Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y 1st drive of my new car - Foot slipped off brake pedal to accelerator

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

muru

Apr 15, 2023
chicago
Model Y 1st Drive of show room floor it was great to use one pedal. I got use one pedal driving that allowed control car. Soon realized the brake pedal was small, 1st time I used brake pedal, my leg actually slipped brake pedal into accelerator. Did other have same problem? Then i figured out that i need outside part of the brake and not inside part of brake. Too much stick shift driving causing bad habit hitting the inside part the brakes.

Wondering other ran into same problems as well and how to they get around it. There are always better solution.

Solution
I'm not sure what you're talking about with inside and outside parts of the peddle.

I've driven manual transmission vehicles for over 25 years as my primary cars. My Model Y is my first non-manual transmission car. I had no trouble making the change to one peddle driving. Which is kind of weird because driving automatic transmission gas car I often times would motion to hit the clutch when coming to a stop, but I don't do that in the EV.
I had been daily driving manuals for 15 years and it was never a problem with my Tesla or other automatics. The brake pedal should be much bigger than the one in manual cars.

Just have to relearn where you put your foot if you were used to just catching the edge of the brake pedal instead of putting your whole foot on it.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you're talking about with inside and outside parts of the peddle.

I've driven manual transmission vehicles for over 25 years as my primary cars. My Model Y is my first non-manual transmission car. I had no trouble making the change to one peddle driving. Which is kind of weird because driving automatic transmission gas car I often times would motion to hit the clutch when coming to a stop, but I don't do that in the EV.

Reactions: lawmangr
Upvote 0
Solution

i go margin of errors details which means even if your foot slips brake pedal it wont hit accelerator pedal. I never had this kind slip where i hit accelerator before. I just wanting make sure even slip happens i dont fall on accelerator. Lucky for me it surge and stopped in two feet to stop.

I have driven stick shift and automatic for more than 35 years never had this slip like this before. This includes various sports car as well.

Upvote 0
Model Y 1st Drive of show room floor it was great to use one pedal. I got use one pedal driving that allowed control car. Soon realized the brake pedal was small, 1st time I used brake pedal, my leg actually slipped brake pedal into accelerator. Did other have same problem? Then i figured out that i need outside part of the brake and not inside part of brake. Too much stick shift driving causing bad habit hitting the inside part the brakes.

Wondering other ran into same problems as well and how to they get around it. There are always better solution.
If you learn to never use the brake like 99% of EV drivers your foot will never slide off the brake.

Upvote 0

Welcome!

For me, there was a lot to get used to when I first drove a Tesla. I don't remember my foot slipping off the brake pedal but I did make other silly mistakes. I haven't seen other people reporting this problem so I would chalk it up to getting used to the car.

Do what works for you. I suggest spending time to learn how to get the most out of the car. It's great fun but it's different enough from other cars I've driven that it took me a while, especially learning how to best use autopilot. Here are a few tips:
  • One detent up on the right stalk disengages autopilot, but 2 up puts it in reverse
  • Press the button on the right stalk for several seconds to engage the parking brake
  • Press the current speed or posted speed on the touchscreen to set the max speed when AP is engaged
  • The blinkers are weird. I disabled Auto Cancel turn signals because they do not work well where I live,
  • In which case, one detent up or down on the left stalk disables the blinkers
  • If turning left and then right, (or vice versa) it's tricky to disable the left blinker then enable the right
  • You can't disable auto-brights or auto-wipers when AP is engaged
  • With AP enabled I often use the right scroll wheel a lot to set the speed
  • You can also use the accelerator to go at a speed higher than the AP max speed
  • The car is cautious about vehicles crossing or slowing to turn up ahead. I'm ready to use the accelerator when I see this
  • IMO the max follow distance is too short so I change speed or pass to avoid following a car too closely
  • I treat AP as driver assistance, not driver replacement. I love it and use it for about 80% of my driving
  • If the auto-wipers turn on when there is no rain then it's time to clean my windshield

Reactions: Wattsisname
Upvote 0
Ah! The indicators; I was grateful to @Wannabeanowner wayback when he explained the wipers to waiting room newbees. In UK and the Mainland we have "multi-spoke" roundabouts everywhere . Generally (and for the sake the wiper explanation), for safe negotiation of the roundabout, at least two changes of direction are required to be signalled; on entry and exit.

So, with the Tesla it goes : apply then switch off then reapply then switch off

Although we are familiar with one move for left/right or right/left, and centre for off, as with most Tesla "features," their use soon becomes fluid and second nature........almost😉

Last edited:
Reactions: BitJam
Upvote 0
Welcome!

For me, there was a lot to get used to when I first drove a Tesla. I don't remember my foot slipping off the brake pedal but I did make other silly mistakes. I haven't seen other people reporting this problem so I would chalk it up to getting used to the car.

Do what works for you. I suggest spending time to learn how to get the most out of the car. It's great fun but it's different enough from other cars I've driven that it took me a while, especially learning how to best use autopilot. Here are a few tips:
  • One detent up on the right stalk disengages autopilot, but 2 up puts it in reverse
  • Press the button on the right stalk for several seconds to engage the parking brake
  • Press the current speed or posted speed on the touchscreen to set the max speed when AP is engaged
  • The blinkers are weird. I disabled Auto Cancel turn signals because they do not work well where I live,
  • In which case, one detent up or down on the left stalk disables the blinkers
  • If turning left and then right, (or vice versa) it's tricky to disable the left blinker then enable the right
  • You can't disable auto-brights or auto-wipers when AP is engaged
  • With AP enabled I often use the right scroll wheel a lot to set the speed
  • You can also use the accelerator to go at a speed higher than the AP max speed
  • The car is cautious about vehicles crossing or slowing to turn up ahead. I'm ready to use the accelerator when I see this
  • IMO the max follow distance is too short so I change speed or pass to avoid following a car too closely
  • I treat AP as driver assistance, not driver replacement. I love it and use it for about 80% of my driving
  • If the auto-wipers turn on when there is no rain then it's time to clean my windshield
FWIW, you can disable the Auto-brights when AP is engaged. Just push forward on the left stalk. They will stay off until you cancel and re-engage AP. But you have to do this every time you engage AP. I wish there was a way to do this with the Auto wipers but there isn't.

Upvote 0
FWIW, you can disable the Auto-brights when AP is engaged. Just push forward on the left stalk. They will stay off until you cancel and re-engage AP. But you have to do this every time you engage AP. I wish there was a way to do this with the Auto wipers but there isn't.
Is this new? I push the left stalk to manually turn the brights on and off while AP is engaged but it doesn't disable auto-brights. For me auto-brights work well about 90% of the time. I manually turn them on and off for the other 10%. I would be disappointed if I could no longer mix manual control with auto-brights.

It seems they recently fixed an annoying bug where the brights would automatically turn on when I disengage AP with the right stalk.

Upvote 0