Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Brake & Accelerator Pedal Positions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I concur. I find this "issue" mystifying. The pedals in the S seem much the same as the pedals in other cars I have owned. Nothing wrong with them from my point of view.

Same here. I've hit both pedals when driving other cars too and it's about as frequent as the Model S (once every six months or so). Only the DS-21 totally prevented this because there wasn't a brake pedal.

For those who have not experienced, this is not issue of foot slipping off one pedal or hitting wrong pedal. It is issue of catching a bit of accel pedal while braking due to combo of brake travel depth and proximity of pedals. It's not an issue of foot size. Probably more related to driving style. Here's full assessment: David Noland suggests Model S pedal placement is a safety hazard - Page 12

This has happened to me twice, the first time almost causing an accident. As to why it affects some and not others is likely due to differences in seat position, how the person sits in the seat, type of shoes, etc etc etc. Tesla should fix this via software update if they can.

What am I doing "wrong" to have never had this problem? I've even driven for hours with snow covered snowmobile boots on last winter without even coming close to hitting the wrong pedal.
I agree. I'm a size 13 mens, and even wearing my heavy winter boots last winter, I have NEVER had a occurrence in my 37,000 miles with this car where I (accept intentionally) hit both pedals at the same time. Now, my old Alfa Romeo... Thats a different story...

What am I doing "wrong" to have never had this problem? I've even driven for hours with snow covered snowmobile boots on last winter without even coming close to hitting the wrong pedal.
You must be good at hitting the middle of the brake pedal. I tend to hit the right side of the pedal, (probably related to pure laziness). If I'm wearing my sandals (which are only slightly wider than my other shoes), I sometimes overlap, but I've never felt like braking was compromised. My other EV has an accelerator pedal that is recessed in comparison to the brake, but that also has it's drawbacks--I can't wear my pull over snow boots. When I do, there isn't enough room between the brake and the console, which results in my foot getting trapped behind the brake pedal. Nearly drove through the back wall of the garage the first time I went outside wearing those suckers (to move the car into the garage after a big snow).

Also a complicating factor for your's truly is my tendency to drive with both knees out because my legs are so long. This results in the sole of my right foot tilting to the right, which preferentially applies the accelerator.

Just wanted to chime in and say that this happened to me twice, where one of the occations was a very scary experience that could have lead to an accident.

It was the first time I ever needed a hard brake in the car, and the braking power was horrible. It wasn't until after I realised what had happened. I think I was wearing safety shoes, which are a little bigger than normal shoes, but not that much difference.

Accelerating while braking should absolutely not be possible. I'm actually pretty concered about this :(

Last edited:
I've just ordered 3d printer and brake pedal pad is one of the projects I've planned but I'm concerned about if/how to supply to others due to liability. Any lawyers got suggestions?
You would also think that by now Tesla would have some liability concern considering all the unintended acceleration lawsuits suffered by the other manufacturers, and would have a software fix for this. My S still will spin the rear wheels when both pedals are pressed essentially at the same time (actually, probably the brake pedal is the first to move since I've lifted my foot completely off the accelerator and moved it to the left to hit the brake).

Fortunately the weight shift to the front overpowers the rears, but the stopping distance lengthens significantly, not to mention all the screeching of tires when one pair is trying to stop the car and the other pair is trying to accelerate. The rear end also tries to swing around since there is excess leverage applied from the rear. Nearly rear-ended a truck today that unexpectedly slammed on his brakes, despite having sufficient room for a normal stop. Got home and verified that the condition still exists (on the safety of my gravel driveway). Every spring I revisit this safety issue the first time I strap on my Tevas (which are wider than my other shoes).

I think the reason that I experience this with the S, but not with any other car that I have driven, is the lack of a center console. After a while my right knee tends to drift into the console zone, resulting in the end of my right foot deviating to the right. During a panic stop I don't have time to straighten my leg, so the heel is lined up well on the pedal, but the toes hang over the accelerator.

Last edited:
I think the reason that I experience this with the S, but not with any other car that I have driven, is the lack of a center console. After a while my right knee tends to drift into the console zone, resulting in the end of my right foot deviating to the right. During a panic stop I don't have time to straighten my leg, so the heel is lined up well on the pedal, but the toes hang over the accelerator.

I think you may be onto something here. I have also never had this problem before, even with sports cars with intentionally close-set pedals for enabling heel/toe during braking/downshifts. I also notice I have a tendency to relax my leg toward the center. If this theory is correct, the problem should not happen as much with RHD cars overseas.

What hell hath we wrought?? I'll admit to having the occasional double pedal problem, and posting about it (constructively, I hope) in this and other threads.

Last week, I had a loaner with current brake position (I presume updated as result of these issues reported by myself and others). Well, I hate to seem like Goldilocks, but before it was TOO LOW, now it is TOO HIGH. Practically missed it the first time I tried to brake. We need JUST RIGHT! I guess I'm going to learn to live with my CLASSIC pedal setup.

I love my classic pedal setup. Last year I learned to drive with left foot braking! It has come in very handy on many occasions for red light runners and pedestrians not looking.

I must be daft or something because I have not noticed one iota of difference between the pedals on my early 2013 car and a number of (newer) loaners that I have driven. And I find the pedal placement just fine for me, even with my big heavy winter boots on.

I wish the car wouldn't limit accelerator power with the brake engaged, this also can be 'useful' in some drifty situations

Yeah, in fact it can be a bit scary when it happens. I find that even after I let go of the brake, it takes a beat or two for power to come back to the accelerator pedal.