Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Annual Service Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, we've had other threads that discussed all the permutations and combinations of service plans, the "Extended Service Agreement" etc. Can we please keep this thread to what folks actually got done during an annual service visit?

I just had mine in for it's FIRST service at 23k miles. The work order was like 6 or 7 pages long of like 18 different items including lots of TSBs.

Yobigd, any chance you can scan and post this work order (with your personal info redacted, of course)? Thanks!

So if you could do it all over again at today's pricing, would which Service Plan would you choose?

A) None (pay as you go)
B) 4-Year Plan
C) 4-Year +4 Year Extension

IMHO, the need for Ranger service would be dictated by an owner's distance from their Tesla Service Center (for most people).

I would go for the 4-year plan (not with the 4-year extension that I also bought). I don't need Ranger Service being so close to the SC.

I originally bought the 4+4 plan because I was told it was compulsory to have the inspection every year or 12,500 miles and I drive about twice that distance annually. I needed the 4+4 just to get 4 years out of it.

Now with it being "optional" from a warranty coverage viewpoint, I would just take it in once a year regardless of mileage.

You should get valet service without the service agreement.. according to Elon Musk's April announcement "Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program":
Valet Service
Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.

Can anyone without Ranger service confirm that they get valet service?

So if you could do it all over again at today's pricing, would which Service Plan would you choose?

A) None (pay as you go)
B) 4-Year Plan
C) 4-Year +4 Year Extension

IMHO, the need for Ranger service would be dictated by an owner's distance from their Tesla Service Center (for most people).

FWIW, once you have the 4 year plan, you can add the +4 and/or Ranger options later. Avail through MyTesla...

I too purchased my plan days before Elon came out and said you didn't need to. I then email/called Tesla and asked for my money back. They credited back my card a few days later. So far the best decision I've ever made. When I take my car in for a rattle or a TSB, I get the software updates and all TSB's many of you talk about that. I usually leave with a 7 page list of what they've done. No charge. My coolant doesn't get changed not do I think it needs to be, and my tires are not rotated but they are staggered so thats mostly a waste. I get them rotated for free at Americas Tire.

You should get valet service without the service agreement.. according to Elon Musk's April announcement "Creating the World’s Best Service and Warranty Program":
Valet Service
Your time is valuable and should not be spent driving to or waiting at our service centers. Tesla is putting in place a valet service, so that your car is seamlessly picked up and replaced with a loaner and then returned as soon as we are done. There is no additional charge for this.

Can anyone without Ranger service confirm that they get valet service?

Actually, I can confirm that you don't get Valet Service with Ranger service, if you are more than 50 miles from a Service Center. They will come service your car, but they will not bring you a loaner. I know this is completely contradictory to what is posted on the Tesla Service website and in Elon's April 2013 blog post, but this is a recent edict/directive issued to all Service Centers. I have it in writing (email) from the Columbus, OH service center, which is a fantastic team that has bent over backwards for me twice already with Ranger visits. They are not "allowed" to send loaners more than 50 miles from the SC.

Here is what I was told by Tesla Service (with apologies to GG for straying off topic):

[Begin quote from email to me from Tesla Service Manager, who was extremely helpful and patient in explaining this to me]

" Good afternoon. My apologies for the delay in hopping into this thread. I do understand where you are coming from and want to jump in and help define Ranger Service, Valet and our Loaner program.

· Valet:
Offered in major metropolitan areas within 50 miles of the service center
· Ranger:
Offered anywhere in the USA and Canada to customers outside of 50 miles
· Loaner Cars:
§ Offered in conjunction with valet in major metropolitan areas within 50 miles of the service center
§ Offered when the customer drops off their car at Service"

[End Quote]

He went on to say that they would send me a loaner anyway on my first service to make up for any confusion on the policy (and the fact that the next closest SC said they would send me a loaner, before this edict was issued) and even possibly in the future if circumstances allowed.

I too purchased my plan days before Elon came out and said you didn't need to. I then email/called Tesla and asked for my money back. They credited back my card a few days later. So far the best decision I've ever made. When I take my car in for a rattle or a TSB, I get the software updates and all TSB's many of you talk about that. I usually leave with a 7 page list of what they've done. No charge. My coolant doesn't get changed not do I think it needs to be, and my tires are not rotated but they are staggered so thats mostly a waste. I get them rotated for free at Americas Tire.

