Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Wednesday, I picked up my Plaid from Kansas; I did not notice any paint or panel gap issues. Initially, I was like WTF regarding the yoke, but I had to drive about 300 miles back home, and upon getting home, I was very comfortable with it. Now, I have no issues with it at all.
I did have some things in the interior not tucked in properly.
This car is fast, I honestly don't see why it should be this fast on the road, but I do love it!!

The only issue I have now is that I've been stuck on software version 2021.12.4.9

On a side note: My LR order now has an EDD of Oct 29 - Nov 20.
Post a photo when you get a chance, and drive your new Plaid in good health! Are you buying the MSLR too?

Thanks. I'll post some photos soon. Yes, I plan on getting that for my wife or selling it to a friend.
On Wednesday, I picked up my Plaid from Kansas; I did not notice any paint or panel gap issues. Initially, I was like WTF regarding the yoke, but I had to drive about 300 miles back home, and upon getting home, I was very comfortable with it. Now, I have no issues with it at all.
I did have some things in the interior not tucked in properly.
This car is fast, I honestly don't see why it should be this fast on the road, but I do love it!!

The only issue I have now is that I've been stuck on software version 2021.12.4.9

On a side note: My LR order now has an EDD of Oct 29 - Nov 20.

Attachments

• 3578D363-B913-4777-B8F9-907C1829A9F9.jpeg
    3578D363-B913-4777-B8F9-907C1829A9F9.jpeg
    574.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 5E552E71-8E6F-45E1-B120-58B685E97BA1.jpeg
    5E552E71-8E6F-45E1-B120-58B685E97BA1.jpeg
    436.9 KB · Views: 64
  • D0B991FE-929C-41D5-B6FC-630D1B569655.jpeg
    D0B991FE-929C-41D5-B6FC-630D1B569655.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 66
  • FAB1B336-4067-41D7-BCFE-08D10A50B769.jpeg
    FAB1B336-4067-41D7-BCFE-08D10A50B769.jpeg
    385 KB · Views: 61
  • 8D950974-0789-4C10-AEB8-4F7A2E8DF250.jpeg
    8D950974-0789-4C10-AEB8-4F7A2E8DF250.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 63
  • 56F79E88-0271-459B-A764-87EB3A377C1C.jpeg
    56F79E88-0271-459B-A764-87EB3A377C1C.jpeg
    400.6 KB · Views: 64
Just posted this on the other same topic page.
Figured most know the 5YJ source page look up for vin. If not, here it is as dates start seeming closer without officially assigned vin’s. To cut through these directions, go to your manage page - on a computer - and right click and choose view page source. Then control F I think to bring up search. Enter 5YJ and search. Figure the VIN, at least if it shows here, would show the car is in production anyway…

Last edited:
This is EXACTLY what I'm wondering too. Here's my synopsis: you as the customer will not be able to go 200 if you bought the 19" wheels. For the foreseeable future.. The original wheels are likely embedded in the VIN. Think about it this way: A customer could totally lie and say that that they have the proper tires, when they haven't. WAYYYY to much liability. So the 19" cars are likely hard limited to their 163 mph. Tesla will possibly allow people to call in or send proof or something that way it can be unlocked. I mean, this could be serious. If a tire blows up at 180+ mph, or even 163 mph, you are pretty much dead.
Except that we KNOW the 19's are rated for 186?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
So after a few days of driving the plaid, I must say I can’t see how the market on 2019-2020 Model S doesn’t tank.

This car is far and away better than my 2020 model S performance. Beyond the fit and finish, and material quality improvement the way the car feels, and drives is monumentally better. My Raven just felt big. Floaty, wide, and just wasn’t super enjoyable to me. It felt like a Lincoln town car that just happened to be really quick. I much preferred my m3p’s driving dynamics to the S.

The refresh feels like you’re driving a much smaller car IMO. More direct steering, less floaty, and just overall much more enjoyable to drive. The way the dash and cockpit is designed also makes it feel less boxy and more sleek.

I think the refresh LR is an exceptional value, and besides the fact that you can’t get one today, it completely nullifies the Raven S performance to me. It’s only marginally slower, and worlds better everywhere else. I’m strongly considering taking my November LR allocation and maybe selling the plaid.

Some other thoughts:

1. The yoke. As much as it pains me, it’s not that bad. In most cruising scenarios I only hold the bottom corner/s anyway. It definitely does offer a nice unobstructed view. I find in tight turns(say 90 degree turn from a stop, it’s more natural for me to push down on the opposing top of the yoke vs use the bottom to turn.

2. Yoke controls. Still not in love with it and I’m sure it’ll get better. I’ve accidentally hit the wipers a few times. At this point I still think the 3/y stalk setup is preferable to me.

3. Performance. I’ve owned a few 8 second cars so I’m slightly numb to this aspect, but the amount of instant power on tap from a 60+ Roll is very impressive and what all the previous models were missing.

