Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Convertible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes this was posted about a few months ago when that company announced they were going to do a convertible conversion but that is the first time I've seen the result for real. What is shown in that report is a "prototype": notice that the top does not fold down into the body, it's shown folder and on top of the rear trunk area.

And the company says they are planning on offering a four-door to two-door conversion into a coupe body style as well.

In both cases you lose some functionality: either trunk space when the folded top is fully recessed into the body, or easy access to the back seats with only two doors. And your bank account loses a lot of dollars. But I'm sure there will be some people who want to do it anyway.

I saw the original announcement a few month back that NCE was going to make a convertible Model S, and I was looking forward to it.

I'm rather disappointed with that one - a heavy roll bar that's close enough to maybe interfere with the driver's head in some seat positions, a top that compromises the rear view, and those wings sticking forward on both sides of the rear seat passengers.

I was hoping for more from the concept pictures. Oh, well.
Walter

I saw the original announcement a few month back that NCE was going to make a convertible Model S, and I was looking forward to it.

I'm rather disappointed with that one - a heavy roll bar that's close enough to maybe interfere with the driver's head in some seat positions, a top that compromises the rear view, and those wings sticking forward on both sides of the rear seat passengers.

I was hoping for more from the concept pictures. Oh, well.
Walter

Equally disappointed here...
...an awful lot of unresolved issues and Details.

Biggest one begins with obscured rear vision when roof is down.
I see some of the really clever folding roofs of BMW3, Lexus coupe, Infinity coupe, VW Eos, and well: this just completely misses the mark.
Even Porsche makes better convertibles than this attempt.

Too many compromises, not enough forward thinking design and execution.

Equally disappointed here...
...an awful lot of unresolved issues and Details.

Biggest one begins with obscured rear vision when roof is down.
I see some of the really clever folding roofs of BMW3, Lexus coupe, Infinity coupe, VW Eos, and well: this just completely misses the mark.
Even Porsche makes better convertibles than this attempt.

Too many compromises, not enough forward thinking design and execution.

I agree. This is a fail.

on the road:
convertible Tesla foto's Autojunk.nl (125441)

image_03.jpg

image_04.jpg