I have mixed emotions on this one. I'm certainly glad that Tesla has stepped up and acknowledged that you shouldn't need "compulsory" inspections to maintain warranty, but I had kinda hoped for at least some little perk for sticking with it and keeping my 4+4 Plan in place. It appears that I'm getting absolutely nothing for the money that I paid in advance for this service. I'm taking my car in next week for it's first "Annual" along with 2 pages of issues I need addressed. From what you say, it appears I could have taken my car in for these issues without the Service Plan and still received all of the TSBs and perks that were supposed to come only with the Plan.

So I thought having Ranger service was useful if you were on a trip away from a SC. I also thought that Ranger service (even within 50 mi of an SC) meant you would get a Range at home or work rather than having to go to the SC.

Is the above saying that neither of my understandings are true?

No I think both of your statements are correct. Those are benefits of the Ranger service...they come to you.

I was specifically commenting on the idea that if Rangers come and get your vehicle to take it back to an SC for service (as I had envisioned they would for annual service, particularly if I needed tired rotated or replaced, though my assumption may have been incorrect), they will not bring you a loaner, if you are >50 miles from an SC.

So I thought having Ranger service was useful if you were on a trip away from a SC. I also thought that Ranger service (even within 50 mi of an SC) meant you would get a Range at home or work rather than having to go to the SC.

Is the above saying that neither of my understandings are true?

I didn't get the Ranger service, so maybe that perk would still be in place with the Plan if you got that option. On the other hand, you have to pay extra for Ranger service or can get it for $100 a pop, so maybe it isn't really a "perk".

I live just a few miles from the SC and have CAA/AAA for anywhere that I'd need a tow anyway.

Actually, I can confirm that you don't get Valet Service with Ranger service, if you are more than 50 miles from a Service Center. They will come service your car, but they will not bring you a loaner. I know this is completely contradictory to what is posted on the Tesla Service website and in Elon's April 2013 blog post, but this is a recent edict/directive issued to all Service Centers. I have it in writing (email) from the Columbus, OH service center, which is a fantastic team that has bent over backwards for me twice already with Ranger visits. They are not "allowed" to send loaners more than 50 miles from the SC.

If this is the new statement from Tesla Motors.... it's not cool, it doesn't match what they did before, and they should reverse it immediately. People who bought Ranger service did so because, y'know, they are a *long way from a service center*. Obviously, most Ranger work is done on-site, but if it needs to go to a service center... then Tesla ought to provide a loaner. For people many many miles from a service center, they should, anyway. Tesla's already sending up the flatbed!

Hopefully this will become an irrelevant question soon as more service centers are established, but right now I'm 215 miles from a Service Center -- and there are people who are even further, 300 miles or more. Are they seriously going to say "Go rent a gasoline car"? That is very poor, from a marketing POV.

- - - Updated - - -

It appears that I'm getting absolutely nothing for the money that I paid in advance for this service.

Yeah. I'm feeling the same way, frankly. Hopefully Tesla will make that right by making it clear that they will do a substantially more comprehensive checkup than the one published so far during the (extremely expensive) annual service. Or by offering upgrades like the 2nd generation fog lights (rather than the 1st generation which I have) as an included feature of the service package -- remember when they said that the service package would include hardware upgrades?

Being where I am out in "Ranger land", Tesla isn't even going to rotate my tires. So what did I prepay for in the service package? Topping off the wiper fluid? I think I can do that for less than $2400.

I am considering the 4+4 without ranger service (my house is 44 miles to the SC) because I drive about 25k miles every year and I want to make sure the car is in tip top condition. However, my one remaining question is something that I can't seem to find compared in the forum...what major work is different on the service plan that isn't covered under the normal warranty? Anything that is not working correctly on the car I would assume is covered under the first 4 years. So other than brake repairs and tire rotations and wiper blades...what am I paying for?

I am assuming that all of those visually inspected items on the list should be done anyway under warranty? Am I wrong?

If you are >50 miles from the SC, and the vehicle has an issue that makes it not drivable, doesn't roadside assistance from the standard warranty come and pick up the car?
Perhaps the advantage to the Ranger service is that they bring a loaner for you?
That could be tough if they do not dispatch immediately and you are off the beaten track far from an SC.