Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good afternoon everyone, I'm in Connecticut and I order my Model S Plaid Stealth Grey / Black Interior on 12/2/2023. When I placed my order, the local service advisor told me that Tesla wasn't producing any more model S cars this year. So, that was a bummer but after reading through this very active thread, I don't think that the advisor was correct. Clearly it looks like there are plenty of new deliveries are happening every day and these cars can't all be from November. 🤔 Either way, this has been a fun ride with things changing every couple days. These have been my delivery estimates so far:

December 2nd - Order placed. Estimated delivery date showed Dec 2023 - Jan 2024
December 7th - Estimated delivery date updated to Jan 2024 - Feb 2024
December 11th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 25 - December 31 (I hope those poor tesla employees aren't delivering Christmas day)

As of today (December 12th) I don't have a VIN yet. So, I'm not really expecting them to be able to build the car, put it on a train across the country, put it on a transport truck to get it up the coast, and then be able to deliver it in as soon as 13 days from now. However, I guess we will see if they can prove me wrong.

Out of curiosity, has anyone with in the December 25th through December 31st delivery estimate received a VIN yet?
I ordered on 11/21 b/c I was told that I will get a 24 vin.
MSLR, red, white, 19“, Yoke
Got Dec23-Jan24
On 12/4: 12/25 - 12:31
On 12/6: 12/26-12/31
On 12/10: 12/27-12/31
No vin yet

Reactions: teko and zoomer0056
I ordered on 11/21 b/c I was told that I will get a 24 vin.
MSLR, red, white, 19“, Yoke
Got Dec23-Jan24
On 12/4: 12/25 - 12:31
On 12/6: 12/26-12/31
On 12/10: 12/27-12/31
No vin yet
Interesting. So if my order follows your pattern them I'm probably looking at a window that will get smaller and smaller over the next couple days while Tesla "hopes" that they can deliver before the year end. However if they don't assign a VIN soon then I don't see that happening.

Now if they build the car and start sending it to your service center before giving the VIN then I guess anything is possible.

Does anyone with past experience know of the VIN is sent out right as the car is being built or is there a delay between them building and the VIN showing up?

Good afternoon everyone, I'm in Connecticut and I order my Model S Plaid Stealth Grey / Black Interior on 12/2/2023. When I placed my order, the local service advisor told me that Tesla wasn't producing any more model S cars this year. So, that was a bummer but after reading through this very active thread, I don't think that the advisor was correct. Clearly it looks like there are plenty of new deliveries are happening every day and these cars can't all be from November. 🤔 Either way, this has been a fun ride with things changing every couple days. These have been my delivery estimates so far:

December 2nd - Order placed. Estimated delivery date showed Dec 2023 - Jan 2024
December 7th - Estimated delivery date updated to Jan 2024 - Feb 2024
December 11th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 25 - December 31 (I hope those poor tesla employees aren't delivering Christmas day)

As of today (December 12th) I don't have a VIN yet. So, I'm not really expecting them to be able to build the car, put it on a train across the country, put it on a transport truck to get it up the coast, and then be able to deliver it in as soon as 13 days from now. However, I guess we will see if they can prove me wrong.

Out of curiosity, has anyone with in the December 25th through December 31st delivery estimate received a VIN yet?
Make sure if you get a surprise text that your car is ready that it is a '24 (PF) in the VIN. Get the factorygated date/time from the image source code or birthdate from the sales advisor to ensure it it not a reject.

You really don't want a delivery near year end. Even if the car was perfect in every respect, greater chance it will be damaged in transport, and less chance you will have to look the car over as busy as deliveries at EoY.

A few years back, I got a cold call from some random Tesla delivery center saying I could have a plaid in my driveway that day...Dec 24....4:30PM.

Best of luck and have your checklist of choice ready.

Reactions: diddydee
But you can just hit the palm of your hand on the right side of the steering wheel to activate the horn. You don't have to target the haptic button.
Alas, that absurd “solution” pretty much guarantees me a dry wipe of the windshield and no horn when I do it—perhaps a 10% success rate.

Here’s a better idea: just put the damn horn button back where it belongs Elon….

In the meantime I drive with extreme care in parking lots and ESPECIALLY when in double left or right turn lanes because when the joke yoke isn’t perfectly straight I effectively have no horn.

It just really degrades the Model S (and X) for no reason except stupidity and cost savings; it should have been fixed when Elon Tweeted about it some 20 months ago!

Thx.

Last edited:
I don't know if it specifically applies to a 2-yr old vehicle. I get the feeling that they've just frozen ALL deliveries of S and X. Not sure if that means the bug applies to all, or if it's just easier to not discriminate which ones to freeze.
My take is it's an inventory management strategy. Just as soon as they start displaying '24 VINs (which probably could be any time given inventory is now about where it was at this time last year) then customers are only going to want '24 VINs and they would have to discount remaining '23s. They will have to do that to some extent anyway, because you'll never manage it to zero without draining the channel, so they are just trying to minimize the impact. I'd suggest this is the reason there appears to be a lot of open orders waiting on a VIN assignments. They are probably holding the '24 VINs as long as they think they can.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Kinda hate where this is going. Ordered on october 13th - plaid S (in Canada, GTA area). Originally given EDD in early December. Then color was "upgraded" to stealth gray. Then last week, my EDD was uodated to...... March 2024 lol. I see other Canadians here who have ordered and received already in between this timeline that live within 1h of me.

Actually……. That’s the same advisor that told him they weren’t making any more Model S vehicles in December so I wouldn’t wager much on their Theory that it will be a 24’.
I haven't seen any confirmations on this thread so far for Dec model S production date.

On the MX forums, I saw a Dec production confirmation. It's possible that they are now prioritizing MX delivery for the states so that they can get their tax credit before the end of the year.

Reactions: n2mb_racing