Also the amount of performance it retains even as the battery gets down in the 30-50% range is impressive.

For a completely stock(oem) sedan, the performance is really hard to believe.

4. The ebony wood is nicer in person than in pics, although I’d probably still slightly rather cf.

5. Overall build quality is much improved. But still some small issues, and material quality is still not on par with the Germans.

So after a few days of driving the plaid, I must say I can’t see how the market on 2019-2020 Model S doesn’t tank.

This car is far and away better than my 2020 model S performance. Beyond the fit and finish, and material quality improvement the way the car feels, and drives is monumentally better. My Raven just felt big. Floaty, wide, and just wasn’t super enjoyable to me. It felt like a Lincoln town car that just happened to be really quick. I much preferred my m3p’s driving dynamics to the S.

The refresh feels like you’re driving a much smaller car IMO. More direct steering, less floaty, and just overall much more enjoyable to drive. The way the dash and cockpit is designed also makes it feel less boxy and more sleek.

I think the refresh LR is an exceptional value, and besides the fact that you can’t get one today, it completely nullifies the Raven S performance to me. It’s only marginally slower, and worlds better everywhere else. I’m strongly considering taking my November LR allocation and maybe selling the plaid.

Some other thoughts:

1. The yoke. As much as it pains me, it’s not that bad. In most cruising scenarios I only hold the bottom corner/s anyway. It definitely does offer a nice unobstructed view. I find in tight turns(say 90 degree turn from a stop, it’s more natural for me to push down on the opposing top of the yoke vs use the bottom to turn.

2. Yoke controls. Still not in love with it and I’m sure it’ll get better. I’ve accidentally hit the wipers a few times. At this point I still think the 3/y stalk setup is preferable to me.

3. Performance. I’ve owned a few 8 second cars so I’m slightly numb to this aspect, but the amount of instant power on tap from a 60+ Roll is very impressive and what all the previous models were missing.

Also the amount of performance it retains even as the battery gets down in the 30-50% range is impressive.

For a completely stock(oem) sedan, the performance is really hard to believe.

4. The ebony wood is nicer in person than in pics, although I’d probably still slightly rather cf.

5. Overall build quality is much improved. But still some small issues, and material quality is still not on par with the Germans.
This is great to hear. Can you talk a little bit more about handling vs your 3? How is it for daily driving (eg your 35mph trip to the grocery and weaving through the parking lot)? Size wise, how long to get used to the extra width?

sorry for being a broken record on this for anyone not interested in these comparisons!

Reactions: Venom
Last edited:
I'll try that! I'm stuck on software version 2021.12.4.9, did you have this issue and what version are you on now? Thanks
@fafson At delivery, I requested a forced load of 2021.24.x. Service agreed to do it during the prep. I was told it would take an additional 50 minutes for the load, so my delivery was a tad delayed. When I got the car, they told me their system attempted the load, but the Tesla configurator would not let it load to my car for some reason. Seems like Tesla is limiting what cars get 2021.24 at this point. So, still on 2021.12.4.9 right now....

@fafson At delivery, I requested a forced load of 2021.24.x. Service agreed to do it during the prep. I was told it would take an additional 50 minutes for the load, so my delivery was a tad delayed. When I got the car, they told me their system attempted the load, but the Tesla configurator would not let it load to my car for some reason. Seems like Tesla is limiting what cars get 2021.24 at this point. So, still on 2021.12.4.9 right now....
Oh wow I see. I wonder why. I don't really have much issues with the current version so I guess it's not a problem (yet). Thank you so much for you replies!

Apparently Tesla does their model year thing quite differently than most or pretty much all other auto mfgrs; it’s model year designation depends on the actual year the car is built. So, yeah, no 2022 model year MS until 1/1/22. This is what my Tesla RM explained to me. I agree it’s annoying but Tesla does almost everything quite differently so it’s no surprise. Keep your 2021 order dude.
My 11/21/20 delivery with a 11/17/20 build date was a 2021

This is great to hear. Can you talk a little bit more about handling vs your 3? How is it for daily driving (eg your 35mph trip to the grocery and weaving through the parking lot)? Size wise, how long to get used to the extra width?

sorry for being a broken record on this for anyone not interested in these comparisons!
The 3 was more nimble for sure but the refresh closed that gap considerably. The steering felt a tad tighter on the 3 and some of this might be having a proper wheel, but I could take tight turns at a higher rate of speed more confidently in the 3.

Zipping through traffic, or parking lots is no issue at all and should take very little time to get used to.

The S suspension is still very plush, while the 3 was more harsh IMO. So it’s a very good balance.

The refresh is far more enjoyable to drive than the previous S. For me it’s not even remotely close. But I was not a fan of my 2020 S at all from a driving standpoint.