That's what I see too, but for that purpose the rear leg room and headroom also needs improvement. The China market usually addresses that with long wheelbase versions.

Not so sure about that. On average, Chinese are not as tall as North American Caucasians. Rear seat headroom and legroom in the Model S may be just fine for them.

We have a Lexus LS460L Executive Class. In many ways its rear seat is similar to this new seat. The car only seats 4. The rear passenger side seat reclines almost fully and there is a built in ottoman, so people (like my wife) can put their feet up. (The front passenger seat comes way forward so there is extra, extra legroom, and no one can sit in the front passenger seat when it that position. When the Exec Class came out, the chief executive of Hong Kong got one. Of course, he sits in the back recliner (which also has two types of massage built in), and his driver is normally the only other person in the car. One big negative is that the trunk is much smaller than a normal LS460, with the extra space needed for the recliner. When I drove my wife around, I would put on my chauffeur's hat. :)

As of 2007, when we got our LS460L, I believe there was only one other car with a similar reclining seat, the Maybach. Maybe Tesla will have a longer wheelbase car (with more batteries) and reclining rear seats.