Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your assuming nearly 7 Billion dollars in SX sales for 2023 as an American made car isn’t worth their time? While I like the Model 3 it is no comparison to a MSP in my opinion.
I don’t know what their profit margins are on the S/X, but assuming it’s 15%, that’s 1.05 billion dollars in profit. That’s absolutely nothing to sneeze at and I’m not sure why Elon was acting like the S/X were insignificant when he made the comment about the S/X production was more for nostalgia sake. It’s still a massive cash cow for the company and in my opinion would be a big mistake to end their production.

My EDD just jumped to January 28 - March 10... On the East coast

Order date 11/27 MSLR/UR/black/yoke/19'
Original EDD Nov -Dec then switched to Dec 25 to 31st. Then switched to Jan 5th to the 26th and this morning BAM Happy new year
Throughout December I had that gut feeling that December 31st was always an aspirational delivery date for Tesla and that there was probably no way that they would ever make that happen. However, even up to 1:30 a.m. this morning it still showed December 31st. Now, a few hours later my dates have shifted as well. My order is for a Model S Plaid, Stealth Grey, 21", All Black, with the normal wheel.

Here is a recap of delivery estimates so far:
December 2nd - Order placed.
Estimated delivery date showed Dec 2023 - Jan 2024

December 7th - Estimated delivery date updated to Jan 2024 - Feb 2024

December 11th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 25 - December 31

December 17th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 31 - February 4.

January 1st - Estimated delivery date updated to January 5 - January 26.

I'm here on the East Coast as well (CT to be exact) and can't wait to see if any of these January dates are real.

Throughout December I had that gut feeling that December 31st was always an aspirational delivery date for Tesla and that there was probably no way that they would ever make that happen. However, even up to 1:30 a.m. this morning it still showed December 31st. Now, a few hours later my dates have shifted as well. My order is for a Model S Plaid, Stealth Grey, 21", All Black, with the normal wheel.

Here is a recap of delivery estimates so far:
December 2nd - Order placed.
Estimated delivery date showed Dec 2023 - Jan 2024

December 7th - Estimated delivery date updated to Jan 2024 - Feb 2024

December 11th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 25 - December 31

December 17th - Estimated delivery date updated to December 31 - February 4.

January 1st - Estimated delivery date updated to January 5 - January 26.

I'm here on the East Coast as well (CT to be exact) and can't wait to see if any of these January dates are real.
Unfortunately for you the “I ordered a 23‘ but wanted a 24’” cancel/hold group clogged up the order que and those that wanted what they ordered got slid back continuously while they played lot roulette to park these uncollected purchases. Happens Every year with people on both sides of the fence unfortunately.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Unfortunately for you the “I ordered a 23‘ but wanted a 24’” cancel/hold group clogged up the order que and those that wanted what they ordered got slid back continuously while they played lot roulette to park these uncollected purchases. Happens Every year with people on both sides of the fence unfortunately.
Lmao if I ordered in 2023 and got it in 2023, sure whatever. If I ordered in 2023 and am getting it in 2024, then I sure as hell want a 2024 car...

Lmao if I ordered in 2023 and got it in 2023, sure whatever. If I ordered in 2023 and am getting it in 2024, then I sure as hell want a 2024 car...
Fully agreed but in your example (Canada always gets late ship) they gave you a February- March 24 delivery date. In that example I Would expect a 24’. If they gave you a 23 date not as much.

Reactions: iHateWaiting
I don't know who would buy a 2023 vin car from anyone in 2024 without there being a discount, either that or increase the price of the 2024 model. I have crunched the numbers multiple ways, the economics don't work. Most folks, I think, buying an 80K+ car aren't stupid financially. I guess if you don't care about money and just want the car now or think Elon raises prices out of the blue, then just buy it.
If $3,000 dollars breaks the bank and you're buying a $80,000 car then you shouldn't be buying an $80,000. People who really care about resale value simply shouldn't buy a new car for starters. Always buy used if that's a top 3 concern.

Its not about breaking a bank. People that can buy $80k car didn't get there by throwing away $3k.
Then don't order a car until you're guaranteed a 2024 VIN. It's pretty simple. People playing this end of year game and stressing over VIN year should simply wait. Or keep their car long enough that it doesn't matter much.

People that can buy an $80,000 car should also be buying used if you want to make that argument. You buy new, you are taking a massive hit on resale driving it 5 miles.

Agreed :) if you are doing heavy duty math on resale, then the other T (Toyota) is the better option.
Exactly. Anything over a $35,000 car is a 'waste' of money if you want to look at it that way. Sure, don't throw away money just to throw away money. But also don't order a car in 2023 hoping to hit some unknown target date and then get upset when you get a 2023 VIN.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Its not about breaking a bank. People that can buy $80k car didn't get there by throwing away $3k.
Realistically if you're looking to sell within a year (which is the only point where the difference might be $3k), fiscal responsibility is clearly not the priority. That $3k will diminish to a negligible amount if you sell within a more reasonable tiemframe.

Also the fact of the matter is, spending $80k+ on a new car is throwing away money in general. Especially with these cars where a 1 month used one can be going for $10-20k less than new MSRP.