Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the customers' POV, one of the most common needs/problems is the slowness of communicating VINs. Financing and insurance etc. is all dependent on having it, yet many don't get theirs till the delivery is under weigh!! This seems to reflect a big procedural gap. The VIN is stamped on the body in white even in advance of painting. What is lacking is recording in the order DB, so that the customer can be immediately notified and get on with things.

Making VIN communication timely would ease a lot of frustrations, it seems to me.

My personal experience tends to influence my opinion that they shouldn't be handing out VINs until cars pass inspection. When the car is ready to ship, it goes to the next person in line with that configuration instead of putting people in the back of the line because their car doesn't pass inspection or holding back early cars because they need parts.

Amazing tour this morning thanks to Mike! I took a ton of photos. Car is finally here, just need the CF spoiler and 4.0 update. Only issue is the right front door is really hard to slam closed, but the service center says there is nothing wrong with it. Also, no slacker for Ps, but Tune is is not bad. Everything fits and works great. I didn't realize how much alcantra there is in the car: the backseats, headliner, etc. all look so posh! No issues whatsoever except when the nav is on sometimes the music stops playing for no reason. So happy to finally have my car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
2012-12-08 09.51.06.jpg
2012-12-08 10.05.18.jpg

2012-12-08 09.49.08.jpg
2012-12-08 09.59.20.jpg
2012-12-08 10.01.30.jpg
2012-12-08 10.14.30.jpg
2012-12-08 10.09.35.jpg
2012-12-08 10.04.23.jpg
2012-12-08 10.13.39.jpg
photo (5).jpg
photo (6).jpg
photo (7).jpg
photo (8).JPG

The last picture is pearl on the left and my white on the right! I think the white is brighter while the pearl is more sparkly.

Attachments

• 2012-12-08 08.58.17.jpg
    2012-12-08 08.58.17.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 920
Last edited:
My turn! Or, OK, some of my fellow reservation holders might take issue with that phrase... let's say that I won in the configuration/geography/batching lottery. Picked up blue lightning this morning.
Non-performance 85, blue, tan leather, pano roof, 24 miles on the car and VIN in the 1700's for those keeping track. (Parcel shelf and kids seat on the due bill)

Here's some pics, among them my son handing me the key. It was a surreal moment...

We drove straight from the factory to Aldo's restaurant in Santa Cruz. The car took the hills on 17 with great gusto... :-D

Skärmavbild 2012-12-08 kl. 16.39.58.png

Skärmavbild 2012-12-08 kl. 16.40.41.png

Skärmavbild 2012-12-08 kl. 18.44.24.png

Last edited:
Sorry to side track, but do you mean there's no free Slacker account on the Ps, or no Slacker app at all? If there's none at all, that's going to be a serious bummer (and I don't see why they would remove it...)

There is slacker, my DS just said that they had run out of user IDs to hand out (or something like that). They will push them out to the cars once they get more of them.

- - - Updated - - -

I won't tell, if you don't tell. And Mike was completely unaware that Contaygious even took those pictures. :wink:

And that certainly looks like a factory cranking at full production making cars...

OK, I'm hesitant about writing this post but here goes... I'll be the last to try and tell anybody what they can or can't post - but just food for thought. Consider:

1. This is a public forum.
2. We know TM doesn't want you to take pictures on the tour.
3. We know TM reads this forum.

Now what if the next TMC member goes to take delivery at Fremont and want to take the tour and gets the response that "we don't offer that any more because when we did some guy posted pictures on the internet".
Do you really want to be "some guy"?

They can say that if that's the way the door is designed to be closed.

We've discussed that it has something to do with getting a firm seal. After awhile, the difficulty wore off and now my passengers are not consistently unable to shut that door. So, my suggestion is to give it a few weeks and see if its still a problem at that point, because it seems to have largely gone away for me.

There is slacker, my DS just said that they had run out of user IDs to hand out (or something like that). They will push them out to the cars once they get more of them.

I wonder. Someone in this thread sez sigs get a year of Slacker free; I figured Ps wouldn't get an ID to use (presuming "user ID" = "year free").

While I doubt Tesla's looking around for this, it's also worth noting:

4. Many folks have their reservation # in their sig, on the left, or elsewhere easily found, so essentially they know who many of us are. ;-)

This is what my friend with Sig 1062 was told as well, so it's got nothing to do with Production or not. They ran out of Slacker accounts and some Sigs were affected as well. I figure Tesla's not in a huge hurry to start charging for Slacker and 3G connectivity, t least relative to their desire to get as many cars as possible produced this year. Next year they'll get to the due bill stuff, charging for connection etc. once they've gotten this giant wave of cars out the door.

Now what if the next TMC member goes to take delivery at Fremont and want to take the tour and gets the response that "we don't offer that any more because when we did some guy posted pictures on the internet".
Do you really want to be "some guy"?

I hear you, but I think that Tesla is probably willing to forgive. They just had an entire documentary about their factory. I doubt they'd get too mad at Contaygious who bought a nice shiny expensive car from them and is excitedly promoting that car to all his friends and relatives.

I hear you, but I think that Tesla is probably willing to forgive. They just had an entire documentary about their factory. I doubt they'd get too mad at Contaygious who bought a nice shiny expensive car from them and is excitedly promoting that car to all his friends and relatives.

I doubt that. They don't want photos of their process of building online. The documentary was filmed before they really went live with mass producing cars. Some of the film was from last year and up through May/June of this year. Last year they allowed photos of the factory, before real production began.

I hope to pick up my car from the factory in the next couple of weeks and if I am told they no longer do tours because some jack*** posted their photos online, I will be extremely upset.