Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN 1536 is delivered! Reservation sequence 1635; 85kWh non-performance, green, tan, lacewood, 19" wheels, everything else but the parcel shelf and jump seats. She's charging up (only 9 miles of range when she was unloaded). KNOCK DEAD gorgeous color -- exactly what I wanted (no, I hadn't seen a green Model S until now).

My DS, Andrew Clark, was great. Thanks, Andrew!

Congrats! Hope the 4.0 software update and sleep mode makes cars being delivered with such low range less likely. Must be tough to sit there and watch it charge instead of playing.

@DouglasR - How long before your actual scheduled delivery/pickup date were you contacted by the DS or did you reach out? Thanks!
I was reaching out long before delivery. Got my VIN several weeks back.

Between traveling and my computer going into the shop, I'm finding it impossible to keep up with the forums. Doing this on a smartphone is no fun I'm ducking out for a while to play with my car. See y'all later!

Ok, P#3883. Got a call from the Tesla factory folks earlier in the evening. I should be getting the car in the next 7 days. No VIN data though.

I think their production and delivery targets right now are a bit ahead of their processes, especially for factory delivery where they've got the most delivery flexibility.

I'm not going to complain though :).

Ok, P#3883. Got a call from the Tesla factory folks earlier in the evening. I should be getting the car in the next 7 days. No VIN data though.

I think their production and delivery targets right now are a bit ahead of their processes, especially for factory delivery where they've got the most delivery flexibility.

I'm not going to complain though :).

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a delivery date without a VIN.

Great to see a fellow Terp!

- - - Updated - - -

I got my email from Tesla about getting mine early if I wanted it, with delivery between 12/24 and 1/7. What do folks think about getting a 2012 vs a 2013 model? I was told that if I get one in 2012 it will be a 2012 model and if I get one in 2013 it will be a 2013 model. Should I care?

Looks like I'm one of the unlucky few whose cars disappeared without a trace during production.

I spent 2-3 hours over the past 3 days trying to get someone to tell me what happened. I knew something was wrong when I started sensing deliberate avoidance from the HQ employees, which seems to have started as soon as my Model S (Vin 1401) apparently failed testing so badly it was disassembled and they began with a new chassis.

I couldn't get anyone to give me a straight answer - or even return emails and phone calls - for the first 2 days of this week. Finally after escalating I've been told that the car failed inspection and was scrapped and started over from scratch.

So I'll apparently be missing my 12/8-12/22 window.

I have to admit it seems suspicious - no one really seems to know for sure why my car went from "done with production and halfway through testing" to "beginning production". I have mental images of Elon Musk's cousin admiring my silver Performance Model S, watching as they change out the VIN and tell me it failed testing.

The worst part isn't the 2-3 week delay. It's the fact that as soon as a car goes off the normal track, it seems, Tesla's communications with the reservation holder go to crickets. I went from normal email and voicemail response time (from everywhere- my DS, as well as from delivery@teslamotors,com, [email protected], and my HQ sales rep) of 2-12 hours to no responses whatsoever in 48 hours to any of my emails or voicemails. That's when I guessed they had messed up my car somehow.

My roadster has been in the shop 24 times in the 22 months I've owned it. People ask me why I'm still such a big Tesla fan. As of today, I don't know the answer. Today's the first day that I'm really not one. It's been unacceptably difficult to get a straight answer from this company with which I am trying to increase my total spending to nearly a quarter million bucks.

I went from normal email and voicemail response time (from everywhere- my DS, as well as from delivery@teslamotors,com, [email protected], and my HQ sales rep) of 2-12 hours to no responses whatsoever in 48 hours to any of my emails or voicemails. That's when I guessed they had messed up my car somehow.

Probably those 2 days were a time when they found out there was a problem, but it wasn't clear yet what the extent of it was. It may have been re-assigned from the testing department to the fix-any-problems department, and it took a day or two for them to analyze the cause of the problem, and decide what to do about it. 48 hours doesn't seem to be such a long time for them to wait for that information to come in before updating you, even if not ideal. From your description I don't see anything "suspicious": We heard before that a small number of cars will get scrapped when they don't pass testing. That just unfortunately happened in your case. If you want to discuss this further, there is a thread specifically to discuss delivery issues.

It doesn't really matter because they are not changing the model or features. I asked that question a few months ago and they said they are not your "traditional" car company where they will be coming out with model years. So you are safe either way!

- - - Updated - - -

I got my email from Tesla about getting mine early if I wanted it, with delivery between 12/24 and 1/7. What do folks think about getting a 2012 vs a 2013 model? I was told that if I get one in 2012 it will be a 2012 model and if I get one in 2013 it will be a 2013 model. Should I care?

Tesla has to produce 385 cars per week to reach 20,000 next year
That's 4.8 cars per hour running double shifts.
That's 1 complete car every 12.5 minutes.

Hope they can keep it up!
They're running 2 shifts at less than full bore right now, as they get things smoothed out and everything and everyone up to speed. That 20K will be the output of one shift on one line next year. Elon is aiming for at least 50% more than that. Soon.

VIN 1536 is delivered! Reservation sequence 1635; 85kWh non-performance, green, tan, lacewood, 19" wheels, everything else but the parcel shelf and jump seats. She's charging up (only 9 miles of range when she was unloaded). KNOCK DEAD gorgeous color -- exactly what I wanted (no, I hadn't seen a green Model S until now).

Congrats, and may I say, you're a trusting soul, getting green when you hadn't seen one; I'm glad it worked out.

I'm surprised by the low charge; why don't they charge them halfway or more at the factory before shipping? Oh well.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S.: only thing on my due bill is the front license bracket.

...and parcel shelf and jump seats, which you mentioned earlier? Or are they already installed?

I'm surprised the front bracket is a due bill item, but I haven't seen a lot of folks talking about that, or pix of same. Is this normal to not have it installed yet on delivery, or did you request they not install it? Just curious/nosey, sorry.

(Ignore my previous comment about # of miles; I just saw your reply to someone else about not having the 4.0 yet.)

Looks like I'm one of the unlucky few whose cars disappeared without a trace during production.

I spent 2-3 hours over the past 3 days trying to get someone to tell me what happened. I knew something was wrong when I started sensing deliberate avoidance from the HQ employees, which seems to have started as soon as my Model S (Vin 1401) apparently failed testing so badly it was disassembled and they began with a new chassis.

I don't know all the reasons why they would start from scratch, but I can only imagine they would scrap the VIN if it was body/frame related. Bad / weak welds in key frame components or misalignment of the frame and chassis would be reasons to tear down. Everything else should theoretically be bolt on pieces; drivetrain, battery, etc that wouldn't need a total vehicle scrap.

Wow, that's the first I've heard of a delivery date without a VIN.

I am pretty sure Contaygious was in that situation.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla has to produce 385 cars per week to reach 20,000 next year
That's 4.8 cars per hour running double shifts.
That's 1 complete car every 12.5 minutes.

Hope they can keep it up!

Make that three of us. Does that make me the first Terp Alum to take a delivery? (8 Dec 2012)?