Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Carseats: Model S vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My search Fu found lots of carseat talk but wasn't able to find anything specific to comparing the S to the Y.

I currently have a MY with one rear-facing toddler car seat on the passenger side. This requires I move up the passenger seat a pretty good amount.

In the future - hoping to have another kid, at which point the toddler would switch to a front-facing carseat on the driver side (hoping to avoid having to move seat forward, and the new kid would be rear facing on the passenger side.

What I am mostly concerned about is having to move the driver seat forward to accommodate the forward facing toddler seat, and secondarily it's pretty annoying for my wife to have to ride with the passenger seat forward.

Can anyone speak to the space a model S would provide over the Y? Is the backseat large enough so that neither driver nor passenger seat need to be moved forward for rear facing carseats?

Appreciate any insight.

I am on my second S. I bought my first one and sold many of my sports cars six years ago when we found out we were expecting. It is my kid hauler.

The situation is not much better in the S from our experience but it will certainly depend on how tall you/your wife are and what your preferred seating positions are.

For a removable baby seat that docks and undocks from a base that remains in a car, for us the passenger seat essentially needed to be all the way forward. It would be untenable for me to drive in that position if it were behind the driver's seat.

For a rear facing toddler seat the seat must still be moved forward a good amount but it is more manageable. We had two rear facing toddler seats at the same time for awhile and it was doable but I was not in my natural seating position as a driver.

Obviously, once the toddler is large/old enough to turn around you are in good shape.

For reference, we used an Uppababy Mesa for our infant seat and a Britax Boulevard for our convertible toddler seats. I specifically got the Britax as it is the only seat on the market with a v shaped top tether and thus would go around the rear headrests on the S. The rear headrest in my initial, pre refresh P90d were not removable. My all knowing wife, when I bought them based upon my first car, said "we both know you will have a new car by the time you need the top tether." As always, she was right. I got my Plaid by the time we turned the oldest child around and the rear headrests are removable but no regrets as the Britax is so easy to install/uninstall. I have even dropped it into my McLaren for short trips to local car shows and it worked great (before anyone has a coronary, it was front facing, airbag disabled, short trip, etc.)

I am 5'9" and my wife is 5'7" for reference. Hope this helps!