Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, just complete my first big charge -- the highlights: 24% - 90%, 33 min, 110F ambient, 63 kWh added. Here is the first cut at the data--video coming soon.

View attachment 675382
Check my math here....66% of 348 miles is....230?....if so, drive 3 hours and back on the road in about a half hour? Sounds like a contender for a 1000 km challenge.

The reason Tesla put their foot down with the VHT thing, was to avoid the headline: "Tesla Fails To Meet Under-Two-Second 0-60 Claims, Only Did 2.07; Really Slow." I bet even without further improvements, that other magazines, or Plaid owners will be able to probably put down a good 2.0-2.05 second 0-60. For all we know, MotorTrend was really pissed off with Tesla for telling them what to do, and so they didn't try for the absolute fastest times. At the end of the day though, I totally agree with you @Tigers, when most the owners will be fine knowing their car is a sub-2 second car on a prepped surface, and a really, really low 2 second car on the street.

Not wanting to start an off topic argument, but FSD is a much bigger fail than being off a few tenths...

The reason Tesla put their foot down with the VHT thing, was to avoid the headline: "Tesla Fails To Meet Under-Two-Second 0-60 Claims, Only Did 2.07; Really Slow." I bet even without further improvements, that other magazines, or Plaid owners will be able to probably put down a good 2.0-2.05 second 0-60. For all we know, MotorTrend was really pissed off with Tesla for telling them what to do, and so they didn't try for the absolute fastest times. At the end of the day though, I totally agree with you @Tigers, when most the owners will be fine knowing their car is a sub-2 second car on a prepped surface, and a really, really low 2 second car on the street.
makes sense. they probably wanted to ensure the car is tested with maximum surface for the first test reports,

will be interesting to see what numbers car and driver and road & track get.

makes sense. they probably wanted to ensure the car is tested with maximum surface for the first test reports,

will be interesting to see what numbers car and driver and toad & track get.
I personally cannot wait for this car to get tested by those magazines, and to start dominating! It will be a summer to remember for sure!:)

This was my first thought and 100% agree. The headline that it _doesn't_ do it is way more clickbait friendly than the one that validates the claim, so getting them to say it with an asterisk is worth it to avoid the headlines decrying it the 1.99 as bogus, if MT had failed to hit it at all under any condition.

Whoa. A few tenths?…..we are talking about hundredths here. We are not even talking about a single tenth. I think you made my point - people don’t even realize how inconsequential.
exactly. I have been making this same point the entire day. The statistical likelihood that someone can get 8/100 of a second lower is highly probable

This was my first thought and 100% agree. The headline that it _doesn't_ do it is way more clickbait friendly than the one that validates the claim, so getting them to say it with an asterisk is worth it to avoid the headlines decrying it not really doing it if they failed to hit it at all under any condition.
Yeah, as "controversial" as this move was by Tesla, I think it was a good move nonetheless. :)

Reactions: Drew-MS and rhuber
We are talking about 8 hundredths of a second. This is an amount of time that is so inconsequential that it gives new meaning to splitting hairs. There are so many variables involved with a test run like this that a slight change in ambient temperature, humidity, surface etc can easily alter this number. When you are not even talking about tenths of a second, I consider the numbers to be equivalent. I have actually never discussed performance with any car enthusiast in terms of hundredths of seconds because, frankly, it seems absolutely absurd. This is currently the fastest accelerating production car in the world period! I have no doubt we will see sub 2.0 second 0-60 with 1ft of rollout. This is only the first official independent test and they got within 8/100ths of a second on an unprepared surface. Given the lengths that Tesla went to to assure a prepped surface, I think that is a pretty surprising result and shows us how close they actually are to the numbers in real world driving.
If hundredths of a second didn't matter, why did Tesla say 1.99 and not 2.0? Hundredths matter. Why don't they race to the nearest tenth of a second? It matters.

And also, if hundredths don't matter, then we are not talking about 8 hundredths of a second, we are talking about a tenth of a second, because you would round to the nearest tenth. So from your perspective, they ran a 2.1 second 0-60. You can't say it doesn't matter, and then round the number the wrong way to support your feelings.

I personally don't care about a specific test or validation, but numbers are numbers.

If hundredths of a second didn't matter, why did Tesla say 1.99 and not 2.0? Hundredths matter. Why don't they race to the nearest tenth of a second? It matters.

And also, if hundredths don't matter, then we are not talking about 8 hundredths of a second, we are talking about a tenth of a second, because you would round to the nearest tenth. So from your perspective, they ran a 2.1 second 0-60. You can't say it doesn't matter, and then round the number the wrong way to support your feelings.

I personally don't care about a specific test or validation, but numbers are numbers.
Agreed! 👍 :)

Reactions: HumanInput
Tesla named it a High Powered Wall Charger. That was back in the days when you could add a second onboard charger as an option on your S to double charging speed. IIRC, my S would charge at 56 mph
Sorry bud, but HPWC stands for "High Power Wall Connector", and "Charger" is just the misnomer version a lot of folks use. I didn't wanna go here, but you're just asking my pedantic side to show its insufferable self.

It’s the ability to say “under 2 seconds”.

I personally cannot wait for this car to get tested by those magazines, and to start dominating! It will be a summer to remember for sure!:)
I cannot wait to regular folks to hit these numbers and maybe get some of these car mags to adjust their attitude a bit. I mean if goofball here can hit 2.1s on some random California backroad, I am sure someone with some access to flat, smooth asphalt can get under 2 sec. Heck, finding a driver closer to their ideal BMI is probably good for another tenth of a sec.